Author Topic: Weekly Online Game  (Read 241606 times)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Re: Weekly Online Game
« Reply #105 on: November 06, 2014, 09:56:20 AM »
I'm still in, without the Pepsi Max.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 06, 2014, 03:11:20 PM »
Another great game! One of the best so far I'd say, and with an exciting twist at the end!

My favourite moment of the game was when jungleboy and I finally got our barns onto the main farm which Rosco had already claimed with his barn. So, 3 barns on the same farm for 76 points each! I also felt that this combination of expansions worked really well together. The only one I wouldn't have minded saying goodbye to was the Cult places but even these added something to the game.

Still not sure whether completing B1nder and jungleboy's city with the last tile of the game was the right thing to do but it won me the King tile from Rosco so I was happy about that!

Well played guys. Looking forward to next week already!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 01:46:01 PM by danisthirty »

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #107 on: November 06, 2014, 10:56:15 PM »
This was indeed an amazing game. Even with danisthirty's help, I'm not sure how I won. Rosco really outplayed the field, and I think everyone (including him) thought he had the game won until the last draw tile.

The combination of expansions was really interesting. P&D and A&M are both complicated expansions with lots of aspects to them, so there was a lot going on in this game and plenty of things to think about with each move.

Very early in the game, a dominant farm emerged and there was a race to see who could put the first barn in it. Rosco won this race and for most of the game he was alone in this farm. What he also did very well was continue to add farmers to this farm for extra points throughout the game and ended up scoring 123 points on farms. Dan and I were very focussed on trying to place our barns in positions that would allow us to join this main farm, so we spent a good deal of time and energy trying to set this up (both before and after the placing of our barns), which allowed Rosco to continue to score points in other ways to extend his lead.

Also early in the game, the dragon featured heavily and tore up the board, having several nice meals along the way.

Another important factor, as always in games that feature them, was the German monasteries. B1nder drew one early but chose to place a monk rather than an abbot, (correctly) thinking that his follower wouldn't survive the dragon anyway and that he should try to complete it and get out with his nine points before the dragon came. This tactic ultimately didn't work as the dragon ate the monk when there was only one tile left for completion. Meanwhile Dan and I claimed two high-scoring German monasteries each, while the last one was also claimed by Dan but eaten by the dragon. I eventually scored 86 points on cloisters/monasteries while Rosco didn't draw any German monasteries, but for most of the game it didn't seem to matter as he held a handy lead and had the barn to pad his total in end-game scoring.

Regarding the King and Robber Baron tiles, I grabbed the robber baron tile almost by accident fairly early in the game after I claimed a road that had become empty after the dragon ate Rosco's wagon and someone else's thief (b1nder's?). B1nder completed the city in the middle of the board with the CCCC tile to grab the King tile, but Rosco eventually used his abbey to claim a bigger city towards the end of the game. This allowed him to extend his lead to more than 60 points and secure the King tile.

The two most important things in the game were the barns and the final, largest city. I placed my barn about midway through the game in a place where I thought it could be possible to join it to Rosco's farm, but to do so required me to loop a road and to draw a RFFF tile. Dan placed his barn soon after and it was joined to mine. This created a second possible place where we could join it with Rosco's farm, and when Dan drew the last German monastery with a road, this gave us our chance in this second location. I drew the last two tiles needed to join the farm with about 10 tiles to go and this seemed like the only victory that Dan or I would get on the night.

Meanwhile b1nder and I were competing for a city in the northwest of the board. He managed to block my mayor from joining in, though it didn't look like the city would be finished. B1nder drew an important tile to close one end of it with just a few tiles left, and Dan drew a two-cit CCFF tile with the last draw tile of the game. He decided to close the city to gain the King tile for himself, while giving b1nder and me 32 points each. This was enough to give me victory though Rosco was very unlucky not to win because he was the frontrunner for the entire game. Thanks to Dan for his courageous move! Without it, it looks like Rosco would have won fairly comfortably, with me in second and Dan in third. b1nder had a similar score to Dan and me for most of the game but couldn't place his barn, which hurt him in the end as the barn farm was worth 76 points.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 07, 2014, 02:11:49 AM »
I’ve given you merit for such a great write-up. Thanks for this jungleboy!  :(y)

