Author Topic: What are the rarest English C1 Full expansions?  (Read 921 times)

Offline chris6507

• Vassal
  • Merit: 1
    • View Profile
What are the rarest English C1 Full expansions?
« on: January 25, 2022, 02:52:30 PM »
I know that Hills & Sheep is one of the rarest C1 expansions, but at the same time I didn't even originally know until I came back to Carcassonne that King, Count & Robber had even been released in English. So just wondering what the general ranking of rarity C1 English expansions would be? Just from what i've seen online (while looking for a copy of count, king & robber) it's seemed something like this:

1. Hills & Sheep
2. Count, King & Robber
3. Catapult
4. Princess & Dragon
5. Tower
6. Bridges, Castles & Bazaars
7. Traders & Builders
8. Abbey & Mayor
9. Inns & Cathedrals

My list is just based on observed listings on marketplace and ebay over the last month, does not include big boxes and has not official information (not sure if there is any information available or not). So what do you all either know or suspect are the rarest C1 Full expansions?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=5703.0

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 114
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
Re: What are the rarest English C1 Full expansions?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2022, 02:55:26 PM »
I think Cathars is the most rare. That and La Porxada were the most difficult for me to obtain.

Offline chris6507

• Vassal
  • Merit: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2022, 04:33:37 PM »
Hey, thanks for your reply. I do understand some of the mini expansions are particularly rare. I'm more just wondering about the 9 full expansion packs.  :D

Offline DIN0

• Viscount
  • Merit: 37
  • Carcassonne is only complete with 11th expansion:)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2022, 06:24:49 AM »
When it comes to major expansions, here are some things to consider:
None of them are particularly rare because they were the main source of expanding material for most people and were printed in highest quantities compared to mini-expansions and promo tiles.
The expansions that came first chronologically, had more opportunities to be reprinted and/or included in bundles/special editions, than the younger expansions. So the expansions with higher quantities are poised to be less rare from the supply perspective.
After the switch to C2, all of the expansions were eventually reprinted in the new artwork, but in the meantime between the reprint and C2 switch, C1 was the only source of specific expansions at any given time, meaning expansions reprinted later would have their C1 stocks depleted more than expansions reprinted sooner. Considering these were mostly expansions which already had smaller print runs, their overall quantities were dwindled even further making them more rare in C1 form.
Lastly the sole expansion which didn't see a C2 reprint (and never will) is the Catapult (exp.7). Anyone wanting to buy it is required to dig into the C1 stocks and this has led to a massive price inflation in the recent years, making the once unwanted box the rarest C1 major expansion today.

So to answer your question you could make an imaginary plot showing the timeline on x axis and rarity on y axis. Expansions 1-6 and 8-9 would form a continuous increasing trend in rarity, and expansion 7 would be above it as an outlier.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 08:03:09 AM by DIN0 »

Offline kothmann

• Viscount
  • Merit: 92
  • Oh! That’s interesting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2022, 08:01:02 AM »
you could make an imaginary plot…
Did somebody say “imaginary plot”?!  Excellent!  :@

Offline DIN0

• Viscount
  • Merit: 37
  • Carcassonne is only complete with 11th expansion:)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2022, 08:05:46 AM »
Indeed  :D Well I don't have enough hard data to make any real plot for this, so this is the best I can do. Maybe one day...

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Old artwork: Which expansions are the rarest?

Started by Drodo

14 Replies
Last post July 05, 2020, 07:02:40 AM
by DIN0
xx
Carcassone collectors: What's the top 5 rarest Carcassonne thing according to u!

Started by DavidY

0 Replies
Last post April 19, 2017, 09:13:56 PM
by DavidY
xx
[WTG] Carcassonne 2.0 + All Full Expansions - Boxes and Inserts ONLY

Started by Rhoobarb2005

5 Replies
Last post February 28, 2019, 03:25:34 AM
by supertopix
question
I want a full carcassone set in cundco