Author Topic: 2016 World Cup - Knock-Out Stage  (Read 22688 times)

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
2016 World Cup - Knock-Out Stage
« on: November 16, 2016, 02:23:29 PM »
Here are the fixtures for the Quarter-final part of Knock-out Stage of the World Cup.

Here are also expansions that will be used for the whole Knock-out stage. I have tried to make the games as balanced as possible, and as interesting as possible :) It's a pity that I won't take part in these games, as I'd love to try these combinations by myself.

QF:
Traders and Builders + Abbey and Mayor + The Corn Circles + Mage and Witch + Wind Roses + The Phantom = 127 tiles (starting tile is replaced by Wind rose tile)

SF:
Inns and Cathedrals + The Tower + The Festival + The Flier + The Goldmines + The German Monasteries = 134 tiles (cloisters from the base game have to be removed)

Final:
Traders and Builders + The Princess and The Dragon + Abbey and Mayor + Bridges, Castles and Bazaars + The Count of Carcassonne (tiles only) + The River II + The Besiegers + The Festival + GQ11 + The Phantom = 188 tiles (starting tile and river spring tile are removed)

Please, make appointments and play your games! Good luck to everyone!

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2968.0
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 10:40:42 PM by MrNumbers »
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline Valheru

• Marquis
  • Merit: 19
  • More tiles, less rules!
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 World Cup - Knock-Out Stage
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 01:55:33 AM »
That final though!  :o  :D
"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming..."

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 05:17:12 AM »
Thanks for planning this out MrNumbers - looks like it should be fun (and horrendous)... :o

Just a point though, I remember seeing a post from someone playing in the welcome tournament that they'd spotted a bug with Wind Roses in that the bonus wasn't awarded if the tile is placed, undone and then placed again. I may be wrong and I can't vouch for this as I haven't tested it yet, but if someone could confirm if this works properly that would be great!

Think I may need to practice with little buildings too. I've never used them!

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 05:27:32 AM »
I remember seeing a post from someone playing in the welcome tournament that they'd spotted a bug with Wind Roses in that the bonus wasn't awarded if the tile is placed, undone and then placed again.
Yes, there is such bug. Just be aware of it! :)
Also, remember about the bug with a pennant on a tower tile.

looks like it should be fun (and horrendous)... :o
Yes, especially final game. This game could be called - Field scoring skill game ;D
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 05:30:15 AM by MrNumbers »

Offline JoeSesquipedalian

• Duke
  • Merit: 10
  • ǝuuossɐɔɹɐɔ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 07:15:14 AM »
Just a point though, I remember seeing a post from someone playing in the welcome tournament that they'd spotted a bug with Wind Roses in that the bonus wasn't awarded if the tile is placed, undone and then placed again. I may be wrong and I can't vouch for this as I haven't tested it yet, but if someone could confirm if this works properly that would be great!

Yes Dan, there is a bug with Wind Roses.  You can get unlimited points by placing the WR tile in the correct region, CTRL-Z undoing, re-placing the tile, repeating this process.   :(n)

Also, I believe there is a bug with the little buildings making them very difficult to both Select and See on playing area.  Other people have noted this issue as well.  This bug seems to only affect the latest version of JCZ as I have used the little buildings in previous versions without problems.   :(n)

I need to practice with the Tower.  I've only played 2 games with it and I found it very hard to get used to.   :green-meeple:
Who got a smudge on the tile?

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 07:22:59 AM »

Yes Dan, there is a bug with Wind Roses.  You can get unlimited points by placing the WR tile in the correct region, CTRL-Z undoing, re-placing the tile, repeating this process.   :(n)

Ouch. That sounds like it could be easily missed, so I will download and use some screen recording software for our game so that it can be scrutinised afterwards to see if either of us got any more points than we were supposed to!

Will drop you a PM to discuss when we can play Joe...

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 07:44:26 AM »
I must admit, that Little Buildings in JCZ 3.4.2 is completely unusable. So, I will exclude them from used expansions list.
I will change the picture on Monday, since the original Excel file is on my work PC.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 07:51:29 AM »
I am not in the knockout round, but I would suggest removing Wind Roses because of this bug. I don't think it adds enough to the game to make it worthwhile including it with a known bug. Actually I find it so uninteresting as an expansion that I've never played with it even though I do own one of the two versions (which was a gift).

