Author Topic: Cloisters/Monasteries contiguous placement  (Read 2172 times)

Offline Allograft

• Marquis
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Cloisters/Monasteries contiguous placement
« on: February 07, 2021, 03:44:16 PM »
For some reason, I thought that Cloisters could not be contiguous with one another, such that no cloisters could be placed as one of the 8 surrounding a center cloister. Apparently, I was wrong. So, we started playing by the normal rules...but it seems a little easier. So, I'm not really asking for anything other than peoples' experiences or any thoughts that this provokes. -  :pink-meeple:

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=5044.0

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Cloisters/Monasteries contiguous placement
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 03:57:21 PM »
This is what some people call cloisterville... when you get several monasteries together completing each other at times.

The only restriction for monasteries involves shrines (Exp. 6). A shrine cannot be adjacent to more than one monastery / abbey / special monastery / ... and vice versa in order to avoid simultaneous challenges.
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 04:00:12 PM »
I haven't tried it yet, but in a cloisterville scenario, if some monasteries are unoccupied, you could use a wagon to jump between them as you complete them all. Easier said than done.

Offline Allograft

• Marquis
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 05:21:38 PM »
Tehhehehehe. Yeah, I like the wagon. Last night, I had a chance to get a flier (Mayor) into my 8-year-old's 12 tile city before it was completed, and I would have tied for control. This possibility led to upset and crying, so I didn't follow through with it, but yes, it drives my family nuts when I pull special moves that are allowed by rules :-) -  :pink-meeple:

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
  • Merit: 48
    • View Profile
    • Divider cards for C1 & C2 / C3 both in French & English:
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 08:50:56 PM »
This is what some people call cloisterville... when you get several monasteries together completing each other at times.

The only restriction for monasteries involves shrines (Exp. 6). A shrine cannot be adjacent to more than one monastery / abbey / special monastery / ... and vice versa in order to avoid simultaneous challenges.

Is it the features themselves that cannot be adjacent to more than one (a shrine cannot be adjacent to more than one monastery, and vice versa); or a heretic that cannot be adjacent to more than one monk (a shrine can be adjacent to more than one monastery, as long as there isn't more than one that's occupied)?

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 07:19:48 AM »
Tehhehehehe. Yeah, I like the wagon. Last night, I had a chance to get a flier (Mayor) into my 8-year-old's 12 tile city before it was completed, and I would have tied for control. This possibility led to upset and crying, so I didn't follow through with it, but yes, it drives my family nuts when I pull special moves that are allowed by rules :-) -  :pink-meeple:

This is what happens when you catch some players by surprise, especially the youngest ones!  :o

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2021, 07:24:30 AM »

Is it the features themselves that cannot be adjacent to more than one (a shrine cannot be adjacent to more than one monastery, and vice versa); or a heretic that cannot be adjacent to more than one monk (a shrine can be adjacent to more than one monastery, as long as there isn't more than one that's occupied)?

The rules refer to features (monasteries, shrines), not the role of the potential occupiers... Bear in mind that an incomplete unoccupied monastery or shrine may be occupied with a magic portal or a flying machine. So chaos could unfold any time if monasteries and shrines could form a cluster without any restrictions.

All this is to ensure that monks and heretics cannot participate in more than one challenge at a time no matter what.

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
  • Merit: 48
    • View Profile
    • Divider cards for C1 & C2 / C3 both in French & English:
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2021, 08:31:38 AM »
Seems logical by reading the rule. I don't know why I thought it was the meeple placement that was forbidden...

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Cloisters and Shrines

Started by wolnic

2 Replies
Last post July 09, 2016, 07:52:29 PM
by Whaleyland
xx
Including all three sets of cloisters?

Started by ny1050220

4 Replies
Last post November 22, 2018, 08:01:36 AM
by Halfling
xx
Cloisters in Germany V2

Started by totor66

0 Replies
Last post August 23, 2018, 03:18:06 AM
by totor66
clip
Six adjacent cloisters all claimed by one player

Started by jungleboy

1 Replies
Last post April 12, 2013, 12:34:01 PM
by Carcking
xx
The Barbarian Report: Attack of the Monasteries (Monasteries in Germany Review)

Started by Whaleyland

25 Replies
Last post September 04, 2017, 10:40:49 AM
by Willem