Author Topic: A Carcassonne League?  (Read 84385 times)

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
Re: A Carcassonne League?
« Reply #210 on: July 02, 2014, 07:48:43 AM »
...You have quite interesting strategy: at times when I would try to connect to opponent's feature, you what for a moment, maybe to estimate value of that feature, maybe to lull the vigilance :)

Well, yes, but everytime I let you get a couple of followers into a feature, then tried to block and trap, you drew the exact tile you needed on the next draw. On every key feature you drew the exact tile you needed while I could not. That was amazingly curious for me. I couldn't help but think I was missing something in my game, but there was nothing I could do for it. You are a very good player and deserve the wins! Good going!
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 02, 2014, 10:22:54 AM »
The games where the tiles seem stacked against you are always the worst. I've been mostly quite lucky so far although MrNumbers tore me apart in our second game as I grew increasingly desperate to tie the farm (which wouldn't have been enough to have won the game anyway but might have spared me some humiliation). I have a video of it which I will have to publish as a how-to guide to not winning at Carcassonne. Anyway, I feel your pain!

Carcking - do you think you will be playing Rosco tonight/ this week?

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 02, 2014, 03:02:12 PM »

What happens with not yet played games of jvnoledawg?

Do we put an other member in this League? Perhaps Jere if he like...

Yep, I'd like to join whenever it will be possible

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 02, 2014, 05:30:47 PM »
Carcking - do you think you will be playing Rosco tonight/ this week?

Not this week. Maybe this weekend. What is the time difference between us?

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 02, 2014, 09:46:43 PM »
I am in the uk
Just lay the damn tile!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 08, 2014, 03:40:08 AM »
Hello all, I'm back from holiday now and am already wondering how I coped for an entire week away from the joys of a reliable internet connection!

It seems like a lot has happened since my last update; for one thing we've finished round 6! Here's how things looked at the end of it:

Despite my last-minute changing of the rules such that the secondary ranking criteria became total score differential (total points won minus total points allowed) rather than average game score MrNumbers would have finished on top regardless, as he has done.

We were also rejoined by Rosco who came back with a new-found desire to play out the rest of his league matches against Carcking, jungleboy and myself. In order to accommodate this, the decision was made to exclude games played against jvnoledawg from the overall standings unless he is also ready to play his remaining matches in the near future. So although they have now been removed, obviously I will keep a record of jvnoledawg's matches such that the results can be added back in again if/ when they are required. If I get time I'll post a screenshot of the overall league standings updated to reflect these changes.

Of the three outstanding "Rosco matches", jungleboy vs Rosco is the only one to have taken part so far. This ended in a draw which meant jungleboy's overall league score was unchanged since his match with jvnoledawg also ended in a draw. Another consequence of this is that my league score is reduced from 14 to 13 (since I also drew against jvnoledawg) but it does give me a chance to increase it to 16 if I can achieve a win against Rosco, or back to 14 for a draw. Unfortunately for Carcking he now needs to beat Rosco to hold on to fourth position as the exclusion of his win against jvnoledawg means he could slip behind quevy who would then move up to fourth in the case of a win or a draw for Rosco against Carcking.

I'm hoping that I'll be able to play Rosco tonight at 9pm GMT (UK) but haven't heard from him for almost a week and am a little concerned that he may have fallen off the edge of the internet again. All being well though, I should be able to post some more results this evening.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 04:11:47 PM by danisthirty »

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 08, 2014, 02:49:03 PM »
What a match!!!!! Thanks again Dan. I will let you tell the story since you won!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 09, 2014, 03:59:23 AM »
Many thanks to you too Rosco, that was an excellent match! I would have written something about it last night, but whilst my memory was fresh my brain was fried so I thought I'd leave it until today:

http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=869

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #218 on: July 09, 2014, 05:04:24 AM »
Congratulations, Dan!
Now only miracle (e.g. jvnoledawg return) can save me from the 2nd place :D
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 09, 2014, 05:38:31 AM »
Thanks MrNumbers! :)

I am still hopeful that he may return and have emailed him recently but no response yet. I have also suggested that if he doesn't join in then there will still be a place for him in future leagues if he wishes to take part the next time one is run...

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 17, 2014, 03:31:25 AM »
Exciting news - Carcking and Rosco have had their match! I was hosting so got to watch the action live and can safely say that they were two of the closest games I've ever watched. In both games I thought Carcking seemed to have the edge and was heading for a narrow victory, but in both cases I was wrong and Rosco emerged victorious (finishing the second game with a bit of a flourish!)

