Author Topic: 2017 World Cup - Group C  (Read 24536 times)

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 World Cup - Group C
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2018, 04:17:52 AM »
Jéré, I could play on Thursday or Friday this week any time after about 8:30pm UK time?

I have games planned tonight, tomorrow and Saturday. Only free slot is Friday. Seise the day Dan! (before somebody else does). :)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2018, 04:19:54 AM »
Jéré, I could play on Thursday or Friday this week any time after about 8:30pm UK time?

I have games planned tonight, tomorrow and Saturday. Only free slot is Friday. Seise the day Dan! (before somebody else does). :)

Friday it is.

Offline ny1050220

• Marquis
  • Merit: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2018, 07:00:20 AM »
Wow, busy week, Jéré, eh?

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2018, 01:03:10 PM »

Call me Terminator  8)

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2018, 01:30:48 PM »
Productive evening tonight: 2 games!

1st game:

Jéré  :yellow-meeple: 158 - 99  :red-meeple: monwil

Did some stupid things like I thought it was a good idea to add besieged tiles to my own cities then at halfgame I remembered about the point penalty. Bravo Jéré...  Monwil played well and could have won. At the very end, she tried to position her big meeple and join the main field (60pts!) but it was too late... 

2nd game:

Jéré  :yellow-meeple: 195 -144  :blue-meeple: thodekey

We scored one cathedral city each at the beginning of the game, both worth 24pts. I think what made the difference was that thodekey never managed to get a "starting tile" to free up 2 guys on a road and city, worth 28pts combined! Meeples were not blocked, he just didn't get the tile, that's unfortunate. The rest of the story was me trying to control the fields and block any attempts to sneak in.

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2018, 01:39:44 PM »
Good start, Jéré! :(y)
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2018, 02:05:54 PM »

Call me Terminator  8)

Can I still call you Jeremie? O:-)

I played my game with monwil this evening. The result was:

danisthirty :blue-meeple: 185 : 79 :red-meeple: MONWIL

This was shaping up to be a tough game, despite some good luck for me in the early part. It quickly emerged that this was going to be a farm fight so I committed to it early whilst blocking as many of monwil's meeples as possible. I was quite successful in this, but monwil drew almost all of the Festival tiles which gave her some good chances to get her meeples back and use them elsewhere. In this case, at least half of the Festival tiles came up within the last 15 - 20 tiles which meant there wasn't much chance to get back on to the farm with them by the time she got them back. Other than this I seemed to struggle to close anything in the second half of the game but had built up a good lead which I was able to capitalise on in the final scoring as I won the farm too.

Thanks for the game Monica!

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2018, 02:11:14 PM »

Jéré  :yellow-meeple: 187 - 124  :green-meeple: jungleboy

jungleboy completely dominated the beginning of the game, stole a 12-pt road with inn with a brilliant move and I started to be worried. I don't remember the score difference but it seemed I was in trouble. Slowly I managed to come back although I had a meeple almost trapped in a big city that I had built. It's only at the very end that the tile came but the game was already decided when I blocked jungleboy's desperate move to put his big meeple in the main field. Well played!

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2018, 03:49:11 PM »
I led by about 35 points about a third of the way through the game. Jéré was using up meeples at a greater rate than he normally does and things were looking good for me. Then I'm not sure what happened. I stopped scoring in the middle part of the game, Jéré eventually caught up, and then he was able to put more meeples into the main farm and eventually complete his big city. Well played and I'll be rooting for you against danisthirty!  >:D

Offline thodekey

• Count
  • Merit: 9
  • I feel Carc-complete or do I?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2018, 12:19:16 AM »
Certainly a/the group of death!  And it looks like i'll be one of the casualties... Today, numbers 1 & 2 of the ELO-ranking are clashing.  Is there an online streaming of this game?  ;)  Where is my popcorn?

If only i didn't make that simple 3-points-mistake (forgot to use my freshly released phantom for a jet closed 3 points road) in Dan's 2-points victory against me...  :(
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 01:52:39 AM by thodekey »

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2018, 10:54:34 AM »
12 games played, 3 left.

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2018, 03:09:34 PM »

Jéré  :yellow-meeple: 198 -182  :blue-meeple: danisthirty

At the beginning, we were following each other score-wise... game felt very tactical, with tough decisions to make. Dan went early for the farming strategy but I wasn't too impressed by the potential of the farms, at least in the first half of the game. I decided to go for the doughnut strategy because none of the cathedral tiles had shown up yet. Dan realised what I was trying to do but I managed to close the city in the north, then to finish it I needed a FFCC tile as well as one cathedral tile. I got them and bang... 39pts. In the end, Dan did a better job at farming (84pts vs 54pts) and especially when he blocked my big meeple and prevented me from stealing a farm worth 24pts... but ultimately, that cathedral city made the difference. Thanks for the game Dan. Well played!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2018, 03:36:10 PM »
Thanks for doing the write up Jere.

Not much I can add. A 16 point loss against Jere is about the best I could have hoped for!

Things were very even at first and our scores stayed mostly level for the first third or so of the game. I placed a few farmers a little earlier than I might normally have done and then tried to expand them a little later with varying degrees of success.

Jere got a big boost when he drew a crcr with split cities. He needed this to complete a road with inn for 14 points and scored both cities too which more than doubled his score at the time! Unfortunately I didn't react quickly enough to stop him from getting his cathedral city. Before the cathedral was placed there was a cccc gap for a long time. I was desperately hoping to draw the cccc Festival tile with 2 diagonal city pieces at that point so that I could have claimed the other half with my double meeple and then complete the city for myself. But Jere was playing the odds well and placed the cathedral tile before I'd had the chance to do this.

I spent most of what was left of the game trailing by around 50 points after Jere's cathedral city had been completed, and my chances of winning the game died with it. Things would have been decidely worse of he'd stolen or even just shared my main farm but I was lucky in maintaining my defences here!

Well played Jere, and congratulations for topping the group even with 1 game left to play. The outcome of thodekeys match with ny1050220 will determine whether I can take the second spot and go through to the next stage...

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2018, 01:16:39 AM »
Well played Jere, and congratulations for topping the group even with 1 game left to play. The outcome of thodekeys match with ny1050220 will determine whether I can take the second spot and go through to the next stage...
True, but ny1050220 also has theoretical chances to take second place in the group :) Though quite unlikely he could win from Jéré and thodekey with necessary PD to overtop Dan. Meantime, thodekey needs +32 points against Jéré ny1050220 to qualify to QF.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 03:18:29 AM by danisthirty »

Offline thodekey

• Count
  • Merit: 9
  • I feel Carc-complete or do I?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2018, 05:20:16 AM »
Regardless of the result of my game vs NY, Jéré sure shook up this group with his late entrance! Really impressive!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
2017 World Cup - Group D

Started by MrNumbers

68 Replies
Last post February 10, 2018, 04:51:44 AM
by TheSteveAllen
xx
2017 World Cup - Group A

Started by MrNumbers

62 Replies
Last post February 10, 2018, 04:49:48 AM