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 07:58:34 AM »
Bug with Wind Roses isn't so critical to not to play with them. We all are fair players and will not exploit this bug (I hope). But, if players vote for excluding it, I'll do it.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 03:15:45 PM »
Bug with Wind Roses isn't so critical to not to play with them. We all are fair players and will not exploit this bug (I hope). But, if players vote for excluding it, I'll do it.

I just had a quick practice game with Wind Roses against Adda. I only drew one of the Wind Rose tiles and couldn't make my mind up about where to place it. Still, my indecisiveness seems to have worked well for me (see attached) 8) :(y)

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2016, 01:35:57 AM »
I played a practice game with Grabushka last night because there are a couple of expansions she had never played with.
It was clear it was not our official World Cup game but she kept saying the whole game "If I win, I win right?" :P , and she did! so that was funny. I helped her a lot though, even shared pretty much all my strategy tips (how to close fields with corner of the abbey tile, how to re-score barns with pig multiple times, etc. etc. etc.) so she will re-use all this for the real game next time!! ouch!  :o  Our game is scheduled for tonight btw, but we also need to pack our suitcases so hopefully we'll have time!

EDIT:  Bug with Wind Roses was not an issue for us  :D
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 01:38:49 AM by Jéré »

Offline What If?

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 12
  • Carcasstoned
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2016, 06:33:01 AM »
Hello all!

I´d like to second the motion to skip wind roses, even an honest mistake gives three points. How can you differentiate between them?
Maybe I shouldn´t buy kathars, what would I do next?

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2016, 01:49:15 PM »
Face-to-Face Elo comparison:

Leven (1381) vs. What If? (1256)

Jéré (1352) vs. Grabushka (1230)

danisthirty (1301) vs. JoeSesquipedalian (1270)

khalidqasrawi (1363) vs zone2 (1286)

Offline khalidqasrawi

• Duke
  • Merit: 9
  • Never deplete - always complete
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2016, 02:27:28 AM »
 :red-meeple: khalidqasrawi 367 : 351 Zone2  :blue-meeple:

ELO ratings prevailed in my match against Zone2 but only just.  This match felt lost to me from just a few tiles in.  Imelda sat quietly next to me.  She glanced at my screen from time to time, not uttering a word.  I'd declared the game thoroughly lost after just 10 minutes!

As the first few tiles were turned it and the centre filled with tiny cities, it was clear that farming was in order.  Zone2 played precisely.  Every move I was losing momentum then a slip from me and his barn was down.  The game was over.  Already the barn farm had 6 cities.  Already he was ready to merge further farms on with meeples lined up for the killer meeple + pig tactic.  Already he'd bifurcated and stolen the large city I built in the east.  All was lost.  There was no way I'd be allowed to join my barn to his.  I had to place my abbey early to stop the south east farms getting on.  And all this was just the first 40 odd tiles.

In the end, my decision after that poor start may have rescued my situation.  Zone2 gained confidence and started playing tiles more quickly and conventionally, using the builder, I was spending all my time defending.  I decided to eliminate thoughts of what was likely to be a crushing defeat and continue as if I had just started with a clean slate.  This must have been at 60 tiles to go.  All energies focused, I started building a new life in the north west.  Piece by piece I was building a farm.  Then my barn went on.  Things started to look a little better.  His barn was not quite trapped but hard to improve on.  I got a useful RFFF tile which opened things up further for my barn farm and a series of gloms of farmer plus pig probably made up the points.  In the end I won, but not without some mental trauma.  This match was the most draining that I've played here.  Thanks Zone2 for the immense battle.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2016, 04:40:01 AM »
This match was the most draining that I've played here.

More draining than that easy victory you won over me on Monday? :P

Seriously though, congratulations to both players on what sounds like an incredibly hard-fought game. And well done to khalid especially for turning things around after getting off to what sounds like an epicly bad start! :) :(y)

Glad to see my fellow Group D competitor doing so well. My match with Joe is scheduled for tonight...

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
World Cup - Knock-out Stage!

Started by danisthirty

117 Replies
Last post March 04, 2015, 07:01:52 AM
by Jéré
xx
2015 World Cup of Carcassonne Central - Knock-Out Stage

Started by danisthirty

160 Replies
Last post February 08, 2017, 02:46:16 PM