Since I've not had a response to either of my last two emails to Joe/ jvnoledawg I can only assume that he has withdrawn from the league. Whilst this is a shame and a disappointment, it does mean that there are now no matches left to play. So that's it, we're finished; after 10 weeks, 42 games and 8413 points we're finally here!

To conclude, here's a round-up of the final three rounds (Rosco's last three matches) followed by the usual summaries of total points won, total points allowed and overall league standings:

Naturally I'm quite happy with this result, but this is purely because the competition was so strong that it really felt like a huge achievement (albeit one that was assisted by a lot of luck)! I can honestly say that I didn't play a single easy game, many of them were won or lost with the last tile and at least half of them could very easily have gone either way (Carcking in particular will know what I'm talking about here and how big a difference a single tile placement cane make)...

Thanks to everyone for taking part, I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did and I look forward to repeating it all again in a few months time. I've learnt a lot from this experience both in terms of playing Carcassonne competitively and also in organising such tournaments, so there will be a couple of changes to the way things are run next time and hopefully these will help to make things run much more smoothly and fairly for everyone involved.

Thanks also to kettlefish for her support for the league in general and for helping to arrange some of the cooler bits and pieces that everyone will be receiving in their goody bags soon (hopefully).

Until the next time!
Dan :)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 04:13:12 PM by danisthirty »

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #221 on: July 17, 2014, 06:00:32 AM »
Congratulations to Dan! :(y)
It's a pity that Joe could not complete his matches (in that case the winner could have changed >:D)

One question to Dan: I thought that we agreed at the model "2-1 points" in case of a draw in one of the match'es games? In that case you would have 15 points (no changes in final standings) and Rosco - 6 points (+1 in final standings).

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 17, 2014, 06:19:11 AM »
Thanks MrNumbers!

I was hoping that Joe would come back for that very reason as I’m aware that excluding my draw against him gave me an advantage in reaching the top spot (it wasn't so good for Carcking who had a win against him which was replaced with a loss against Rosco - but I was on holiday when this decision was made and couldn't have come up with a better/ fairer alternative anyway). We can’t wait forever in any case so I think it’s better that we just call it a day and move on to the next competition (Carcassonne World Cup)!  8)

Yes we did agree to change the points awarded if one game of a match ends in a draw, but I didn’t want to make any further changes to the rules we established for this league (albeit that there were some small flaws) and so was going to class it as an “unbalanced draw” and write it up properly before embarking on the next league competition:

Match Win = 3 league points
Game scores: 2 – 0 (one player wins both games)

Match Draw = 1 league point each
Game scores: 1 – 1 (both players win one game and lose one game, or both games are tied)

Unbalanced Draw = 2 or 1 league point(s) depending on outcome of won/lost game
Game scores: 2 – 1 (if one game ends in a draw, the player who won the other game is awarded 2 points whereas the player with the draw and the loss receives 1 point)

Further rules/ clarifications will be included regarding missed matches, drop-outs and no-shows to keep things moving in the right direction.

I’m hoping to reignite things with the Carcassonne World Cup next week now that the Football World Cup has finished.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 14, 2014, 03:02:35 AM »
Hello all!

I just wanted to post a quick message here to apologise for the delay in getting the goody bags sent out. I won’t go into the full details as to why this is, but please know that it isn’t entirely down to laziness on my part!  O:-)

All being well, it seems likely that I will be able to send them out at some point next week. So, expect something through your door in about two weeks time!

Dan

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #224 on: August 14, 2014, 03:41:29 AM »
Good to know! :(y)
Waiting with patience :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
The Carcassonne Central Divisional League - Spring Season

Started by TheSteveAllen

28 Replies
Last post March 04, 2019, 03:04:41 AM
by Chooselife
xx
Carcassonne League game connection

Started by Rosco

25 Replies
Last post July 01, 2014, 12:28:16 PM
by Rosco
xx
The Carcassonne Central Divisional League - Summer 2019

Started by TheSteveAllen

27 Replies
Last post June 02, 2019, 03:44:17 PM
by TheSteveAllen
clip
Carcassonne League Round 1: MrNumbers vs. Quevy

Started by MrNumbers

2 Replies
Last post May 10, 2014, 02:12:55 PM
by quevy
xx
Expansion League #7: Carcassonne Minis - SIGN UP HERE!

Started by MrNumbers

63 Replies
Last post September 05, 2017, 11:19:32 PM
by MrNumbers