Author Topic: update profile  (Read 40056 times)

Offline DrMeeple

• Baron
  • Merit: 33
  • I mix expansions at my own risk.
    • View Profile
Re: update profile
« Reply #105 on: November 17, 2021, 09:56:56 AM »
We will have to split C3.0 eventually and freeze C2.0 as is... almost like C1 at present

Now it is the time to decide the approach to clarifications in an orderly manner...  >:D

Should we consider the following separation?

C2.1:
* Spiel '21 Tile

C2.5 (20th Anniversary Edition):
* Base Game 20th Anniversary Edition
* River 20th Anniversary Edition
* 20th Anniversary Expansion

C3.0:
* Base Game
* Exp. 1 (in BB7 only so far)
* Exp. 2 (in BB7 only so far)
* River I 3.0
* Minis #1-#7 (in BB7 only)
* The Gifts
* Peasant Revolts
* ...Whatever else they release by the Advent Campaign...
Totally agree with this classification ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I mix expansions at my own risk.

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
  • Merit: 47
  • I'm still in beta.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 17, 2021, 11:03:05 AM »
C2.1:
* Spiel '21 Tile

C3.0:
* Base Game
* River I 3.0
* The Gifts
* Peasant Revolts

Haven't been on the site in quite a while, but I got an email alert on this topic. Seeing how weak the continuity discipline has gotten at HiG makes me even more glad I didn't start to become a completionist on new Carc. The multiple redesigns and the "need" to keep rebuying the whole system might have killed my joy for the game.

Don't get me wrong, completionism is pretty fun — but these endless format changes are getting kind of ridiculous. I'm so glad I somehow got booted out of the cult mindset, and I'm pretty happy with my "closed canon" of classic Carcassonne.

This split-building business is ... surprisingly ill-advised. It's like they've completely forgotten how the quaint beauty of Doris' original artwork was so foundational to the game and its early success. Part of the fun of playing was sitting back afterwards and admiring the landscape that was built. Unfortunately every new development seems to replace parts of that countryside beauty with a cacophony of noisy tiles. Rip out the heart, stick in a pacemaker, make everything flash and beep and spam words & numbers across the tiles... and when you see a patch of empty grass, for heaven's sake FILL THAT SPACE UP WITH STUFF! The artwork approach now seems to be "The noisier, the better."

It's still Carcassonne in terms of game mechanics. But no longer in terms of beauty. Some players like this flashiness and busy-ness better; I get that. To each his own. But I can't escape the fact that it's not the sweet, slender, soft-spoken girl we knew in high school; it's an aging, overweight woman caked with heavy makeup and laboring under pounds of gaudy jewelry. And she's LOUD. When in doubt, wear more bangles; increase the makeup; add more colors; combine stripes with polka-dots.

In one man's opinion, anyway. (Probably the wrong opinion for this clubhouse.) I'll go back to shutting up now.
My stuff: The Caverns of Carcassonne | Wheel of Fortune versions | True North (wind roses) | Icon facelifts | Converting CII to CI | Signposts & the Château | The Vault | Riverboats & the Whirlpool | trade list

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #107 on: November 17, 2021, 01:27:11 PM »
Why is 20 Anniversary edition as 2.5? It hasn't rounded corners?
Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 17, 2021, 01:42:32 PM »
I'm calling it C2.5 because of the Easter Eggs...

No matter what they say in the rules about combining this version with some expansions, Johannes told us the 20th Anniversary Edition wasn't designed to be a replacement of the base game when playing with other expansions so... Prime Directive!  :o :o :o
The anniversary edition is not a Substitute for the base game. So the same statement applies here: We won't give you official rules for combinations of expansions. (4/14/2021)

https://discord.com/channels/732545299351994379/740546221592018986/831885303241244723

No comments!  >:D
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 01:44:03 PM by Meepledrone »
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline DrMeeple

• Baron
  • Merit: 33
  • I mix expansions at my own risk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 17, 2021, 03:17:14 PM »
C2.1:
* Spiel '21 Tile

C3.0:
* Base Game
* River I 3.0
* The Gifts
* Peasant Revolts

Haven't been on the site in quite a while, but I got an email alert on this topic. Seeing how weak the continuity discipline has gotten at HiG makes me even more glad I didn't start to become a completionist on new Carc. The multiple redesigns and the "need" to keep rebuying the whole system might have killed my joy for the game.

Don't get me wrong, completionism is pretty fun — but these endless format changes are getting kind of ridiculous. I'm so glad I somehow got booted out of the cult mindset, and I'm pretty happy with my "closed canon" of classic Carcassonne.

This split-building business is ... surprisingly ill-advised. It's like they've completely forgotten how the quaint beauty of Doris' original artwork was so foundational to the game and its early success. Part of the fun of playing was sitting back afterwards and admiring the landscape that was built. Unfortunately every new development seems to replace parts of that countryside beauty with a cacophony of noisy tiles. Rip out the heart, stick in a pacemaker, make everything flash and beep and spam words & numbers across the tiles... and when you see a patch of empty grass, for heaven's sake FILL THAT SPACE UP WITH STUFF! The artwork approach now seems to be "The noisier, the better."

