Author Topic: Scoring Cities with Mayors and Cathedrals (involves two expansions)  (Read 4402 times)

Offline JGreystone

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Hi All -- sorry if these questions have been asked before. We are new to the expansions--"Mayor and Abbey" and "Inns and Cathedrals". Okay here the questions...and thanks so much in advance.

1. I believe that the rules for the mayor being present in a city state that the number of shields in the city determines the number of points awarded per tile in the city. So, if there are 5 shields, then each tile counts 5 points, for example. Is that correct?

2. For a city that contains a mayor, how many points are awarded for each shield? Does it remain at 2 points per shield for the completed city, or do the shields get an increased value as well?

3. What is the scoring convention if a city contains both a mayor and a cathedral?

jg

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2552.0

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
Re: Scoring Cities with Mayors and Cathedrals (involves two expansions)
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 12:58:58 PM »

1. I believe that the rules for the mayor being present in a city state that the number of shields in the city determines the number of points awarded per tile in the city. So, if there are 5 shields, then each tile counts 5 points, for example. Is that correct?

The shields are scored the same regardless of the mayor.  The shields count towards the mayor's value in meeple.  So if there is a big city with 3 shields and the green player has 2 meeple in the city and the yellow player has 1 mayor, yellow gets the points because her mayor is worth 3 meeple.  If there is a big city with no shields in it and green has 1 meeple and yellow has 1 mayor, green gets the points because the mayor is worthless without shields. 

2. For a city that contains a mayor, how many points are awarded for each shield? Does it remain at 2 points per shield for the completed city, or do the shields get an increased value as well?   
The shields are worth 2 for a completed city unless there is a cathedral or something else that changes their value.

3. What is the scoring convention if a city contains both a mayor and a cathedral?
The cathedral increases the value of the city and shield tiles as long as the city is completed.  The mayor doesn't change the point value.

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 01:07:35 PM »
dirk2112 was first with an answer :) I will only quote CAR 7.4, p.61
The strength of the mayor is the same as the number of pennants in the city. If the city has no pennants, then the mayor has a strength of zero and scores no points for the city. The score of the city is not changed by the mayor.
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 01:09:42 PM »
And another thing to pay attention to, in case missed it: 2 Cathedrals in the same city still only counts as 3 points per tile and shield. Same goes for the Inns on the same road counting as 2 points per road tile segment for that road. :)

Else, dirk2112 hit the nail on all accounts with his answers.
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline JGreystone

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 01:14:13 PM »
Okay -- thanks everyone -- that's all very clear.
I messed those rules up bad.  :P
So much for listening to "friends" playing in the same game.  LOL

jg

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 01:18:03 PM »
Okay -- thanks everyone -- that's all very clear.
I messed those rules up bad.  :P
So much for listening to "friends" playing in the same game.  LOL

Carcassonne lends itself to quite a few house rules, so don't worry about it.   We have all had our share of confusion. 

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 01:44:41 PM »
so in simple terms the number of pennants in a city tells you the power of the Mayor.  So one pennant means it is equal to a standard meeple, 2 pennants = large meeple = 2 standard meeples, 3 pennants = 3 standard meeples. It has no effect on score.

A score of a city is always 2 points for every tile and 2 points for every pennant.

A cathedral increases the value of pennants and tiles by 1 point - irrelavant of the number of cathedrals.

A siege tile on the other hand reduces the value by one point.

Just lay the damn tile!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Castle scoring with mayors

Started by DrMeeple

62 Replies
Last post January 12, 2021, 02:01:10 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
Back to the basics - scoring roads and cities

Started by SxN

8 Replies
Last post January 03, 2021, 08:53:22 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
King/Barron scoring on same size cities

Started by pigskinlover

7 Replies
Last post October 08, 2015, 03:46:46 PM
by Hounk
xx
Two Scoring Rules on Castles

Started by JGreystone

4 Replies
Last post May 11, 2015, 05:43:35 AM
by danisthirty
xx
Saint Nicholas Scoring Board why not Santa Claus scoring board?

Started by Windekind

7 Replies
Last post December 06, 2019, 12:31:54 AM
by Murphy013