Author Topic: To sleeve or not to sleeve  (Read 3429 times)

Offline KBellon

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 2
    • View Profile
To sleeve or not to sleeve
« on: May 26, 2021, 03:57:06 PM »
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anybody had any experience with sleeving their Carc tiles?
And if yes, which sleeves you prefer.

I would like to use my spiel tiles, Darmstadt, Plague tiles etc. in game, but I would hate it if they would take any damage.
I don't think they will wear off as I only play each specific expansion a few times a year.

But anyways, do you think it's necessary or helpful to sleeve your tiles?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=5331.0

Offline Allograft

• Marquis
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Re: To sleeve or not to sleeve
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 04:23:17 PM »
On the positive side, sleeves protect tiles from shuffling, spilled drinks, and greasy fingers.

On the negative side, the tiles don't fit together as easily and your family will tease you.

Also, sleeves do not protect against being chewed by dogs.

I like Swan -  :pink-meeple:

Offline Drodo

• Duke
  • Merit: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 05:45:49 PM »
I ordered 3200 sleeves. Not delivered yet but they're coming. I'm using them on the whole collection. Should be enough for every single Carcassonne game I own.

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2021, 11:06:25 PM »
Here you are a topic covering sleeving techniques for non-square tiles, just in case you are interested...

http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=4941.0

As you can see, you can find some hard-core sleevers around.  ;D
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2021, 12:13:02 AM »
Normally, all my tiles/expansions are for playing, and as I can't be bothered to sleeve everything, sleeving for me means to take those tiles out of the running for playing.
In the beginning, I only sleeved my spiel tiles and russian promos. I've got some home-made copies of the first Russian set, which I use to play with, and the others... Ah well..

But I recently saw some expansions shoot up in prices and have been thinking about sleeving more. For some expansions I do have extra copies, so if mine become damaged, I can replace, but some I don't. But I haven't done it yet, as I want to keep playing with them, and still don't feel much for sleeving a whole set.
For the base game for example I find it pointless to sleeve; I've got over 20 (old art) base games, so why would I go through the trouble of sleeving 1 set (that is already showing signs of wear) when I like to see them being used, and I got them to play, not to look at (got other tiles for that hahahaha)

So yeah, tricky question that I'm not sure about myself, but for now I am still very selective with sleeving
Join me on the journey through the history and oddities of Carcassonne, on My Instagram
1 0 days since i've bought more Carcassonne

Offline KBellon

• Nobleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2021, 01:57:17 AM »
Thanks for the answers!

I would only sleeve the expensive expansions as well. Just in case for example The Plague gets damaged.
No idea how much it would cost in the future to buy it again.

The reason is because I did buy everything to play it and not to sit around in a closet and to look at it from time to time. It does bother me that the sleeved tiles would leave some space between the tiles.

On the other hand, I am thinking to maybe print some of the most expensive expansions and use them for playing as well. I think I might go with that, something to do this summer ;)

Anyways, I already have some rules concerning carcassonne safety -> no drinks on the table (we got a little extra table ready for that) and no potato chips or snacks while playing :p

Offline KBellon

• Nobleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2021, 09:33:03 AM »
Another question, do you actually see any damage to your tiles?

I got my basegame in 2009 and the tiles still look exactly the same as some of my newest tiles.
I can imagine maybe after 20 years some changes are visible.
However, would not mind it in the base game, you can just buy another. And most mini expansions will not be included in every game, making them wear off a lot slower I would think.

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2021, 12:09:09 PM »
Yes, I can definitely see some wear on my standard play game.
Picture for comparison:

So those are a few random tiles from the base game I usually play with (BB5 game), next to one of the unpunched games I have.
You can see some wear on the tile, and I can tell by the corners/sides of the tiles as well.

These are not too bad, but I have seen a really worn out game that has seen many many plays at the board game cafe in Oxford a few years back.
It also depends a bit on how you play. We always use a bag, which leads to more wear on the tiles than a tile tower for example

Offline Allograft

• Marquis
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2021, 01:59:49 PM »
For the base game for example I find it pointless to sleeve

I sleeve the base game so that things fit together nicely. Do you find that sleeved and unsleeved work well during actual gameplay together? -  :pink-meeple:

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2021, 02:36:49 PM »
I haven't played with any sleeved tile so far, so also haven't tried to mixed sleeved and non-sleeved.
The one thing with that is that you then can tell if you're getting a sleeved tile, and with that can predict more what tile (or at least from which expansion) you're getting, so I would expect to play with all sleeved or all non-sleeved in a game

Offline KBellon

• Nobleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2021, 03:53:26 PM »
It also depends a bit on how you play. We always use a bag, which leads to more wear on the tiles than a tile tower for example

Yeah thats why I only use 2 towers to stack the tiles. And before playing we dont really slide them over each other onto the table, we just randomly place expansion tiles in between little stacks of the base game on the table and then place the stacks into the tower. All to avoid rubbing the tiles.

Offline Allograft

• Marquis
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2021, 04:42:06 PM »
Indeed, the bag can definitely wear the tiles. Jelly beans are polished by basically putting a whole bunch in a large front loading clothes dryer. They are spun, like shaking the bag, and the friction of the jellybeans against one another wears down edges and makes them all smooth. Great for candy. Not so good for Darmstadt. -  :pink-meeple:
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 05:02:43 PM by Allograft »

Offline Dkmvs

• Freeman
  • Merit: 4
  • Just lurking around..
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2021, 10:08:28 AM »
We use a bag and I’ve got it all sleeved. And I wouldn’t like to play without it. I’d definetaly recommend sleeving. Swan sleeves btw.

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2021, 10:25:35 AM »
I haven't sleeved my tiles yet... I shuffle them by making small stacks combining base game tiles and other expansions tiles and then mix the stacks and place them in a tower dispenser...

Offline Allograft

• Marquis
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2021, 11:22:24 AM »
We use a bag and I’ve got it all sleeved. And I wouldn’t like to play without it. I’d definetaly recommend sleeving. Swan sleeves btw.

Merit! for basically doing what I do -  :pink-meeple:

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Why are the fanmade expansions not on BGG??

Started by jappie

3 Replies
Last post May 18, 2015, 07:40:49 AM
by jappie
xx
Saint Nicholas Scoring Board why not Santa Claus scoring board?

Started by Windekind

7 Replies
Last post December 06, 2019, 12:31:54 AM
by Murphy013
xx
Ukraine Promo Tile will not be reprinted and earned 1 mil Hrivnas

Started by Bumsakalaka

1 Replies
Last post January 04, 2023, 01:03:20 PM
by danisthirty
xx
The Tower - Rule book from ZMG has not included the update from BigBox1