It's still Carcassonne in terms of game mechanics. But no longer in terms of beauty. Some players like this flashiness and busy-ness better; I get that. To each his own. But I can't escape the fact that it's not the sweet, slender, soft-spoken girl we knew in high school; it's an aging, overweight woman caked with heavy makeup and laboring under pounds of gaudy jewelry. And she's LOUD. When in doubt, wear more bangles; increase the makeup; add more colors; combine stripes with polka-dots.

In one man's opinion, anyway. (Probably the wrong opinion for this clubhouse.) I'll go back to shutting up now.
You are not alone in this case! True carcassonne always will be original Doris stuff. It’s a complete collection. I’m a completionist but not for C2 because I don’t like it. This forum needs more C1 lovers! Please don’t go away :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #110 on: November 18, 2021, 01:27:40 AM »
The anniversary edition is not a Substitute for the base game. So the same statement applies here: We won't give you official rules for combinations of expansions. (4/14/2021)

https://discord.com/channels/732545299351994379/740546221592018986/831885303241244723

So Carcassonne 20 is actually v3, because it can't be used with any other expansions.

Making v3 v3.1.

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #111 on: November 18, 2021, 03:01:05 AM »
The new stuff is NOT 3.0. It is done by the same artist as 2.0 and still resembles 2.1 in almost every way except the crowded Cities. That’s it. Are they releasing a new box cover? Yes, but if you look at the original Carcassonne boxes they were continuously tweaked with a grim knight and robber ultimately replaced by an enchanted knight and flirty maiden. While there is definitely a continuity break in 2014 due to a change in artists, that is definitely not the case in 2021. Same artist, same style, just editorial tweaks to the format.

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2021, 05:42:33 AM »
The new box art is nice, but i would agree it would not necessarily mean that we're into C3 now. "A new design" can be just aimed at the box art, which has changed a lot in C1 and even in C2.
In terms of box art, it would be the 4th edition of C2 ;)

We've seen 1 webshop calling it a "New Edition", and they did mention a revised rulesheet and more detailed tiles.
I'll wait to see what HiG/Cundco call it if/when they release the new base game&BB7. If they call it a "New Edition", i'd be more inclined to go with C3 for it. If not, i'm happy to stick with C2.2

In terms of how to list it in the profiles, i would suggest waiting for the same. If HiG call these C3, let's follow that. If they don't, then just list BB7 under the C2 section.
We don't have separate entries for different box arts, or special/limited editions of things. Carc20 would be understandable to list, as it brings a (so far) unique expansion&river.

And i wouldn't list the mini's separately until they can be purchased from a publisher separately. We don't have them listed separately from BB6 either.
Join me on the journey through the history and oddities of Carcassonne, on My Instagram
1 0 days since i've bought more Carcassonne

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #113 on: November 18, 2021, 10:33:37 AM »
I thing divide between C2 and C3 is good to solve different tile design (rounded corners in c3).

So C1 and C2 are compatible because they have same design of tiles and also same design on back side.

But C3 have different design and tiles in Tower or in stack are visibly different.

This is maybe why HiG published Carc20 bags.

Odoslané z SM-A202F pomocou Tapatalku

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 18, 2021, 01:42:37 PM »

So Carcassonne 20 is actually v3, because it can't be used with any other expansions.

Making v3 v3.1.

This is what Johannes told us... but to my surprise, HiG distributed the following brochure at Essen saying:
Die Carcassonne Jubiläumsedition ist mit allen Erweiterungen beliebig kombinierbar.

In English this means:
The Carcassonne Anniversary Edition can be combined with all expansions as desired.

OK. Gotta go to prepare some questions for HiG...  >:D

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #115 on: November 18, 2021, 02:05:53 PM »
YES YES YES YES YES!

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 01, 2021, 01:35:03 AM »
I updated the profile fields to add The Signposts and Carcassonne 3.0...

I also moved all the sets with clipped to a new group called NEW ARTWORK 3.0 for the time being... Let's see if HiG confirms this eventually.

Offline DIN0

• Viscount
  • Merit: 37
  • Carcassonne is only complete with 11th expansion:)
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 01, 2021, 05:35:57 AM »
?? But there is no 3.0

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 01, 2021, 05:47:29 AM »
Not annouced by HiG, but available in Germany, Austria, France and Greece as far as we know...

Here you are a couple of examples:

>> Carcassonne v3.0 (DE)
https://www.fantasywelt.de/Carcassonne-v30-DE

>> Carcassonne Big Box v3.0 (DE)
https://www.fantasywelt.de/Carcassonne-Big-Box-v30-DE

Offline DIN0

• Viscount
  • Merit: 37
  • Carcassonne is only complete with 11th expansion:)
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 01, 2021, 06:02:58 AM »
I know about the releases, but it is still C2 artwork even if with some added more recent details. The previously used C2.2 is more appropriate if we want a fan term. It is the same situation as the switch to lighter city colors. C3 would require an entire overhaul of artwork/artstyle.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Request for update of Profile Carcassonne games

Started by Bumsakalaka

35 Replies
Last post October 19, 2021, 02:51:56 PM
by Meepledrone
exclamation
Profile info update

Started by DIN0

2 Replies
Last post March 11, 2020, 12:59:12 PM