Author Topic: United Kingdom Carcassonne Central Meetup Event 2015  (Read 42374 times)

Offline Curt194

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 8
    • View Profile
Re: United Kingdom Carcassonne Central Meetup Event 2015
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2015, 07:24:36 AM »
I recently acquired a copy of cardcassonne that I'm yet to use so I can bring that along. I realise it's not proper Carcassonne but could be fun.

I'll have a think tonight of any other things I could bring :orange-meeple:

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2015, 02:00:10 AM »
I'm not sure about Cardcassonne, I've heard those guys at Cardcassonne Central can be real jerks  ;D

Honestly though, I've got a bid on the JVMF's copy of Cardcassonne, so would be interested in seeing it played  :(y)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2015, 02:09:13 AM »
I'm not sure about Cardcassonne, I've heard those guys at Cardcassonne Central can be real jerks  ;D

Don't even get me started on those guys... >:(

Honestly though, I've got a bid on the JVMF's copy of Cardcassonne, so would be interested in seeing it played  :(y)

Good luck with it! Looking forward to seeing how it plays...

Offline JT Atomico

• Marquis
  • Merit: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2015, 03:06:39 AM »
My train out of London was delayed by half an hour, but I'll be there soon! I have brought all of the expansions to the base game and also have Carcassonne 2.0 (no expansions) and Adults Of Carcassonne.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2015, 03:14:57 AM »
I just got here!

Took a photo!

I'm excited!

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2015, 06:43:02 AM »
Have fun guys
Just lay the damn tile!

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2015, 07:31:40 AM »
Hope everyone has a great day.
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline Curt194

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2015, 10:34:39 AM »
On the train home now. Thanks everyone for a great day! Was lovely to meet everyone and put faces to names and we had some great games. Loved seeing all the different versions and your fan expansions! I need to get to work on some I think.

Thanks to everyone who had a hand in organising. I really did have a great day :orange-meeple:

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2015, 12:57:58 PM »
Half way home but thought I'd stop to share one more photo:

An enormous 7 player game with: myself, Rich_The_Fish, Piklach, JT Atomico, Curt, Dan and a local called Alan (I think).  It consisted of 3 core boxes and the fan  expansions everyone had brought along.

The Astronomers (6 tiles)
Carcassonne: Rugby (6 tiles)
The Chronicles of Carcassonne (4 tiles)
Tug of War as normal tiles (3 tiles)
Trick or Treat (4 tiles and a meeple)
And
I think it's safe to say everyone's favourite: Sinkholes!

It took about 3hrs but we did stop for 30minutes for lunch!

Thanks to everyone for coming. Ill keep this brief, but Ill be posting some more photos and include some rules for the expansions very soon.

Big thanks to Kettlefish for the prizes and big thank you to Ailurua for this fantastic Dragons, which were used in a game with some local gamers but I think I missed a photo!

Offline DanielRF

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2015, 01:14:34 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the commemorative tiles and dragon, just need to buy the expansion to go with it now! We had a fun couple of hours today playing Carcassonne. Nice to meet other players. If this becomes a regular thing I'm sure we would attend again if we are free.

Daniel and Sarah (from near Rugby).

Offline quevy

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 31, 2015, 01:56:21 PM »
I'm very happy for you, definitely a great day, but at the same time I am sad for not being them.
A knight is sworn to valour.
His heart knows only virtue.
His blade defends the helpless.
His might upholds the weak.
His word speaks only truth.
His wrath undoes the wicked.

:white-meeple: My works.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 31, 2015, 02:29:20 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the commemorative tiles and dragon, just need to buy the expansion to go with it now! We had a fun couple of hours today playing Carcassonne. Nice to meet other players. If this becomes a regular thing I'm sure we would attend again if we are free.

Daniel and Sarah (from near Rugby).

Welcome to the forums Daniel. It was good (albeit brief) meeting you! Hopefully we'll be able to catch up properly next time...

Hope you have lots of fun with Inns & Cathedrals. It's a classic. Traders & Builders is a good next step once you're ready to add something else. :)

Best regards,
Dan

:blue-meeple:

PS - another post coming soon, with photos, but I might leave it at this for this evening, other than to say that it was a fantastic evening and I really enjoyed meeting everyone. Thanks so much for masterminding it Decar!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 31, 2015, 03:24:34 PM »
No time for a proper write-up now but here are some of the photos from the day...

We started off with a game of Carcassonne: Star Wars and it was excellent. The new mechanics were very popular amongst us and we liked the battles as well as the team play. Despite their winning a huge city/ asteroid field, Curt and I were victorious against Tom and Jamie. :green-meeple: :red-meeple: :(y)

Psyching ourselves up for the big game which included 3 sets of basic tiles and 5 of our own specially made expansions. 7 of us played and it took somewhere between 3 and 4 hours to play (including a break for lunch)!

