Author Topic: Phantoms for new colours - The Usual Suspects  (Read 38396 times)

Offline Safari

• Count
  • Merit: 11
    • View Profile
Re: Phantoms for new colours - The Usual Suspects
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2015, 02:17:59 PM »
Thank you ooh_jim for the photos!

I really like the phantoms. Still, on the photo they seem to be a bit pale. Do they fit well with the original phantoms in terms of colour intensity?
Safari

(\__/)
 (O.o )
 (> < )
 This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Offline ooh_jim

• Duke
  • Merit: 18
  • No, *you* haven't updated your profile yet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2015, 04:11:21 PM »

I really like the phantoms. Still, on the photo they seem to be a bit pale. Do they fit well with the original phantoms in terms of colour intensity?

In terms of saturation, the orange phantom is spot on and the brown is pretty much perfect too. The pink could certainly be more intense. The black one could possibly be less blue, the grey less purple and the white less grey; however, I really like the look of the slight striations of the deep blue and purples in the black phantom, and the white phantom is dark enough to distinguish it from, say, something like this http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1026.0 which could be used as the phantom for the unpainted set.

All in all - the pieces look fantastic, and make a great addition to the game.

Offline JT Atomico

• Marquis
  • Merit: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2015, 06:05:52 AM »
Mine arrived today. Thanks MichMedia!

Offline Safari

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2015, 12:44:42 PM »

In terms of saturation, the orange phantom is spot on and the brown is pretty much perfect too. The pink could certainly be more intense. The black one could possibly be less blue, the grey less purple and the white less grey; however, I really like the look of the slight striations of the deep blue and purples in the black phantom, and the white phantom is dark enough to distinguish it from, say, something like this http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1026.0 which could be used as the phantom for the unpainted set.

Thanks for the explenation, ooh_jim! I'm sure this set of phantom meeples is a great addition for any Carcassonne collection.

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2015, 01:03:21 PM »
Got mine today, I'm one happy hobbit.
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline ooh_jim

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2015, 09:48:09 AM »

Thanks for the explenation, ooh_jim! I'm sure this set of phantom meeples is a great addition for any Carcassonne collection.

Update!

I came home today to find another phantom had arrived. Apparently, Michmedia wasn't a massive fan of how the original purple batch turned out, and was kind enough to recast and ship a replacement.

So now the official Grey is back in its original set (which kinda fits for me as I keep the min a lilac coloured draw bag)
The new purple is with the purple set - and is a great match in terms of colour intensity.
The old purple is with the white set
The old white is with the unpainted as its the only one that's totally uncoloured. I'm still hoping to one day get my hands on a proper clear meeple for this set.

Thanks again, Michmedia

Offline Safari

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2015, 06:41:25 PM »
Wow, great news! The new purple is absolutely fabulous! I hope that I'll receive one of the new purple phantoms as well.  :violet-meeple:

Offline N1ghtw1ng

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2015, 08:17:56 PM »
These look great, I would love to get a set!  MichMedia, will you be making any more before Christmas?

Offline MichMedia

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 3
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2015, 10:06:56 AM »
Wow, this thread blew up when I wasn't looking! Thank you to the folks who ordered; I'm glad you've received them and are satisfied. You're welcome to the few who received replacement purples; those turned out really pretty (I wish I would have kept one for myself)!

In response to questions for more, I dyed more in an attempt to replicate what I'd done previously… and got some wild results. :o >:( My process is fairly standardized by now, one of the few variables left I can think of is the stock (all still official); it's almost like they have a colored coating rather than being a solid color throughout. Maybe HiG changed their manufacturing process? I don't know (or maybe there's something I'm not accounting for, like temperature).

So, the pinks and grays (which I'd prefer to lighten more, if possible) turned out as before; these pinks are like those in the pics Decar originally posted–a dark pink. The other colors all got lighter rather than absorbing the dye much (the opposite of what I wanted!), which yielded a clear, light blue, light olive green, and a clear, buff color (somewhere between peach and straw).

I may still try to make more true oranges, purples, and browns, but I need to be able to get consistent results (I may try red as a starting point). In the meantime, I'm making lemonade from lemons; I know several of you asked about phantoms for the unfinished/unpainted set, and for a lighter phantom for white than my gray. I have some of those now, but quantities are pretty limited (reflected in price points–I've tried to balance supply with projected demand), so don't delay if you're interested in something.

Here's the link to my Etsy shop page with the new listings: https://www.etsy.com/shop/MichMedia For those ordering for Christmas: U.S. orders shouldn't be a problem; overseas might still make it, though I can't promise. In past experience domestic orders arrive within a few days to a week, and overseas (Europe) approximately 10-14 days. Holiday mail may slow things down a little, but I will try to ship any orders ASAP on my end.

Thanks for your ongoing interest, everyone–it keeps me going! ^-^

Offline Guy

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2015, 10:52:16 AM »
Placed my order because in making lemonade from lemons I think you have hit upon some excellent colours. Merit for you!
I play orange

Offline MichMedia

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2015, 06:30:04 AM »
Placed my order because in making lemonade from lemons I think you have hit upon some excellent colours. Merit for you!

Thank you! :)

Offline ooh_jim

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2015, 02:19:01 PM »

So, the pinks and grays (which I'd prefer to lighten more, if possible) turned out as before; these pinks are like those in the pics Decar originally posted–a dark pink. The other colors all got lighter rather than absorbing the dye much (the opposite of what I wanted!), which yielded a clear, light blue, light olive green, and a clear, buff color (somewhere between peach and straw).

They look like they'd match up pretty well with the Meeplesource pastel colours

Offline ooh_jim

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2015, 11:10:34 AM »
Another update! I bought a couple of the off coloured ones and rejigged the colour combination. They look great.

Offline craftEcowgirl

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2016, 02:58:57 PM »
Anyone still make and sell them in US?

Offline hunnymonster

• Duke
  • An ugly bag of mainly water
    • View Profile
    • The Shaving Room - a UK-based community for traditional grooming
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2016, 01:24:26 AM »
Also looking for the ghost meeples for the extra player colours...
Whatever it is, it's probably in the post from Germany...

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
WTB: Usual Suspects

Started by Chartreusito

2 Replies
Last post February 13, 2018, 12:57:19 AM
by Chartreusito
xx
Teachers vs. Phantoms (6 colours)

Started by danisthirty

17 Replies
Last post November 30, 2015, 03:41:38 AM
by Decar
xx
Meeplesource selling phantoms in EIGHTEEN different colours!

Started by ooh_jim

31 Replies
Last post October 17, 2017, 05:09:20 AM
by Willem
xx
Inns and stableowners Question "in addition to the other usual actions"

Started by Fritz_Spinne

3 Replies
Last post March 25, 2013, 02:49:01 PM
by Carcking
xx
WTB: New coloured Phantoms, Light Green Monasteries