Author Topic: Tools for a Completionist?  (Read 6884 times)

Offline domergamer

• Labourer
  • Merit: 1
    • View Profile
Tools for a Completionist?
« on: October 11, 2017, 09:13:47 PM »
My completionist tendencies are coming out on Carcassonne.  I've got a ton of promos sitting around, and I'm thinking about trying to assemble a complete set of tiles using the new artwork. 

Pardon the new guy question, but what are the best resources for seeing what all is out there?  I use BGG, but I can't quite tell what is in the new art versus the old art.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3578.0

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
Re: Tools for a Completionist?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 09:27:57 PM »
Hi!

Check the profile here on carcassonne central. It has been updated recently and has (i believe) everything listed.
Of course if you are an uber completionist there will always be stuff missing, but i think its a great overview page!
For the new artwork i think there is:
Base game
River (comes with the base game)
Abbot
1. Inns&Cathedrals
2. Traders&Builders
3. Princess& the Dragon
4. The Tower
5. Abbey&Mayor
6. Count, King&robber
10. Under the Big Top
And mini's:
Festival (15 year edition)
Mini 1. The flying machines
Mini 2. The messengers
Mini 3. The Ferries
Mini 4. The Goldmines
Mini 5. Mage&Witch
Mini 6. The Robbers
Mini 7. Crop Circles
The Watchtowers
Japanse Temples
Spiel 14/15/16 tiles
Market of Leipzig
Labyrinth (Spiel Doch Magazine)

(feel free to add, this is just from the top of my head  ;))
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 05:49:43 AM by danisthirty, Reason: added to the list »
Join me on the journey through the history and oddities of Carcassonne, on My Instagram
1 0 days since i've bought more Carcassonne

Offline domergamer

• Labourer
  • Merit: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 10:15:13 PM »
I hadn't noticed that before.  Thanks!

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
  • Merit: 47
  • I'm still in beta.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 05:44:18 AM »
There's also Big Box 6, which you've listed the components for. And if I'm not mistaken, expansion 8 (Bridges, Castles, and Bazaars/Brücken, Burgen und Basare) is coming out this year in the new art?
My stuff: The Caverns of Carcassonne | Wheel of Fortune versions | True North (wind roses) | Icon facelifts | Converting CII to CI | Signposts & the Château | The Vault | Riverboats & the Whirlpool | trade list

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 06:00:49 AM »
There's also Big Box 6, which you've listed the components for. And if I'm not mistaken, expansion 8 (Bridges, Castles, and Bazaars/Brücken, Burgen und Basare) is coming out this year in the new art?

I probably wouldn't count Big Box 6 as an item in its own right unless it includes anything that can't be gotten elsewhere (such as there were with BB5 with the WoF tiles and River 1b/3). Not for purposes of completionism anyway. If you've got a tile, you've got a tile. It doesn't matter if it came from a BB or elsewhere, the fact is you have the tile.

I've added Labyrinth to the original list.

Also: welcome to the forums domergamer! :) :(y)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 06:02:58 AM by danisthirty »

Offline Squiffything

• Duke
  • Merit: 21
  • Do I smell onions?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 06:34:35 AM »

I probably wouldn't count Big Box 6 as an item in its own right unless it includes anything that can't be gotten elsewhere (such as there were with BB5 with the WoF tiles and River 1b/3). Not for purposes of completionism anyway. If you've got a tile, you've got a tile. It doesn't matter if it came from a BB or elsewhere, the fact is you have the tile.

I've added Labyrinth to the original list.

Also: welcome to the forums domergamer! :) :(y)

You cant get the box anywhere else :)

Oooo, look at all the meeples

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 07:01:56 AM »
True, at the moment you can't get the mini's anywhere else except for BB6. Maybe they'll come out separate later, but who knows? :)
Expansion 8 and 9 are planned to come out in the new art this year, but atm they are not available anywhere.

And Dan, thanks, I forgot the Labyrinth :D

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
  • I'm still in beta.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 08:14:04 AM »
Not for purposes of completionism anyway. If you've got a tile, you've got a tile.

My understanding of completionism sees this differently, at least in principle. I have pairs/triplets of corresponding tiles from various products that I'm pretty sure a true completionist would consider different tiles. Watermarks, grass color, art revisions ... all these things make tiles uniquely collectible (for some people). Here are five tiles I actually own, which are only two tiles from a gameplay perspective but five from an is-anything-different perspective.

Heck, I just finally broke down yesterday and ordered the Spielbox 2008 Almanach even though I already have Shrines in two other forms. (Not really even sure why I did that. I guess my white cells weren't sufficient to fight off the "get it before it goes secondary market" virus.)

Now, whether any of those distinctions exist (yet) in the new art, I can't say. I'm just talking general principles. But I would assume, with the change in the brown used for cities that KJW requested, that early expansions in the Big Box would have an artwork distinction vs. their standalone counterparts.

