Author Topic: Shared points for a city  (Read 1724 times)

Offline Gwendoline

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Shared points for a city
« on: May 29, 2023, 06:13:36 AM »
Hi, everyone!
Me and my partner are playing Carcassonne since a few months and we really like it. However, we still stick to the basic version, because we are absolute beginners.
We had a dispute over the rule for sharing the points for a common city. I was building a big city and I had one meeple put on it The city was open from one sides (2 tiles in total to finish it) and he posed a closing tile on the upper place, insisting we should share the points. I objected, because in this case the remaining tile couldn't have 2 individual finishings. It was obvious that I will have no other choice that to use his tile and attach it to my city, because a tile that will allow me to finish both his city and mine independently simply doesn't exist (it should have 3 caps and one open side). I insisted that in this case when there is no other option for the other player you just can't use the same recourse, means you can still put your meeple on your tile but on the road for example. You can't occupy other players cities leaving them no choice but to use your tiles. It should be a matter of choice and a fair play. I can rebuild the schema and provide picture if necessary.
Hope some of the more experienced players will give a professional opinion here. I simply refuse to believe that such a popular game has missed to specify a conflict rule like this. There must be something we are missing.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=6381.0

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Shared points for a city
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2023, 03:57:14 PM »
Hi @Gwendoline !!!

Welcome to the forum!!!

I'm trying to visualize the situation you are describing, but if you could attach an image, it would be great to avoid any misintepretation.

Thank you in advance...

In any case, I guess the tile you would have needed in order to prevent the other player from joining you city would be something like this, which is available in Expansion 1 - Inns & Cathedrals:

Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline NGC 54

• Marquis
  • Merit: 10
  • HiG must provide clarifications for all expansions
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia user page
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2023, 04:12:52 PM »
Note: The all CCCF tiles can be viewed here: https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Tile_Reference.
I translate WikiCarpedia in Romanian (https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Main_Page/ro). I have 47,200+ edits at WICA. My WICA user page: https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/User:NGC_54. Romanian translation of WICA: https://wikicarpedia.com/car/Special:LanguageStats?language=ro&x=D#sortable:3=desc.

Offline kothmann

• Viscount
  • Merit: 92
  • Oh! That’s interesting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2023, 11:37:34 PM »
Hi @Gwendoline welcome to the Forum!

I think the situation you are describing is when one player builds a big city and another player joins it at the very end, sharing the points.  This can be frustrating and feel unfair for the first player, but it is a very important part of the game!  One way to guard your city is use the same idea to add a second meeple of your color before your opponent tries to, making it harder for your opponent to steal.

Another frustrating (some people say mean) but important tactic is to place a tile that makes it impossible to complete a big city.  As you probably noticed, there are 7 tile edge combinations missing from the base game: CRFF, CFRF, CFFR, CCRF, CCFR, CRCF, and CRCR.  If you make a “hole” that requires one of these tiles, the cities bordering that hole will never finish and the meeple is trapped. >:D

For me, the most important part of the expansions (particularly #1 and #2) is that they include many new tile types.  In fact, my first post on the forum discussed the situation you describe, where a CCCF tile is required to complete several cities with different players’ meeples in them.
https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=4962.msg76193#msg76193

I hope you will continue to enjoy the game even when it sometimes feels mean. 

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2023, 12:49:46 AM »
I think the rule to remember is, if you can place a tile, you have to, regardless of the outcome.  If you could play your tile anywhere else, you could play it there, even if that means leaving big cities incomplete.

Experienced players sometimes setup the board so that there is only one beneficial place for the other player to waste a turn.  They're pretty tricky to pull off though!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2023, 08:45:03 AM »
Hi @Gwendoline and welcome to the forums!

I'm not sure I completely understand the question either I'm afraid, but will echo what others have pointed out that the only rule regarding tile placement is that the landscape features must match against any tile that the placed tile is adjacent to. Field against field, road against road, city against city. Just because a tile exists that would join your partner's meeple into your city doesn't mean that you should have to place it there! Instead, you could use it to make a hole there. Some people don't like these, but you might discover more and more of them creeping into your games as you start to play more competitively!

Enjoy! :) :(y)

Offline Maiday

• Freeman
  • Merit: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2023, 02:55:09 AM »
While I'm not commenting on rules I just wanted to add that carcassonne really isn't a "fair" game and can be quite mean when you get really in to it.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2023, 01:11:47 AM »
While I'm not commenting on rules I just wanted to add that carcassonne really isn't a "fair" game and can be quite mean when you get really in to it.

That's how I like it! >:D :(y)

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2023, 12:07:31 PM »
Well, I don't think the game is unfair. Everyone gets the same access to the tiles, it might just be some of the players optimise their plays more than others  ;D  >:D

Offline Maiday

• Freeman
  • Merit: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2023, 02:37:31 AM »
Well, I don't think the game is unfair. Everyone gets the same access to the tiles, it might just be some of the players optimise their plays more than others  ;D  >:D

Okay I meant unfair plays might be made by some players.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2023, 02:42:33 AM »
I think the sort of play you're referring to is entirely fair though.  I think it's unjust, unequal, and unfair to demand that another player has to be nice to you at the expense of their own detriment!

Offline ny1050220

• Marquis
  • Merit: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2023, 07:10:45 PM »
I think the sort of play you're referring to is entirely fair though.  I think it's unjust, unequal, and unfair to demand that another player has to be nice to you at the expense of their own detriment!

Well said! Thank you so so much, Decar.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
150 Points?

Started by danisthirty

8 Replies
Last post May 04, 2014, 03:30:11 PM
by danisthirty
xx
Question about messages and negative points

Started by corinthiens13

80 Replies
Last post October 04, 2021, 07:55:55 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
Why cities score 2 points/tile instead of 1 point/tile?

Started by lucian

1 Replies
Last post May 11, 2018, 02:45:09 AM
by Decar
xx
The Robber insta-rogue points

Started by PapaGeek

11 Replies
Last post July 31, 2022, 11:57:00 AM
by Meepledrone
question
King And Robber points inverted?