Author Topic: Priority: Need Links to New CAR  (Read 30190 times)

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
Priority: Need Links to New CAR
« on: February 13, 2013, 09:13:29 AM »
Title says it all. We need to get links to the new version of the Carcassonne CAR up and easily accessible. I can't even find them. Also, we need to get the new edition uploaded to BoardGameGeek. If Matt Harper is still contactable, perhaps he'd be willing to at least continue updating the file on BGG so we can keep the 214+ thumbs the file already has. Otherwise, we should probably ask him to put a notice on his file to go to the currently updated copy.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=56.0

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
Re: Priority: Need Links to New CAR
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 09:21:31 AM »
We have the newest S-CAR v6.2 and also the W-CAR v1.0.
Obervet03 has uploaded this at mediafire.
What I know, Scott has done a link to the newest CAR.
You can find the CAR in the Download section.

Also at BGG is the newest CAR the summer and the winter CAR.
Obervet03 did this weeks ago:
You can find both documents of the CAR at the follow links:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/895896/carcassonne-completely-annotated-rules

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/896320/carcassonne-completely-annotated-rules

If you mean the FAQ from Matt Harper at:
http://carc.mjharper.de/

I wrote to mjharper already some emails.
He has to change the link from his side to the new forum.
But I didn't know if he is available at the moment.
The university has holiday.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 09:31:05 AM by kettlefish »

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 09:37:03 AM »
It would be handy for the entire community if there was a link perhaps on the menu bar...for quick access at any time.
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 114
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 10:12:25 AM »
I think a few different strategies are worthwhile. The more exposure, the better. Sticky thread in the rules forum will be a good start. I'm also going to add a block on the home page. Gotta wait until after work though.

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 10:24:27 AM »
Agreed. I feel the CAR is the lifeblood of the site and the thing Hans im Glück respects most about our group. But getting the current edition in the Files Section at BGG is a must for visibility and for those who don't troll old forums. Perhaps it's time to upload the document as its own instead of using Matt Harper's well-thumbed file. His file has been neglected for years on there, so perhaps it's just time to move on.

In any case, I give two thumbs up to the idea of adding a menu bar link and a sticky link in this forum (just like we had before).

Offline danielbrie

• Villein
  • Merit: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 04:48:59 PM »
Hello. I don't know if there is something that I can help with in the process of posting and updating the CAR rules.
Nevertheless I noticed that the front cover (first page) doesn't have all the box covers from the series and since some are just released with Spielbox only, there are only some tiles as image. I think that since this is a rule booklet in English, we should try to include all the Rio Grande versions and only include the Spielbox expansions, since they are exclusive. again, we should detail the collection as much as possible (for example: include all the expansion in "Graf, König und Konsorten" since all, are published by Rio Grande). Just a suggestion...
I already created another front page for this rulebook and I'll add a link here: http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/584/frontaw.jpg. Maybe some will find that good. It includes all, and every detailed expansion regarding Carcassonne.

:meeple:

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 04:52:32 PM »
I wasn't a huge fan of the new cover either, but I don't find yours much better. And I dislike your perspective on CK&C. It was technically included in Big Box (3?) under the English version of its name and Z-Man Games will likely be releasing it as a box expansion rather than individual minis. Also, I prefer there to be some form of a background for the rules. Yours is a bit...minimalist.

Offline danielbrie

• Villein
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 05:04:00 PM »
No problem, sir.
I have the original project of this page and can do any modification as such adding background or moving covers around. I just wanted to show in detail all the expansions. I am willing to help.
BTW, have you noticed the hidef covers depicted there?

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 05:46:07 PM »
English box covers are better, if they exist, but I dislike the phrase "we should try to include all the Rio Grande versions". We need to include every expansion that has been released, regardless of who released it. We're not providing a compilation of the English rules, we're providing an annotated English translation of the original German rules. I wish Jay at Rio Grande all the best, but Z-Man Games is the publisher now and our contact with them is much better than it was with Jay.

I agree with whaleyland; although yours is more complete, it feels unfinished. I like the background on the current one.

Offline danielbrie

• Villein
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 05:43:00 AM »
OK. Understood. I can add the original background (from the actual CAS) but you pointed out that a cover must be provided for "every expansion that has been released".
I could do that but what to add? There are so many combinations packed individually and as a combo, there are many languages editions too.
My common sense, as Carcassonne completist, was to show all the complete Carcassonne collection in the smallest detail, avoiding duplicates. I think that for a person who searches to have every expansion (and have the best version of it) is very important to know what to choose.
Just my two cents...

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 06:12:39 AM »
My intention was not to suggest having duplicates. Although things have been released more than once in several combinations, I don't consider them to be separate/different.

Offline danielbrie

• Villein
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 08:04:35 AM »
Also, I prefer there to be some form of a background for the rules. Yours is a bit...minimalist.
I agree with whaleyland; although yours is more complete, it feels unfinished. I like the background on the current one.
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/4071/frontwbg.jpg
Awaiting suggestion as what or where to add or delete.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 08:08:20 AM by danielbrie »

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 08:49:45 AM »
It's funny Scott likes that background because makes me think of a Magic Eye. In any case, it's better than nothing. Maybe a thin border of some sort would complete it. In any case, it looks better. I'd still like to see Count, King & Cult included, in German for now with it swapped for the Z-Man version when it releases eventually. I guess since Corn Circles, Tunnel & Plague got cancelled, we can't include that art. A shame, really... Anyway, yup, it looks better. Add the missing box and I'll be content for now.

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 10:15:04 AM »
Maybe it IS a Magic Eye and I saw something you didn't... J/k, but it would be neat if it was.

I was thinking this morning maybe it is possible to modify the box image for CK&C to make it English. I have the font. I also thought about making box images for those that didn't come in a box. Going to investigate this after work.

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 10:22:00 AM »
Shouldn't we include the 10th Anniversary meeple shaped box? Wasn't that the actual release packaging for the 10th Anniversary tile expansion? Or am I off on that one?

What about the Meeple stickers - are we discounting them? They did come through Speilbox but I suppose they are not an actual expansion.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
CAR links on Carcassonne Central home page out of date

Started by CarcinFool

13 Replies
Last post August 26, 2015, 12:16:48 PM
by rfielder
xx
Forum links

Started by Rosco

11 Replies
Last post May 16, 2015, 09:42:34 AM
by loki
xx
WikiCarpedia - Shorter links - Change default mediawiki from index.php to ...

Started by Bumsakalaka

7 Replies
Last post June 17, 2023, 04:03:21 AM
by Bumsakalaka
xx
Web Links & Resources for Board Games

Started by Bixby

2 Replies
Last post June 07, 2014, 12:33:58 PM
by Bixby
xx
Suggestion on new version of CAR - descriptions about the real places/buildings