(Image uploaded by Clownfeet in this thread.)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 07:59:40 AM by Just a Bill »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 09:25:14 AM »
Heck, I just finally broke down yesterday and ordered the Spielbox 2008 Almanach even though I already have Shrines in two other forms.

In that case I hope you've managed to get copies of the Cathars expansion from both the original Spielbox magazine AND the Carcassonne almanac, Crop Circles 1 from both the game box that came with it included AND the set that was released through Cundco, and "Die Belagerer" from both the limited edition tin box that was available only through Mueller stores in Germany (and ebay.de) and the Cundco release.

These are just some of the duplicate releases that I've tracked, but I know there are plenty of others that I haven't...

Good luck! :(y)

Online Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 09:41:46 AM »
Heck, I just finally broke down yesterday and ordered the Spielbox 2008 Almanach even though I already have Shrines in two other forms. (Not really even sure why I did that. I guess my white cells weren't sufficient to fight off the "get it before it goes secondary market" virus.)
The Spielbox version of Cults includes pentagon watermarks, so I count it as a different version, even if the tiles are identical to the Hans im Glück version.

Generally, I consider watermarks (or lack thereof) to be the signs of whether an expansion merits collecting or not.

Offline viztnd

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 12:56:18 PM »
True, at the moment you can't get the mini's anywhere else except for BB6. Maybe they'll come out separate later, but who knows? :)
Expansion 8 and 9 are planned to come out in the new art this year, but atm they are not available anywhere.

And Dan, thanks, I forgot the Labyrinth :D
If you can accept a finnish box and rules several Finnish webshops have the 6 minis.  Some ship outside of EU.

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 01:03:13 PM »
Do they sell the mini's in the new art? Have you got an example?  :o

Offline viztnd

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 01:11:07 PM »
I'm not sure if it is of the old or new art.
I just noticed they ("puolenkuunpelit.com") had all 6 minis in stock, so I ordered a copy of all.
There is several other finnish stores that have the minis as well, but they didn't ship to Norway where I am.

:)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 01:32:48 PM »
I'm not sure if it is of the old or new art.
I just noticed they ("puolenkuunpelit.com") had all 6 minis in stock, so I ordered a copy of all.
There is several other finnish stores that have the minis as well, but they didn't ship to Norway where I am.

I would say this must be in the old art as the new art mini expansions are not available outside of the Big Box yet. Not as far as I'm aware anyway.

Welcome to the forums viztnd :) :(y)

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
  • I'm still in beta.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 02:03:09 PM »
In that case I hope you've managed to get copies of the Cathars expansion from both the original Spielbox magazine AND the Carcassonne almanac, Crop Circles 1 from both the game box that came with it included AND the set that was released through Cundco, and "Die Belagerer" from both the limited edition tin box that was available only through Mueller stores in Germany (and ebay.de) and the Cundco release.

No, nope, no, not, yes, and nope. Or maybe nope and yes, not really sure. I have no Cathars and don't want 'em; I have Siege and (finally) Besiegers and they both are superior visually to those goofy cartoon bubbles (it's like the game map is an android UI and Cathars keep texting me everywhere I go). Would love Crop Circles I but can't afford them in either form. Very happy to have finally secured Besiegers via trade (no kidneys were surrendered), but I don't even know which version it is (not that I'd care, I don't think).

The reason I ordered the Spielbox Cult set was not because I care about having every possible flavor of every tile. Now I am mentally defective and predisposed to that sort of obsession, in general, but the unavailability/expense of goofy stuff like La Porxada keeps me from heading down that path. The Almanach was still available at something like a normal-magazine price (which is probably why we see Shrines littering eBay all the live-long day), so it wasn't really a difficult sell.

And to be honest, I started having psychotic delusions of a variant where shrines with three different tile presentations (pentagon, crown, no watermark) represented three rival cults, with some kind of "longest-road" bonus for most shrines completed, or heretic-vs.-heretic contests when the watermarks differ, or something equally daft. Or maybe some automated heretics using the extra acrylic meeples I just ordered. Crazy, I know, but it's okay — I will just blame it on slipping and hitting my head on the toilet while hanging a clock. (Let's all assume I'm just joking about that part.)

Generally, I consider watermarks (or lack thereof) to be the signs of whether an expansion merits collecting or not.

I think that's a reasonable guideline. I don't chase all possible versions, but I have been interested in getting watermarked editions of all my early 2000s tiles. Mainly so I can more easily separate things after a game, but also so I have the option of choosing whether to maximize convenience or beauty.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 02:05:02 PM by Just a Bill »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Completionist Poll #13 - Die Hard Edition

Started by Decar

20 Replies
Last post October 23, 2017, 06:36:57 AM
by Lord_Wishmaster