Author Topic: Anybody else notice several errors in the instruction manual from big box #4?  (Read 7424 times)

Offline frankdux

• Freeman
  • Merit: 1
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
I love carcassonne to death, but the makers need better editors when putting together their (english) instruction manuals.

Here's a list of errors i've found so far:

1. p. 9 - For The Flying Machines instructions there is only a Rule change #2, but no rule change #1.
2. p. 10 - For The Messengers instructions there is only a Rule change #3, but no rule change #1, #2.

(You might think that each mini-expansion may be continuing the number count for their instructions, but that can't be the case because The Flying Machines is the first mini-expansion and it starts with rule change #2, and the previous major expansion on the preceding pages had 3 rule changes. Also, The Ferries mini expansion on p. 11 starts over with Rule Change #1.)

3. p. 12 - for The Gold Mines instructions there is a Rule change #1 and #3, but no #2.
4. p. 13 - For The Mage & Witch instructions there is a Rule change #1 and #3, but no #2.
5. p. 14 - For The Robbers instructions there is a Rule change #1 and #3, but no #2.

How can they screw up their numbers numerous times over?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=892.0
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 11:50:44 AM by frankdux »

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
This is good to know. Because of this, I will never buy this box.

^-^

Just joking. Truth is I was close to buy it several times but always hesitated. Earlier today I did a calculation and the price for drawing tiles in this box is higher from this box set than buying each expansion / base set separate for me here in Sweden.

Big Box 3 was amazing. I would'v buy several of that had I known it would save me almost half the cost than buying each individually.

Back to topic at hand: Has there been errata in many languages / releases in general? From the Scandinavian releases I can't recall seeing any at all.
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
One headline of each mini in the box:

"Rule changes"

Then in the rule for each mini you can find the changes in the rule (different rule than the base game)

example: Mage & Witch:

turn sequence:
1. Placing land tiles
after placement of the landscape tile with a mage symbol you place/move the mage or the witch.
(rule change to the rule for the base game)

2. Placing new followers
(no rule change to the rule for the base game - this is a standard rule, not necessarily to explain again)

3. Scoring completed roads, cities and monasteries
rule for scoring finished features with mage or witch
(rule change to the rule for the base game)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 01:23:43 PM by kettlefish »

Offline obervet

• Authors
  • Count
  • Merit: 36
    • View Profile
I had to go back and forth in the rules a couple of times to figure out what they had done. It does make sense, although it's not immediately obvious.

As kettlefish notes, the number of the rule change isn't an ordinal count of sequential changes. The number actually refers back to the pertinent section of the original rules -- 1. Placing land tiles, 2. Placing new followers, or 3. Scoring.

Offline frankdux

• Freeman
  • Merit: 1
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile

Ah. I see.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Anybody else having problems with Android app?

Started by EtherGnat

2 Replies
Last post August 03, 2016, 01:22:07 AM
by Decar
xx
WTB C1 Expansion 9 Hills & Sheep Box, Cardboard Insert and Instruction sheet

Started by dronedrone

3 Replies
Last post March 09, 2023, 04:01:34 AM
by dronedrone
xx
Anyone ever notice this on the Tower box?

Started by Decar

14 Replies
Last post April 10, 2021, 08:09:07 AM
by wolnic
xx
jcloisterzone.com website related errors

Started by Paul

1 Replies
Last post January 15, 2015, 12:27:25 PM
by farin
smiley
Feb 18 forum errors - no worries just maintenance