Author Topic: Tower-League - Groups E1 - E5  (Read 34373 times)

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
Tower-League - Groups E1 - E5
« on: July 07, 2016, 12:52:36 PM »
Tower League

the 2nd round

Here is the list for the groups E1 - E5:

Please post all the usual results, screenshots and match reports in this thread.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2823.0

Offline ny1050220

• Marquis
  • Merit: 13
    • View Profile
Re: Tower-League - Groups E1 - E5
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 01:05:55 PM »
Just messaged my group. Looks like I'm the only one not in Europe.

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 11:05:48 AM »
I also sent a message to my group with details about timezones and my availability.

In the meantime, if participants from other groups fancy a practice game, feel free to contact me. Cheers.

Offline Leven

• Viscount
  • Merit: 49
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 06:41:09 AM »
Me and ny1050220 have just finished the first game of group E3.
It was another game where luck (who gets the last tower tile) decided the final outcome. If Yi had drawn it, he could have captured one of my farmers from the 18 pt farm, and could have won the game.

:violet-meeple: Leven vs :blue-meeple: ny1050220 84:75

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 07:03:47 AM »
Well done for getting the ball rolling guys, and congratulations on your win Leven! :violet-meeple: :(y)

Offline Leven

• Viscount
  • Merit: 49
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 11:48:10 AM »
I'm afraid I've noticed a JCZ bug that has effect on our league game results.
I gained only 4 points for this incomplete city although it's made up of 4 tiles and includes a pennant as well.
I think the implemetation of the CCCC tile with pennant and tower base is wrong. It works as if the pennant wasn't there.
I will report the bug to farin.

Edit:
Fortunately this bug had no effect on the final outcome of our league games so far. There has been only two games so far where the point difference was not higher that two points and in both cases this CCCC tower tile was situated in an unoccupied incomplete city.
But how to handle this error in our forthcoming games? Should we manually record the lost points of this pennant?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 12:06:45 PM by Leven »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 12:19:51 PM »
Edit:
Fortunately this bug had no effect on the final outcome of our league games so far. There has been only two games so far where the point difference was not higher that two points and in both cases this CCCC tower tile was situated in an unoccupied incomplete city.
But how to handle this error in our forthcoming games? Should we manually record the lost points of this pennant?

Thanks for pointing this out Leven, I'm surprised that it hadn't been spotted before now.

Even if this doesn't change the result of the games played so far, there's a chance it could still have had an effect for example in Group B where ny1050220 and I had 4 points each and just 1 PD between us. This could have made all the difference to our results, but we may never know which way round we should be as it might be the case that we don't remember who scored from this tile in the event of completed cities that aren't shown in the final scoring. If anyone in particular is bothered by this, and can demonstrate that it would have changed final outcomes then I'm happy for them to do so. But in most cases I think it will be irrelevant and is probably too late to adjust for anyway.

My recommendation would be that we play on as we have been doing so far and just ignore the pennant (i.e. scores are correct). I know this means that we're not following the game as closely as we could be but it would require a lot of score adjusting for the sake of 1 point and would mean that the 2nd half of the competition is scored differently to the first (albeit only slightly). I prefer to keep things consistent, but I fully expect others to disagree and then there be an important game which is won or lost by 1 point that could have been the other way round if not the missing/ unimplemented pennant and then everyone will argue and we'll all go our separate ways never to speak again.

EDIT: I did a check in all games involving either ny1050220 or me in Group B to see if this made any difference to final PD. Here are my findings:

+1 for danisthirty against Halfling
+1 for danisthirty against Chuck
No difference for danisthirty vs. ny1050220 (unclaimed)
+1 for danisthirty against monwil

No difference for ny1050220 against Halfling (unclaimed)
-1 for ny1050220 against monwil
unknown for ny1050220 against Chuck (city complete)

So for me, my PD was actually 3 points lower than it should have been. I can live with that. for ny1050220 it was somewhere between -3 and +1 depending on who completed the city including this tile in his game with Chuck. In any case, it wouldn't be enough to overtake me so I'm satisfied that our results are the right way around.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 12:33:09 PM by danisthirty »

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 02:49:00 AM »
It's of course your decision, but I would suggest not bothering with tiny PD errors, but nevertheless scan games with tight scores, if the outcome might have been different because of the bug. After all, everybody was taking the pennant into concern in their game. It is not like we were playing a variant with a slightly different designed tile.

