Author Topic: 2015 World Cup - Group H  (Read 18908 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
2015 World Cup - Group H
« on: September 01, 2015, 03:59:56 AM »
Welcome to the group stage of the 2015 World Cup of Carcassonne Central! This thread is primarily for members of Group H to arrange matches between themselves and post scores, screenshots and the obligatory smack-talk as the group progresses. The top 2 players from this group once everyone in the group has played all 4 of their matches will advance through to the knockout stage.

Here is a list of the group members (including location):

If you haven’t read them already, please ensure that you are familiar with the tournament rules/ general information (you should also receive this via email). You may also find the JCloisterZone FAQ interesting/ useful if you have any unanswered questions about how JCloisterZone works (or you can just email me).

Good luck, and have fun!

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2043.0
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 04:58:25 AM by danisthirty »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 World Cup - Group H
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 01:50:52 PM »
Due to an apparent "bug" with the way River 1 is implemented within JCloisterZone, please avoid using this expansion in your game. At this stage of the competition we will now be using Inns & Cathedrals and King & Robber Baron only.

Offline CarcinFool

• Vassal
  • Merit: 2
  • I enjoy a good game o' Carc!
    • View Profile
2015 World Cup - Group H
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 12:37:13 PM »
No matches played yet for group H? We surely aren't going to win the first-group-to-finish prize. Lol

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 12:39:15 PM »
I'm still on for 9:30pm (my time) if you are Owen? :)

Offline CarcinFool

• Vassal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 12:42:40 PM »
 Oh yes!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 01:05:23 PM »
We can start whenever you are ready. I am in the chat room if you're available?

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 03:02:40 PM »
CarcinFool  :red-meeple: - 170 : 129 - :blue-meeple:  danisthirty

It felt like CarcinFool and I were fairly evenly matched for the majority of our match. I probably got the better draw in the early part of the game and completed a number of small cities and short roads, eventually generating a lead of between 20 - 30 points. CF didn't have a lot of luck with the city tiles but did complete a 9-tile road (with Inn) which closed the gap a little and won him the Robber Baron tile which I couldn't take back from him.

As the game drew on, CarcinFool and I battled over a large city which he eventually won overall control of and got it to the point that it was just one tile away from completion for the majority of the final third of the game. It was large enough to make a big difference, so in the end it all came down to whether he would draw one of the remaining ccff tiles required to complete it. And as it happened, he did! :'(

So, the incomplete city (worth 17 points) became a complete city (worth 38 points: +21 for CF) and as well as this he took the King tile from me which represented another 32 point swing (-16 for me, +16 for CF). So, in this way it could be said that that single tile was worth 21 + 32 = 53 points and that I might have won if it wasn't for this as my actual losing margin was 41 points. But I'm not bitter about it, honest! >:D

What was interesting about the game was that I won the main farm outright with 2 normal followers and my large follower. Perhaps I over-invested in this as it was only worth 21 points. CarcinFool however did an excellent job of picking off lots of smaller farms and actually ended up with more farmer points than me in the final scoring.

I'm disappointed to have lost by such a wide margin as the game felt much closer than this, but I can't fault CarcinFool on anything - he is an awesome player (as I already knew from having played him on the iOS app)! Well played, and good luck with the rest of your games Owen! :) :(y)

:blue-meeple:
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 04:58:45 AM by danisthirty »

Offline CarcinFool

• Vassal
    • View Profile
2015 World Cup - Group H
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 03:28:23 PM »
Excellent game and excellent summary Dan!

It was indeed close the whole way. You were leading early and mid-game, and I was just trying to scratch and claw to hang in there and keep things close. You really were sticking it to me early with some nice 4-tile cities, including that butterfly-shaped one to the south that you stole from me with your BIG meeple.  >:D  Then once you grabbed the advantage on that large field to the west I felt like I was really out on the ledge. You had several more meeples than I did at that point and you really put the screws to me by swiping that field pretty quickly. After that i conceded the field and started putting resources elsewhere.

