Author Topic: Zamek and OCD  (Read 1003 times)

Offline chris6507

• Vassal
  • Merit: 1
    • View Profile
Zamek and OCD
« on: May 07, 2022, 10:47:19 PM »
Hey all,

Strongly considering placing an order for the new Zamek game and expansion from Poland. But been looking at some reviews and gameplay videos and kinda concerned as to whether i'll like the game due to my ocd and liking everything to match. Does anyone else with this kind of OCD own Zamek or the Castle and have some input on this? My concern (which may be obvious) is the fact that other than roads it appears anything can attach to anything rather than having a consistent flow of objects that match.
Fell like i'm constantly going to be wanting to have things match perfectly. Can doing this work in the game or do you have to get used to tiles not matching. Is it easy to get used to tiles not matching up?
Any input would be greatly appreciated, but especially from anyone who may feel the same as me but has had an opportunity to play the game anyway. Thanks.

Bonus Question: I've heard a lot of reviewers say its better than base Carcassonne. Do you agree or no? And if so what makes it better, because nothing has been jumping out at me.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=5942.0

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
Re: Zamek and OCD
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2022, 12:06:13 AM »
I love the Castle, but it only works with 2 people so it fills a slightly different niche than base Carcassonne. I could only bring one with me to New Zealand, so the Castle remained in the US. But I am finally going to get ZAMEK hopefully, so that'll finally be fixed.

I am also OCD and I actually like the Castle because the wall around the tiles really works for me. The only thing that bugs me (although it has to be a case for gameplay reasons) are the holes in the landscape at the end of the game. The tiles themselves actually work with the roofs of all the buildings just mashing together. It's relatively accurate for a walled city that different roofs would do that, and the roads still have to be continuous, so there's some order still. It does take a brain shift, though, to suddenly not have to worry as much about mismatched tiles.

Offline chris6507

• Vassal
  • Merit: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2022, 01:45:04 AM »
Thanks for that. Very helpful. Have you decided where you are ordering your copy from yet? Ill probably try the one suggested yesterday, but still trying to ensure ill actually like it.

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2022, 03:45:52 AM »
Not at the moment—I have a potential alternative option. But if it doesn't pan out, then I'll probably try the option posted on the other thread.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2022, 03:16:07 AM »
For me, I think it's fine.  Carcassonne: The City does this too, and I found that harder to process the tiles and their connectivity.

In The Castle (and Zamek), because all of the elements are rectangular in shape and the tiles are split into 4  segments, this order takes precedence.
Also because the Castles and Roofs are delineated, there aren't any floating edges.

I'd recommend you try The Castle on https://www.yourturnmyturn.com/ and see how you get on.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
ZAMEK – DODATEK SOKÓŁ (The Castle: Falcon Expansion)

Started by Decar

78 Replies
Last post December 17, 2023, 08:56:03 AM
by Ainka-in-love
xx
Besiegers and Halflings II (and New Edition and Goldrush) now available at Cundco

Started by jungleboy

29 Replies
Last post October 25, 2014, 05:53:56 AM
by Darwin
question
A few WHAT IF questions regarding save and load and local and remote games

Started by Gerry

2 Replies
Last post December 20, 2014, 01:24:10 AM
by farin
xx
WTB: Old artwork Carcassonne Hills and Sheep and/or Count, King and Robber