As far, as I can tell, group C is "clean". There was only one game, Rosco vs. zone2, with a PD of 2 (which might have been tied, if the pennant was scored in-game), and the area with this pennant was not scored at all. Hopefully, the pennant was not assigned by JCZ to the other city, because then it sure might have made a difference in this game. I doubt, that a 3 tile city without pennant scoring 8 points would have been unnoticed by both players, but in this case, it would be even harder to backtrack the games.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 03:10:14 AM »
Each player in the groups A-D had the choice to inform the community during their games - or after their played games - they didn't tell anything during the groups phase A-D - in my opinion: no change of the score now.
If the players in groups E1-E5 find such error - please write it into your game review to your screenshot - then it will come into the x-score lists.

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2016, 03:20:22 AM »
As far, as I can tell, there were no games, which were decided by this tile. (Unless the pennant is assigned to the wrong city segment.) In Group A there was only one game, MrNumbers vs. khalidq, which came that close, and the segment was not occupied there, in Group D, none of the scores came to a 2 point difference at all.

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2016, 06:41:25 AM »
I'm ok with keeping the scores as they are and play the rest of the tournament with the bug. It's relatively minor.

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2016, 01:15:38 PM »
My opinion is to leave group stage as it is, but to play the rest of the tournament manually correcting the score, the same way we did for fairy bug in P&D League.
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline khalidqasrawi

• Duke
  • Merit: 9
  • Never deplete - always complete
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2016, 03:15:33 PM »
E2 Group Game
khalidqasrawi :red-meeple: 92 : 79  :blue-meeple: danisthirty

Tight game that I felt to be losing nearly up to the end.

It was one of those starts when 20 moves in, you wonder how you are so far behind and why you're fighting pointlessly to glom a monstrous city.
All through the middle game there didn't seem to be much clear strategy, at least on my side.  The farmers were frequently subject to Tower Power.  My first piece of luck was getting the tower CCCC tile which allowed me to claim a little of the larger city.  The rest of that city was wasted.  Whilst Dan was working the east farm situation I opportunistically grabbed the north west.  I was able to turn that into the largest farm with the tiles I turned.  The game was mine.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2016, 03:24:03 PM »
Thanks for the game and the write-up khalidqasrawi! :) :(y)

There isn't much I can add. It was a close game throughout, and although I started to build a slight lead from the midway point, khalid drew that tile and grabbed a significantly-sized city to put us equal again with about 20 tiles to go...

The towers were a pain for grabbing my farmers but it works both ways I suppose and I was able to nab a few of khalid's meeples too. Overall though, as enjoyable as the game was, I definitely felt like I'd lost to the player rather than the tiles. He always had a strategy and every tile placement had a purpose. Compared to my randomly grabbing whatever was available each time, he definitely deserved the win.

Congrats khalid!

Offline ny1050220

• Marquis
  • Merit: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2016, 04:08:47 PM »
I notice that the cccc tile with a tower is in a finished city. Did you guys remember whether the pennant was properly scored?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
What if a player draws a tower tile but they don't have any more tower floors?

Started by carca82

5 Replies
Last post September 27, 2022, 01:12:49 AM
by Bumsakalaka
clip
Princess & Dragon League: Groups D1 - D9

Started by kettlefish

127 Replies
Last post May 09, 2016, 05:27:43 AM
by danisthirty
xx
Abbey & Mayor League: Groups D1 - D7

Started by danisthirty

98 Replies
Last post July 17, 2015, 01:04:31 AM
by danisthirty
xx
Inns & Cathedrals League: Groups D1 - D7

Started by kettlefish

109 Replies
Last post May 04, 2015, 04:27:27 PM
by kettlefish
xx
Expansion League #5: The Tower - SIGN UP HERE!

Started by danisthirty

54 Replies
Last post June 17, 2016, 04:31:06 PM
by danisthirty