Author Topic: Carcassonne League Round 2: Carcking vs jungleboy  (Read 7263 times)

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
Carcassonne League Round 2: Carcking vs jungleboy
« on: May 28, 2014, 05:41:27 PM »
What a great match this was. It was good nerve wracking game play in both games.

Game 1:
Somehow I got out to a quick start by scoring a 4 point city and an 8 point city. Jungleboy got some followers committed early and they remained trapped for a large part of the game. He did control the main farm and scored or controlled a couple of the larger cities. I was fortunate to score some of the smaller cities and claim a couple of the smaller farms.

I think the story of this game though was Cloisters. At one point I was lucky enough to draw 4 in a row. Actually ran out of followers to put on all of them. I claimed 3 of them and completed 2 of them. The 3rd I scored for 8 points at game end.  Three of the six cloisters went unclaimed due to lack of followers.
The score drew close near the end when jungleboy completed a 14 point city. He did a nice job blocking my efforts to join the large farm and I started wondering if my lead was enough. In the end it proved out.

Good game jungleboy!

He got it back together in Game 2 to even up the match in a much much closer game!

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=808.0
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Re: Carcassonne League Round 2: Carcking vs jungleboy
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 12:20:11 AM »
After being outplayed in the first game, in the second game I was determined to not run out of meeples and to win the game to draw the match 1-1. I wasn't able to do the first of these but just managed to do the second, winning by three points, 99-96.

The early part of the second game centred around a battle for a road that I had built from the start tile. Carcking tried to glom on to this road, but I blocked this move with another tile (and meeple) placement that required a t-road rather than a curve as the joining tile. Carcking later made this requirement a RRRR tile and these roads were ultimately never completed, depriving me of two meeples and Carcking of one throughout the rest of the game.

Meanwhile, I placed an early farmer and as the game continued, with several small cities completed in this field, it became clear that this would be the dominant farm (and perhaps feature of the game). I got a second farmer in the vicinity before Carcking put his first in the vicinity to set up what would become an epic battle.

Early on I had the best of the scoring and opened up a 32-16 lead. But in the second half of the game I ran out of meeples and Carcking slowly began closing the gap and eventually took the lead.

The main farm continued to grow and while I couldn't add any meeples to the two that I had, Carcking began placing a small army near the farm. At one stage he had three different meeples that were a single tile away from joining and a fourth that was two tiles away. It became clear that the winner of the farm would win the game.

Without any meeples, I tried to block him from joining the farm with tile placement, which worked on a couple of occasions. But finally he was able to add a second meeple to tie up the farm with only a few moves to go. All he needed to win the farm and the game was a t-road or a standard corner road but luck wasn't on his side. I finally got a meeple back by finishing a cloister and I placed this meeple on a 6-tile incomplete road on my second last turn, which proved to be the difference in the end. Carcking couldn't pull the tile he needed to win the farm on his last turn and I scraped home by 3 points in a very nerve-wracking match!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 02:35:24 AM »
Great write-up guys! The second game was definitely more fun to watch and I really didn't know which way it was going to go. Jungleboy seemed to be running away with it from early on but struggled to hang on to this lead after running out of meeples quite quickly and the balance seemed to be shifting in Carcking's favour. The battle for the farm grew increasingly intense towards the end of the game as CK placed almost every one of his followers as farmers in an attempt to win it, with JB attempting to block him at every opportunity. Outstanding play by both players!

I must admit that there were several occasions (particularly in the first game) when I actually said "ouch!" out loud and my wife asked me what was wrong. I had to pretend that I had cramp in my foot as I didn't want to admit that I was so heavily involved in a game of Carcassonne that I wasn't even playing!

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 03:11:31 AM »
To take nothing away from jungleboy's game play but you know which play I wish I had back? That tile in the second game that I accidently hit the wrong button on. It stuck where I didn't want it and became a wasted city tile. I knew that would bite me in the end! arrgghh!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 05:40:29 AM »
I did wonder why you'd chosen to place that tile where you did. Ultimately though, it will have made JB's adjacent cloister a lot harder to complete so it probably helped you in some way by slowing him down a little. Who knows how it might have changed things if you'd placed it elsewhere?

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 06:19:02 AM »
I must admit that there were several occasions (particularly in the first game) when I actually said "ouch!" out loud and my wife asked me what was wrong. I had to pretend that I had cramp in my foot as I didn't want to admit that I was so heavily involved in a game of Carcassonne that I wasn't even playing!

Classic! Be prepared for a lot more 'ouches' when we meet in Round 3 :)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 08:17:26 AM »
@jungleboy - you:

;)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 03:58:30 PM by danisthirty »

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 08:36:50 AM »
Ouch!!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Carcassonne League Round 1: Carcking v danisthirty

Started by danisthirty

2 Replies
Last post May 12, 2014, 03:24:32 PM
by danisthirty
clip
Round 6: MrNumbers vs. Carcking

Started by MrNumbers

0 Replies
Last post July 03, 2014, 05:06:34 AM