Author Topic: Other tile laying games thread.  (Read 69343 times)

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
Re: Other tile laying games thread.
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2016, 06:45:13 AM »
It looks like a fun and change of game style to what I am used to, so I will definately have a look at Escape prices hope to get it some day.
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2016, 06:58:05 AM »
The three tiles with masks on are from one of the expansions. And whilst there isn't anything inherently wrong or ugly about the artwork, there isn't a lot of variation between tiles so the temples often look a bit samey...

It looks like a fun and change of game style to what I am used to, so I will definately have a look at Escape prices hope to get it some day.

Please try to leave some copies for everyone else! >:D

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2016, 03:27:17 PM »
New game for the list.
Skulldug

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/171234/skulldug

You explore a cave looking for treasure. The treasure is all cursed making it harder to carry. First person to get out of the cave with 3 treasures win.

I'm watching a live play with Rob Oren at the moment. It looks quite fun. Will post a link to the video when it's finished.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2016, 08:22:13 AM »

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Merit: 25
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2016, 08:49:13 AM »
I believe this one was not yet referenced.

Gardens - square tiles
In Gardens, the players work together, tile by tile, to plant, reshape and grow a garden. As opportunities arise, more and more beds will be planted. Whoever is most adept at placing his favorite plants in the garden with the help of two gardener figures and creating a majority of flowers in the most beds wins.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/153422/gardens
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me, Shall be my brother;

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2016, 09:41:29 AM »
I believe this one was not yet referenced.

Gardens - square tiles
In Gardens, the players work together, tile by tile, to plant, reshape and grow a garden. As opportunities arise, more and more beds will be planted. Whoever is most adept at placing his favorite plants in the garden with the help of two gardener figures and creating a majority of flowers in the most beds wins.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/153422/gardens

Added to the list! Great tile art at that.

Offline Chuck

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 3
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2016, 11:31:42 AM »
Looks like The Gardens of the Alhambra....

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2016, 12:41:18 PM »
Squared tiles - Karuba (owns).

I just took my first look at a review for this, it looks interesting!! What do you think of it MrNumbers?

Here is the Game Boy Geek's review:

Offline CKorfmann

• Authors
  • Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 39
  • Pigs are meeple too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2016, 08:56:17 PM »
A couple more games that appear to be missing from this list.  Suburbia is a pretty excellent game with hexagonal tiles.  It's a pretty pure tile-laying game.  I'm surprised to see it was missed.

It's younger brother is Castles of Mad King Ludwig and it's one of my new favorite games.  I guess this would fit in the uncategorized area since all the tiles are different shapes. 

Would you all consider Castles of Burgundy to be a tile laying game?  I think it fits the criteria pretty well.
Flee the fleas.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2016, 11:49:35 PM »
Castles of Burgundy and Suburbia are both very similar games that involve moving tiles from a shared area to your own personal playing board. I hadn't brought these up as I assumed this would disqualify them since they don't develop any kind of shared area in the same as games like Carcassonne do, although this may be a requirement that I've randomly invented and it could well be the case that other games which have been included work in the same way.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of Castles of Burgundy. I've only played it a couple of times but I like how it plays and enjoy the fact that you always have options and can't get stuck in the same way as you can in Suburbia. I've only played Suburbia once but I didn't really enjoy it as I didn't generate enough money in the earlier rounds to do anything interesting in the later rounds (kind of similar to Catan and 7 Wonders where you have to know what you're doing from the start). But whilst I didn't enjoy playing it, there was certainly a lot about it that I liked (losing salary and reputation every time you cross a red line on the score track being one of them!), but I'd have to give it a few more plays to get into it and didn't feel especially inclined to play again after the first time.

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2016, 12:30:55 AM »
Squared tiles - Karuba (owns).

I just took my first look at a review for this, it looks interesting!! What do you think of it MrNumbers?

I find it as an interesting game, though my wife don't think so. Still my friends liked it. My son especially likes gold pieces and diamonds :D
In short, this game is about making the shortest path on the map (every player has it's own map) to be able to reach all temples. As distinct from Carcassonne, Karuba offers equal chances to every player, as each player plays the same tile every turn. In theory, everyone can made the same moves and earn the same amount of points in the end :)
I didn't play enough to elaborate the best strategy, but for now it looks like the best way is to go along the edges rather than through the center.
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2016, 02:15:20 AM »
I find it as an interesting game, though my wife don't think so. Still my friends liked it. My son especially likes gold pieces and diamonds :D

I should probably stop trying to find games that I think my wife will like, as she pretty much doesn't like any of them. But the one game she does like is the Little Prince, where you have to make your own planet and see who gets the highest score. And Karuba is a bit similar in that every player has their own player board and creates their own jungle and pathways, so I think she might like it. She doesn't have to worry about what other people are doing and can just try to make a nice jungle.

My FLGS has it, so I might buy it, since it's been almost a full week now since the last time I got a new game!  8)

I didn't play enough to elaborate the best strategy, but for now it looks like the best way is to go along the edges rather than through the center.

Wouldn't that depend on the exact location of each adventurer and temple to start the game? If an adventurer and the same colour temple are both near the middle of their respective edges (and opposite each other), then going through the center must be the best way, right?

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2016, 03:19:29 AM »
I'll hopefully get to update this thread this week. Didn't realise how many tile laying games there were. According to bgg.com alone there's over a thousand "tile placement" games.

Why I started this thread was mainly to see which were compatible with the Carcassonne tiles. You may have noticed I've input tile measurements for some of the games (that I actually own and able to measure).

Like Lord of the Rings game that seemed to fit Carcassonne just by looking at the image, you realise these tiles are much smaller when you see it with your own eyes, it can feel a bit of a letdown.

Stay tuned!

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2016, 04:45:25 AM »

Wouldn't that depend on the exact location of each adventurer and temple to start the game? If an adventurer and the same colour temple are both near the middle of their respective edges (and opposite each other), then going through the center must be the best way, right?

Maybe in our games temples' locations were favorable for going along the edges. You will have a chance to try different strategies by yourself :D

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Other tile laying games thread.
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2016, 05:43:42 AM »
What about carpet laying games8)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
question
What games did you enjoy at UK games expo (or other games convention)?

Started by asparagus

4 Replies
Last post June 09, 2016, 02:27:25 AM
by asparagus
xx
Other games with wooden pieces thread

Started by jungleboy

34 Replies
Last post April 11, 2016, 05:30:36 AM
by Hounk
xx
Favorite Tile-Laying Games