Author Topic: Halflings and the Mist  (Read 221 times)

Offline Death Meeple

• Freeman
  • Merit: 2
  • More tiles, more style!
    • View Profile
Halflings and the Mist
« on: April 22, 2024, 01:18:09 AM »
Hello,

2 questions about the halflings:

-Picture 1: can the tile bottom left be placed? The only tile next to it is a half tile, and this position would place it next to the empty half space.
We considered that this is allowed, since the space next to it is considered occupied by a tile, but we weren't sure.

-Picture 2: pink places the half tile to complete her city. Does it limit the Mist?
We considered it didn't.

Best regards,

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=6636.0

Online NGC 54

• Marquis
  • Merit: 10
  • HiG must provide clarifications for all expansions
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia user page
Re: Halflings and the Mist
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2024, 09:51:00 AM »
IMO, both interpretations are correct.
I translate WikiCarpedia in Romanian (https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Main_Page/ro). I have 50,000+ edits at WICA. My WICA user page: https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/User:NGC_54. Romanian translation of WICA: https://wikicarpedia.com/car/Special:LanguageStats?language=ro&x=D#sortable:3=desc.

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2024, 12:45:17 PM »
I was reviewing your interesting questions and my answer to them differ from the one provided above (@NGC 54, please check my comments below).

-Picture 1: can the tile bottom left be placed? The only tile next to it is a half tile, and this position would place it next to the empty half space.
We considered that this is allowed, since the space next to it is considered occupied by a tile, but we weren't sure.

In this case, the placement should not be allowed.

Revisiting the Halflings rules, you may read:

The half-sized tiles are placed according to the rules of the Carcassonne base game, meaning that at least one side of your tile has to continue the landscape of one or more existing tiles.

When placing a tile next to a Halfling, the reciprocal rule should be applied: a tile may only be placed next to a short side of a Halfling tile, never next to a triangular space (if not next to any other tile edge). The later would be similar to a corner-to-corner invalid placement.

-Picture 2: pink places the half tile to complete her city. Does it limit the Mist?
We considered it didn't.

In this case, the triangular gap should not be considered as limiting the mist, since the placement of a second Halfling tile filling the triangular gap would limit the mist at the same edge for a second time. This would be awkward, so only and edge-to-edge placement may limit or extend the mist.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 01:51:09 PM by Meepledrone »
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Online NGC 54

• Marquis
  • Merit: 10
  • HiG must provide clarifications for all expansions
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia user page
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2024, 12:51:24 PM »
I have not noticed that there were 2 different pictures. Once I have enlarged picture 2, I no longer saw picture 1. ::)

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2024, 01:52:24 PM »
@NGC 54 I just included the images inline in my post so you can review my comments easily.

Offline Death Meeple

• Freeman
  • Merit: 2
  • More tiles, more style!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2024, 12:45:32 AM »
Sounds relevant this way.

The confusion comes from this (see picture): in this case, we'd consider the space as occupied by a tile.
Shall we consider it's a specific exception?

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2024, 04:12:43 AM »

We considered it didn't.

In this case, the triangular gap should not be considered as limiting the mist, since the placement of a second Halfling tile filling the triangular gap would limit the mist at the same edge for a second time. This would be awkward, so only and edge-to-edge placement may limit or extend the mist.

I agree. There is still possible to place there a tile. So mist is not limited now.
Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Halflings I or Halflings II

Started by stalcupojoy

6 Replies
Last post January 11, 2016, 01:49:58 PM
by Hounk
xx
Besiegers and Halflings II (and New Edition and Goldrush) now available at Cundco

Started by jungleboy

29 Replies
Last post October 25, 2014, 05:53:56 AM
by Darwin
xx
Flier, Halflings and German Castles interactions

Started by cidervampire

23 Replies
Last post April 18, 2016, 03:52:59 AM
by Yashin-n
xx
WTB: Carcassonne the City and Halflings (spielbox)

Started by supertopix

9 Replies
Last post April 14, 2016, 03:47:54 PM
by supertopix
xx
The Barn and the Halflings

Started by Guy

7 Replies
Last post August 30, 2021, 07:43:33 PM
by PapaGeek