Author Topic: 2015 World Cup of Carcassonne Central - Knock-Out Stage  (Read 61668 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 World Cup of Carcassonne Central - Knock-Out Stage
« Reply #105 on: December 06, 2015, 03:03:31 AM »
Yes, MrsNumbers also enjoyed the game. In fact, it could go either way, if she would have placed crrf tile by herself (she had such possibility), and claimed both farm and road. But she didn't want to free your monk, so you did it by yourself.

Yes, in fact I think she drew two crrf tiles since the point that I came to rely on one so heavily. If we had switched positions and I had the opportunity to place the tile for my opponent I don't think I would have done either, even for the farm and the road. Having so many knights in the city, the meeple back from the cloister was what I needed most at that time so I think she chose well to deprive me of it.

The other reason I would not have done it is that this would have left the huge city just one tile away from completion. I wasn't expecting it to be completed, but if such a tile remained in the deck (I didn't know if there was one or not) and my opponent drew it to complete the city then I would never have forgiven myself!

Will there be a game for 3rd place?

In the last edition I and Jungle Boy we made the game for third and fourth place.
I think it should be done this time.

Yes, definitely there should be. This is how we will determine 3rd/ 4th place overall. :(y)

Any news on your game Merlin_89/ farin?

Offline Merlin_89

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 06, 2015, 12:59:35 PM »
Congrats Dan! You had to practice a lot...

I've just sent PM to farin, I definetely want to play SF this week (the sooner the better).

Offline Merlin_89

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 07, 2015, 04:13:31 PM »
Here we are, me and Farin played 2nd semifinal:  :yellow-meeple: 273 Merlin_89 - Farin 212  :blue-meeple:

It can be said that game had two parts, first 40-50 tiles when Farin was quite ahead, and last part when I equaled Farin's score and built safe advantage over him.

We started, and Farin played fiercely! We barely started and he used a castle (it was obvious that he fully wants to use expansions to up his game). And it gave him quick additional 14 points. I haven't started my game and he led by more than 30 points (I was -1). He counteracted to my initiatives, my first city (with builder) quickly became his city (2-1 in meeples). My game was based on scoring small stuff, collecting gold... and putting meeples into cloisters. I had constantly (whole game) at least 2 meeples in cloisters, I felt it was huge risk, but those points allowed me to equal with Farin.

Then things started to go a little bit more my way. I started farm game by putting key farmer that ended with winning 50 points. Farin had very small possibilities to get inside... I managed to limit Farin's chances to score in few areas, he started to be low on meeples, and he had to feel pressure, because I scored constantly (small stuff and cloisters), gold tiles suited me. I claimed one wheat and one cloth from Farin's city (8 pointer on the left side) - small move but in the end it gave me 20 points (otherwise it would had to be his 20 points so it was 40 points worth move). Different things suited me, Farin got CFRF that he needed to finish nearly blocked city, but in the process he enlarged my farm and connected it with pig herd from river tile... It really looked good for me. With last push, Farin regained control over incompleted city worth 29 points, but it was too little. Before final scoring I had small edge of 10 points (138-128). But I had winning margin with farms, gold, and trade goods, all of that gave me victory.

In the end, I think that Bridges and Castles had small impact on our game. I helped my game only a little with 2 bridges, but because I was low on meeples I couldn't use any castle. On the other hand Bazaars could have had real impact on the game, I managed not to overpay and get most of tiles I wanted.

Farin, thanks for playing, you were worthy opponent! Thanks for your great work on JCloister! :)

Next stop, (mini)mega Carcassonne - 174 tiles... And against Dan... Thriller?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 04:50:08 PM by Merlin_89 »

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 07, 2015, 11:46:14 PM »
here come the x-score list: WorldCup15 - 3rd round - semi-finals:

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 08, 2015, 02:57:54 AM »
Congratulations Merlin_89! :) :(y) It sounds like it was a tough game for both players...

So we now have just two games left to play:

Final: danisthirty vs. Merlin_89
Match for 3rd / 4th: farin vs. MrsNumbers

Both games will use the following expansions:
  • Inns & Cathedrals
  • Princess & Dragon
  • The Tower
  • Abbey & Mayor
  • Mage & Witch
  • Festival
  • Besiegers
  • The Phantom
I guess I won't be sparring with Merlin_89 for my next match, so if anyone has time for a practice match against me at some point this week I could use the experience!

Dan
:blue-meeple:
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 05:14:55 AM by danisthirty »

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 08, 2015, 05:46:26 AM »
surely its a fix!! the organiser is in the final!
Just lay the damn tile!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 08, 2015, 05:58:34 AM »

@Rosco: I was worried that this might have been posted by someone who had hacked into your account so I've reset your password. PM me if you want the new one... :P

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 08, 2015, 06:15:25 AM »
ha ha ha - scared someone may find out your secret??? 

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 08, 2015, 06:20:27 AM »
Christmas Card List 2015
  • Rosco
  • Everyone else
:P

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 08, 2015, 06:26:28 AM »
Dan - of course you are an incredibly skilful player who got to the final completely on his own merits. I never thought anything else!

Offline Guy

• Count
  • Merit: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 08, 2015, 06:42:42 AM »

I'm not aware of any ties that Danisthirty has with FIFA but with the quality of the expansions he gives away as prizes, the size of his collection, and now him as a finalist in the World Cup I am becoming more suspicious that he may have picked up some of their underhand competitive methods...  :P
I play orange

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 08, 2015, 06:47:17 AM »
Christmas Card List 2015
  • Rosco
  • Guy
  • Everyone else
Christmas is getting cheaper... ;)

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 08, 2015, 06:51:43 AM »
Before this gets out of hand - i would categorically like to say that Dan has done a bang up job organising various competitions and i trust him to do so without prejudice.  He is very trust worthy and him getting to the final is actually a measur eof his immense skill at the carcassonne table and nothing else.  I wish i had his skill and i hope to try to at least match his level of skill at the uk champs this year.

Please dont lets put into question his honour as all that will do is make it difficult for him to give it his all in the final which his opponent deserves. 

Good luck to you both.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 08, 2015, 06:56:24 AM »
Before this gets out of hand - i would categorically like to say that Dan has done a bang up job organising various competitions and i trust him to do so without prejudice.  He is very trust worthy and him getting to the final is actually a measur eof his immense skill at the carcassonne table and nothing else.  I wish i had his skill and i hope to try to at least match his level of skill at the uk champs this year.

+1 to this. I'd just like to add that I'm also devastatingly good looking and keep rather a handsome beard too.

(we need an emoticon with a beard - but since we don't have one, please pretend I posted one above)

Offline Guy

• Count
  • Merit: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 08, 2015, 07:26:13 AM »
Before this gets out of hand - i would categorically like to say that Dan has done a bang up job organising various competitions and i trust him to do so without prejudice.  He is very trust worthy and him getting to the final is actually a measure of his immense skill at the Carcassonne table and nothing else.  I wish i had his skill and i hope to try to at least match his level of skill at the UK champs this year.

Please don't lets put into question his honour as all that will do is make it difficult for him to give it his all in the final which his opponent deserves. 

Good luck to you both.

+1 from me too.  Best of luck in the final Dan and Merlin - may the best man win.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
clip
2017 World Cup - Knock-Out Stage

Started by MrNumbers

121 Replies
Last post May 23, 2018, 02:54:30 AM
by Halfling
xx
World Cup - Knock-out Stage!

Started by danisthirty

117 Replies
Last post March 04, 2015, 07:01:52 AM