When the first sinkhole appeared, meeples belonging to Jacob, Curt and I all fell into it, forming a neat stack in the process! The Trick or Treater had just been introduced into the game as well, and was about to have a very productive evening...

The landscape grew...

...and grew...

...and grew!

Jamie points out where he wants Tom to place his tile with just a few tiles to go until the end of the game.

This is how things looked at the end of the game; and what a game it was! Despite several unfortunate incidents involving sink-holes I was able to win an equal share in the main farm (too big for us to bother counting properly at the time, but approximately 25 to 30 cities) with my last tile of the game.

EDIT: I've now counted this several times from the photos and it looks to me like it's 31 cities/ 93 points! :o

Rich and Jacob checking out some of Basically Wooden's latest creations. :(y)

Jamie pits his wits against a meeple jigsaw puzzle. :)

Some of the other local gamers who joined us for parts of the day; I believe this is the back of new forum member DanielRF's head (left).

A photo of all of the Carcassonne Central members together before Rich and Jacob went home.

We just about managed a quick game of South Seas with Andy from Basically Wooden before Shadow Games closed at 5pm. Jamie won!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 11:13:45 AM by danisthirty »

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 01, 2015, 01:40:06 AM »
Piklach and I just wanted to say thanks for yesterday, we really enjoyed meeting you guys. That huge game was good fun, particularly with all the fan expansions - lots of great work there, especially with the Halloween and Rugby themed ones which were perfect for the occasion! I will upload instructions for Sinkholes in a moment. Sorry that we had to dash off a little early, it would have been good if we could have stayed until the end, but as you know we were already pushing it given our other commitments - thankfully though we got back reasonably quickly and weren't in too much trouble!

Cheers for the gifts and Welcome Tournament prizes, it was very kind and generous of you. These will be added to the (rather rapidly) growing collection and I can't wait to try Wind Roses I (thanks Kettlefish). There were a few other expansions and character meeples that we saw, which will definitely be going on our Christmas lists!

Finally, a big thanks to Decar for organising the day and to Shadow Games for hosting it. We're already looking forward to the next time.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #74 on: November 01, 2015, 02:52:30 AM »
I don't know where to even start!

I had a fantastic time yesterday - my only intention was to ride on from the success of our preliminary Meetup at the UK Games Expo.  I think it's safe to say we managed it!

DanielRF, great to meet you both; I hope you enjoyed Inns & Cathedrals when you got home!

I think most of us thought that a Carcassonne: Star Wars would lead to more Star Wars fans playing Carcassonne.  However, based on this photo I think we may have a new Star Wars fan in the making  :(y)

Having recounted that enormous Asteroid field (34 points), I can only assume that , due to an unforeseen clerical error, perhaps we were actually 41 point ahead of you by the end of the game rather than 9 points behind.  However such is life during galactic times of strife - I suspect we'll have a rematch soon enough. 

We all loved the dice rolling elements; though we forgot one rule about scoring points for losing battles (it was winner takes all at our table!).  Carcassonne: Star Wars was great fun as a 4-player team game, I'm looking forward to the Dream Team Tournament - http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2129.0

The enormous game of Carcassonne (described above) was great fun.  I love the way the sink-hole sits in the middle of the board too.  Rich & Piklach both deserve merits for this expansion (+2 from me).  The rules were intuitive and easy to pick up.  I love game elements that can be used to remove meeple from the board; it's good fun deciding whether to sinkhole your own meeple or one of your opponent's.

Over the next couple of days, I'll be releasing the mini-expansions we made use of during the game - Watch this space!

Yesterday, was the first time I had played South-Seas (thank you Dan); there were some really interesting decisions to be made there too.

Here's a photo of something Basically Wooden had been working on, definitely a surreal Meeple Temple of some description:

In hindsight - I wish I had turned it upside down, filled it with meeple and offered them as treats to any trick-or-treaters that knocked at the door.  There's always next year!

A tremendous event all in all.  I forgot a big thank you to Niell from Shadow Games & Andrew/Sue from Basically Wooden. 

Just one last photo from me: a nice close up of that commemorative Dragon & Rugby 2015 tile.

Thank you so much to everyone who could find the time to make it!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Carcassonne Central UK Meetup 2015

Started by Decar

0 Replies
Last post August 29, 2015, 12:47:08 PM
by Decar
lamp
When should the Carcassonne Central Chatroom Event be?

Started by Decar

9 Replies
Last post May 14, 2016, 05:16:17 AM
by Decar
xx
Kingdom Builder

Started by Lord_Wishmaster

7 Replies
Last post August 21, 2013, 12:26:14 AM
by Whaleyland
xx
Queen Games - Kingdom Builder-Marshes - Canceled - KickStarter