Author Topic: Travel with Carcassonne  (Read 4697 times)

Offline Weetek23

• Vassal
  • Merit: 0
  • Always ready of one more ... tile!
    • View Profile
Travel with Carcassonne
« on: April 13, 2021, 01:47:42 PM »
I apologize if this topic was already discussed before but as I could not find much info on this, I would like to share my thoughts and questions about how to enjoy our game while "on the road".

For one year now we have Travel Carcassonne, a Dutch "Reiseditie" by 999games with a scoreboard on the back of the flat paper box; a sale item bought for mere 4.99 Euro in a Dutch discount toy shop just by chance. A full set of 72 tiles of a CI design, just smaller. We had unexpectedly lot of fun with this randomly acquired game during our "no-frills" family travels. It seems impossible to play the game while travelling (train, car -  no chance) but once in the destination, we love to put it on the table in the evening and eventually "preach Carcassonne" to people not yet familiar with the game.

But for less comfortable hikes that would quickly kill this paper-boxed edition, I look for a more sturdy version. I recently got a 2015 "Carcassonne Demo-spiel" but with mere 20 tiles, this item is rather another tick on my list than really useful itself. Plus the paper box is unfit for travelling. So I consider "Carcassonne for 2" that teases me by a neat metal box of a suitable size ... maybe even too big for the number of tiles? 48 landscape tiles: 44 same as in the base game, 2 tiles adapted from "Inns & Cathedrals" and 2 completely new. A lighter CII travel version, right? With no scoreboard. If I boost it with the 20 tiles from Demo-spiel, it gets close to a full base game.
A question: are the tiles from Demo-Spiel and Carcassonne for 2 identical or well compatible? I now checked the tiles and meeples of Demo-Spiel and CI Travel Carcassonne: the tiles are of same size, albeit the TC have more rounded corners. Meeples from Demo-Spiel are smaller and thinner.

Last spring, HiG released Carcassonne Print-and-Play Demo during its "Stay at home" campaign (the motto still quite fits, sadly) described as with "fewer (48 instead of 72) and smaller tiles. It is also played with fewer meeples (5 instead of 7) than the original Carcassonne." When I check the tile distribution in the downloaded pdf, it seems identical to the content of Carcassonne for 2, right? So the difference between C4two and this PnP is just the do-it-yourself part, I suppose. I am sure I would not do it myself convincingly well so I will probably turn to C4two anyway. I will appreciate any comments, tips and suggestions from experienced players regarding the travel options of our beloved game.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=5206.0

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
Re: Travel with Carcassonne
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 02:30:42 PM »
Hi!

The tiles from the Demo Spiel and from Carcassonne for 2 are the same size, as well as their respective meeples.
The only difference between the two is that the cities in Carcassonne for 2 have a darker colour (what is referred to as art 2.0), compared to the cities in the Carcassonne for 2 game (what we call art 2.1). As long as that doesn't bother you and you are happy with the tile distribution then you're good to go!

Alternatively, 999 games was actually the only distributor who released the Travel edition in the old art with the scoreboard printed on the box. This was the 2nd edition of the travel game by 999 games. The first edition, like those of other distributors, comes with a (cotton) bag which has the scoreboard printed on the back of it. That is a bit better for continued use and won't get damaged as easily as the paper box.
Join me on the journey through the history and oddities of Carcassonne, on My Instagram
1 0 days since i've bought more Carcassonne

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 02:36:43 PM »
Pre-pandemic I played  C42 at work quite a bit. I think it's a solid game and although there are no farmers the options are good. I think the duration is good to introduce players to Carcassonne too.

I dont think adding more tiles is necessary. My only concern with C42 is there is no score track. So I printed a small one and added an extra meeple to easily resolve that.

Offline totec55

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 05:43:04 PM »
Our household has grown away from farmers, so not having them isn't an issue here! I find the game play is still very much enjoyable. We usually only play with them when we are in a competitive mood.

