Off Topic > Other Games

Carcassonne and Catan

<< < (2/4) > >>

DIN0:
Catan and Carcassonne are indeed comparable in terms of overall complexity and perhaps the number of expansions/spin-offs/promos.
There are several major differences between the two:

1) Carcassonne expansions are entirely cross-compatible, you can play pretty much everything at once. Catan on the other hand is much more modular and more often than not operates on the basis of "scenarios", most of which cannot be combined, but if played in a succession, create a loose story.

2) Catan is much more strategic game (long term planning), while Carcassonne is way more tactical (short term planning). You need to be worrying about the future of the game and need to know what you're doing from the very start in Catan, otherwise, you might put yourself in a basically unwinnable position. In Carcassonne, you can plow throught the game just by calculating the best possible move in any given moment and not look more than one or two turns into the future and still be fine. On the other hand, a single turn is more valuable in Carcassonne and small mistakes are much more unforgiving. In Catan, you can have a random sub-par turn (or even multiple ones in a row) and it wouldn't affect you much.

When it comes to luck, purely base Catan is much more luck driven than Carcassonne, however make no mistake - that is a luck governed by statistics, which is and always was the part of the strategy. You need to take advantage of the statistics to sway the luck your way in a snowball like fashion.
In Carcassonne, you have much more immediate control over what you're doing at any given point.

Both games are great. But when it comes to purely base game, I consider Carcassonne to be better. If anyone is interested in Catan but feels it might be too simplistic, or luck driven, I recommend the Cities and Knights expansion. That basically serves as advanced rules for the game and adds several layers of depth.

Allograft:
Thanks for the input all -  :pink-meeple:

oldbonz:
Hello everyone
after having damaged a card from the Catan game this summer, i decided to "sliver" them. After that the cards no longer fit in the distribution shoe, so I made a wooden one, if that helps

Meepledrone:
It looks great!

Did you use strips of leather too?

oldbonz:

--- Quote from: Meepledrone on August 28, 2021, 05:32:53 AM ---It looks great!

Did you use strips of leather too?

--- End quote ---
yes at the bottom of the hoof to cushion

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version