Not that it’s particularly important, but I think B1nder won the King tile for shutting jungleboy and I out of a large and rapidly growing city with a cfcf tile (one of the ones with two city segments split by a field down the middle). I thought this was very smart as it completed a city and won B1nder and Rosco an equal share of the points. If it had been allowed to get any bigger, B1nder would have been out-competed by our mayors against two of his normal followers. The second half of this city ended up being closed by two Abbeys purely so that nobody could take the points for themselves. My mayor was lured away from it by the princess and jungleboy’s mayor was eaten by the dragon. Tough game!

One thing I quite like about Princess & Dragon is the vague feeling of co-operation between players when it’s recognised that a certain powerful/ threatening piece should be removed. Sometimes this can be frustrating if everyone’s thinking isn’t entirely aligned but on this occasion I think most of the time we were all aware of what the biggest threat was (usually something red -  :red-meeple:) and worked well together to “neutralise” it! This said, on one occasion I was particularly pleased to see a dragon tile being drawn as I was hoping it would be used to remove Rosco’s knight from a city that the rest of us were sharing. I’m not entirely sure quite what happened but somehow the dragon ended up eating everything except for Rosco’s knight although I think B1nder then got back into it with a flying machine. There was always so much to think about and keep track of!

Well played all!

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 07, 2014, 09:16:39 AM »
It was a great game and it did seem that everyone was against me!
Just lay the damn tile!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 07, 2014, 09:27:52 AM »

Welcome to my world of two weeks ago!

Nothing personal you understand...  O:-)

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #111 on: November 07, 2014, 10:24:11 AM »

Welcome to my world four weeks ago! :P
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #112 on: November 07, 2014, 10:53:41 AM »

Nothing at all personal, it was simply because you were in the dominant position for the entire game. If anything you played too well so that we had no choice but to try to align against you.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 07, 2014, 11:34:47 AM »

Welcome to my world four weeks ago! :P

It doesn't count if you still win anyway!  :P

Nothing at all personal, it was simply because you were in the dominant position for the entire game. If anything you played too well so that we had no choice but to try to align against you.

Absolutely! If you're going to focus on beating someone it might as well be the person with the most points! I'm still impressed that 3 of us ended up sharing the same field, and I'm also still surprised that you didn't win it, but there's always next time...

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 13, 2014, 06:25:08 AM »
Carcassonne? This evening? Usual time? Traders & Builders? Inns & Cathedrals? Anyone playing?  :o

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #115 on: November 13, 2014, 07:08:32 AM »
Guys, I can't play tonight because I have a lot of other things to do. But I'll be back next week for sure. Have a good game!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 13, 2014, 07:23:50 AM »
Guys, I can't play tonight because I have a lot of other things to do. But I'll be back next week for sure. Have a good game!

You will be missed!

@B1nder? @Rosco? @MrNumbers? @quevy?

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #117 on: November 13, 2014, 07:35:27 AM »
I am at home and it looks like I can participate in tonight's game :)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 13, 2014, 07:44:03 AM »
I am at home and it looks like I can participate in tonight's game :)

Excellent!

Since I'm a bit bored at work I've come up with the following suggestions:

Start:
Wind Roses (6)

Major expansions:
Inns & Cathedrals (18)
Traders & Builders (24)

Other expansions:
Cult Places (5)
Die Belagerer (6)
The Festival (10)

This brings the total number of tiles up to 141 which seems like a good number for a Thursday night clash.

Any other suggestions/ replacements?

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #119 on: November 13, 2014, 08:06:55 AM »
No aggressive expansions? :o
We can add at least Flier ;)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Connection lost in Online game

Started by Hounk

5 Replies
Last post March 01, 2015, 01:00:53 PM
by farin
xx
Computer game or online

Started by Gordie_a

11 Replies
Last post October 29, 2013, 05:32:03 AM