Author Topic: Some questions about the Gingerbread Man  (Read 3479 times)

Offline emanuele

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
Some questions about the Gingerbread Man
« on: April 21, 2015, 12:25:44 AM »
Hello,

I'm Emanuele, a new user, a long time lurker :)

Last Christmas I bought the Gingerbread Man expansion (HiG was so kind to send me also some candies ;D) but after reading and re-reading the rules I still have some doubts. I know, it's not an expansion people talk about a lot and it's a mini-expansion, so what's wrong? Well...
  • If you complete the city where the GM currently rests with a GM tile, how many times do you move the Man?
  • Do players get points if the Man does not move (because the only incomplete city is the one he's currently in)?
I think that the GM move once and you don't get points if the GM doesn't move, but who knows? I could be wrong :)

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1698.0

Offline Fritz_Spinne

• Authors
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
Re: Some questions about the Gingerbread Man
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 01:30:43 AM »
Tricky first question!

Reading the rules and the W-CAR there is no hint for the problem. The rules say: score after your turn and move the GM if you draw a GM tile. They also say: Score and move the GM before scoring the GM city.

A possible solution could be:
1. Draw a GM tile and close a GM city.
2. Place a Follower on another feature of the tile, if you want.
3. Make a GM scoring and move the GM to a not yet completed city.
4. Score the city.
5. Make a GM scoring for the new GM city and move the GM to another incomplete city.
I don't see any other solution.

If there is no other incomplete city and you can't move the GM there will be no GM scoring in this GM city at this time, but hopefully with the next GM tile or when completing the GM city.

If you complete the city and there is no other incomplete city you make a GM scoring and move the GM next to the game board.

I think the rules are written to prevent a GM scoring twice in the same city based on not moving the GM. Of course you could place the GM again in the same city and get the GM scoring ...

Offline emanuele

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 05:22:25 AM »
Thanks for you reply!

Your reading is one of the two between which I "danced" since I bought the Gingerbread Man expansion; it's the most literal interpretation of the rules, but I feel it's a bit too generous and I wonder if it's in the "spirit" of the rules (yes, generosity is higher during festivities but this is Carcassonne, not a game where you stumble onto points at every step >:D).

I guess I'll play it this way, until further notice, hoping that these two scenarios don't appear too often ;D

Offline obervet

• Authors
  • Count
  • Merit: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 01:22:31 PM »
I think Fritz_Spinne is correct with his interpretation, although I admit that I hadn't been playing situation 1 that way. It seems that the two movement times are different -- when a city is completed, GM is moved before scoring, and when a gingerbread tile is placed, the GM is moved at the end of the turn. Thus, if both of these things happen, GM will end up moving twice. Hello ridiculous point totals.

It doesn't help that the Order of Play in the current W-CAR is incomplete. My bad. I have added the appropriate steps to the Order of Play for the upcoming version.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Gingerbread Man in Final Scoring

Started by danisthirty

8 Replies
Last post August 29, 2013, 07:26:58 AM
by wicke
xx
W/E Box is Missing the Gingerbread Man

Started by Paul

9 Replies
Last post August 07, 2015, 10:16:35 AM
by jungleboy
xx
[WTB] Gingerbread Man figure

Started by Meepledrone

3 Replies
Last post October 23, 2019, 02:44:39 PM
by Sinscerly
xx
WTB Gingerbread Man LebD

Started by gamgeefan2

8 Replies
Last post June 02, 2021, 04:28:55 PM
by gamgeefan2
xx
How can I get The Gingerbread Man mini expansion?

Started by InTheDark

11 Replies
Last post February 22, 2018, 05:09:41 AM
by Halfling