Offline Allograft

• Marquis
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 08:04:22 PM »
I played  C42 at work quite a bit

You've got a great job -  :pink-meeple:

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 02:34:57 AM »
My only concern with C42 is there is no score track. So I printed a small one and added an extra meeple to easily resolve that.
I did the same! I think quite soon after I got C42 I added a little scoreboard to it. I like it better than having to rely on having pen and paper around, plus I don't like the idea of keeping score with pen and paper.

Alternatively, there are some nice travel boxes available that you can fill with normal Carcassonne tiles. Basically Wooden has a very nice one, with a scoreboard etched into it.
I've also got a different wooden travelbox with a 1-10 step scoreboard in the lid, plus wooden score tiles 10-20-30-40

You would need a bigger surface to play on though

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2021, 02:47:21 AM »
Ha, I've not seen that box, it's pretty cool!

This is the Basically Wooden box:

https://www.basicallywooden.co.uk/game-boxes/carcassonne-boxes/

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2021, 03:01:24 AM »
I am eyeballing the BW box tbh, i might just need to order it fairly soon...

The box I have has space for the base game and meeples, but I've put in the first 2 big expansions as well, as we like to play with those 2 always.
I was so happy that I had brought this with us when we went to Argentina on holiday march last year. As it was the start of the pandemic, we got stuck there for 7 weeks, and many games were played on our small table in the AirBnB.
Moral of the story; always bring at least 1 travel set of Carcassonne wherever you go!

Offline Ker42

• Count
  • Merit: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2021, 08:06:34 AM »
Or instead of a travel edition, stuff everything into a Big Box and sneak it into your luggage.  Who needs extra clothes?   :D
It's all fun and games...until the Mirror Zone comes out.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2021, 08:15:16 AM »
On a trip to Boston I once returned with these boxes in my empty suitcase.

They were full of Carcassonne paraphernalia destined for the UK and Europe.

;D ;D ;D

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2021, 09:00:32 AM »
I did try once to take one of my big boxes with me, but my partner told me off for it, so had to "only" bring the travel set I showed earlier.

Great photo Dear! Was that with the ice-meeple sets? I remember us talking about that ages ago. It does give a new meaning to Travel with Carcassonne

Online Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2021, 10:04:06 AM »
I carry around my Carcassonne as you can see below: back pack with two Plano boxes with all C2, including a second base game, and some C1 expansions not yet available in C2 (The School, Dutch monasteries, Window Roses, Cathars, Besiegers...). I also carry a few fan expansions: The Astronomers, Celestial Events, The Alchemist...

I also carry a plastic bag with meeple sets in additional colors, some dice in case scoring fields gets complicated, and the wooden supports oldbonz sent me as a present...

Luckily I leave at home the other Plano boxes with the rest of C1, WE and some odds and ends.
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Online Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2021, 10:11:06 AM »
BTW, if not possible and I have to go minimalistic, I carry a Demo Spiel with the Cardcassonne scoreboard plates from 0 to 50 and extra meeples for the scoreboard, of course...

Always great for a quick game anywhere...  ;)

Offline Gagoune

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 14
  • To place or not to place...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2021, 11:25:59 AM »
Here is my "demo" version for journey, with plastic meeples from CundCo last Christmas package. Still a pb with the scoreboard, though...  ;D

Edit: Sorry for the large size of the pictures... :/

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2021, 11:40:39 AM »
Great photo Dear! Was that with the ice-meeple sets?
That's right!

For a time, I was going backwards and forwards across America and Europe sharing goodies.  Not sure when I'll get that opportunity again

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Travel Carcassonne game on the train

Started by JT Atomico

0 Replies
Last post March 05, 2016, 04:01:54 AM
by JT Atomico
xx
Carcassonne Travel Set

Started by jungleboy

34 Replies
Last post February 22, 2016, 03:35:40 AM
by jungleboy
xx
For Sale: Carcassonne Travel Edition

Started by danisthirty

1 Replies
Last post February 28, 2024, 04:48:09 AM
by Leven
xx
Are the tiles in Carcassonne für 2 same size as normal travel version?

Started by Vesselvessel

3 Replies
Last post May 16, 2019, 07:59:21 AM
by DrMeeple
xx
WTB: Travel Carcassonne

Started by Allograft

11 Replies
Last post September 03, 2021, 01:38:45 PM
by Allograft