I was surprised you didn't try to kill the large city before I closed it off leaving just an empty FFCC space. It was an open CxFF space for a while that you could have hit with a road that I think would have made that a dead space. When I closed it off I think there were about 25 tiles to go and I thought there were three FFCC tiles left. There ended up being only two -- you ended up drawing one about 8-10 tiles later, and I (finally) drew the other with fewer than 10 tiles left (whew!). So I'd like to think it wasn't quite the 1-tile desperation move you made it out to be in your summary -- haha (but I certainly was lucky to have gotten one of the two remaining tiles).  ;)

I also thought you might complete my long road to the west to take back the Robber. You would have only given me one additional point for the road but would have gained what ended up being 18 for the Robber bonus.

Very enjoyable game for my first WC match and online game using JCZ. Dan's always an excellent opponent. Looking forward to more games soon!

Owen
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 09:24:37 PM by CarcinFool »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 10:43:37 PM »
I was surprised you didn't try to kill the large city before I closed it off leaving just an empty FFCC space.

I did try, but didn't draw a single rrxx tile that I could use to point a road into the gap. Not until you'd drawn the crrr tile that you used to close it down anyway!

I also thought you might complete my long road to the west to take back the Robber. You would have only given me one additional point for the road but would have gained what ended up being 18 for the Robber bonus.

If you didn't have the Inn on it then I might have done. But as it was, I was kind of hoping that you wouldn't close it and didn't want to give you the points or the meeple back if I could avoid it. I tried to make this difficult for you by trapping one end of the road but again, you drew the fffr (cloister) tile which you put in the gap before I'd managed to point a city into it...

Hopefully Becky (Mrs_danisthirty) will be able to avenge my defeat and restore some honour to our household! >:D

Offline CarcinFool

• Vassal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 04:23:42 AM »
I figured you were contemplating both of those.  >:D  I did think you had one chance to kill the city, but I may be mistaken.

Has anyone heard from Monica on scheduling games?

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2015, 04:53:31 AM »
I figured you were contemplating both of those.  >:D  I did think you had one chance to kill the city, but I may be mistaken.

I can't be 100% either; it's easy to look back on it now and assume that that would have been my top priority. Maybe I was distracted? One thing's for sure though, if I did have the chance to block the city and I missed it then I deserved everything I got! :-[

Has anyone heard from Monica on scheduling games?

Not yet. But I do know she's in the same/ similar timezone to you so hopefully arranging your game with her shouldn't be too difficult for either of you.

Offline CarcinFool

• Vassal
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 04:56:34 AM »
Actually, something that has always surprised me about the online/computer versions of Carcassonne is that none that I know of allow you to replay a match, tile by tile. What a great learning tool that would be!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2015, 05:08:46 AM »
Well, farin's the man to ask about that as JCloisterZone is all his work! I think Decar has looked into implementing something too, but I'm not sure whether anything's actually in the pipeline or not.

Another option is to use a screen recording program to record the games. I've done this with a few games in the past, as has Leven. In fact, this is a recording of a game in which MrNumbers mercilessly battered me during the first online league we played (last year):

:o

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2015, 09:03:58 AM »
I'm waiting for some of JCZ's internals to be restructured so I can jump in and add some simple changes without affecting anything else.

Somewhere I've got a post of the animated-gif I produced of a game automatically in JCZ.

I've also got an implementation for prepared-games, so the tiles come out in a prepared order.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2015, 10:07:45 AM »
CarcinFool is in the chatroom.
He likes to play with Mrs_danisthirty.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
2015 World Cup - Group C

Started by danisthirty

49 Replies
Last post October 14, 2015, 06:45:04 PM
by Carcking
xx
2015 World Cup - Group F

Started by danisthirty

44 Replies
Last post October 04, 2015, 10:42:30 AM