Linked Events

• UK Carcassonne Championship 2015: May 31, 2015

Author Topic: UK Carcassonne Championship 2015 at UK Games Expo  (Read 63538 times)

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
Re: UK Carcassonne Championship 2015 at UK Games Expo
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2015, 05:55:11 AM »
Here is the link to the photo album at CarcF gallery - UK expo:
http://carcassonne-forum.de/gallery/album.php?album_id=176:

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 31, 2015, 10:03:31 AM »
some more information from Udo Schmitz by email:

Quote from: 'Udo - by email - translation into English'
danisthirty has made it to the semifinals. But he lost the game in the semifinal.
Now he is playing for the 3rd place.
I had to leave the tournament before the game ends - I am now on the way to the airport.
Udo
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 10:05:10 AM by kettlefish »

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2015, 12:26:54 PM »
Wow, well done Dan!

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2015, 12:27:58 PM »
Just got back, home - I won't win any awards for keeping you posted with the days events - That goes to Udo and kettlefish!

But I can say it was a Carcassonne Central took all three places........

....at meeple stacking event.

My wife / Ross and Dan both took first place and won themselves some Castle Tiles.

I think we peaked too soon - The tournament was not so good for us.

I'll let the others describe their experiences - I'll summarize my games now:

I lost my first game, unable to join a 21 point farm - but only 10-15 separated last to first place.

The second game I fared much better - I won the game, mainly because cidervampire was unable to finish the city in the middle; and some sneaky farming.

The third game, the fourth participant turned up 20 minutes late and thus disqualified.  I drew some terrible tiles during the game, and didn't put them to good use.  I drew second place scoring only 45 points - 1st had a dynamic game I don't think they broke 60.

The final round I made it to table 7 - Which was great because someone with the same name as me was on table 8 - so at least I beat him ;)  A really fun last round and much more relaxed. Again our fourth player didn't turn up to place. I seemed to draw round tiles for about 60% of the game but drew - I lacked cities during the game, but another sneaky farm for 6 and a cloister on the last tile resulted in ANOTHER draw but first first place, I think we both scored 63.  This was also the only game with a discard rrrr during the game.

Also no photos during the last two rounds, I forgot to ask and my players tidied up way too quickly.

Not sure on my final position - no doubt it will be presented online soon; but I enjoyed all the games with everyone and they were all very different!  Given there were 6 tables above me, I must have been around 25th.

In the morning we got to see prototypes for this + next years carcassonne - Udo Schmitz gave a great presentation (even better considering it was the first time he gave a presentation in English!!!!).

For those interested:Dan, Ross, Geoff, my wife and I presented Udo with two copies of the fan-expansion we had been working on as a memento and gift for KJW, who may come next year.  One set was given to every Carcassonne Central attendee!

------------

Carcassonne Central Crew 2015: Me - Geoff - Dan and Ross:

I'll sign off now and let the other regale their triumphs!

Edit:  Forgot to say, Udo gave many gifts to all the participants at the tournaments (or at least those who stayed for the final round).

Big thank you to Udo coming all the way to visit and see how the tournament was run - it made a big difference having him here.  I was a shame more people didn't make the workshop  in the morning, perhaps 9am was a little early for some, as there were around 50 in the tournament.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 12:57:58 PM by Decar »

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2015, 01:50:30 PM »
I will give a very brief round up too.  The tournament format was a little strange as there were three initial rounds with four player games.   In these games 1st place got 4 points,  2nd 2 points and 3 rd 1 point with fourth place not scoring. This want too bad however a draw resulted in less points. 

In my first game cider vampire and I were on a table with 2 relative novices and we a actually drew first place for 3 points each.  The last or second to last tile was what prevented me from a clear win but that's carcassonne!

Game 2 started off interestingly with one of my opponents demanding a judges ruling on whether he was allowed to pre -draw his tiles - he was ruled against so he was in a huff for the rest of the game.  It was quite funny really.  I fought hard and all through this game I got terrible tiles with the winner constantly getting everything he needed.  I ended up second by just a couple of points and again the last tile scuppered me.   I don't feel so bad since the winner actually came second in the whole tournament.

My third game was a lot more friendly and relaxed and it was fun.   All through I was trailing behind but knew it would be close in the final count - unbelievably again it was the final tile that changed the outcome from what could have been.   My opponent got a tile which would give her the same points in whichever of the 2 positions possible but one didn't add points to anyone else and the other added 3 to the eventual winner and 12 to me which would have secured me the win.   Unfortunately she chose the wrong option!  I came second again.

I ended up on table 4 and played a nice 3 player game and again came second to finish in about 13th place.  It was fun and it was amazing to hear about all the top secret plans from Udo.  Udo was very generous with gifts and very friendly.  I had a great time and have come away with some new family games.

Here are a couple of photos.

It was also fun playing meeple stacking and winning!

I was good to see a few forum members in the flesh and I want to say thank you to decar for the great fan expansion,  and to both decar and Dan for providing gifts for Udo and Klaus-Jurgen and saying that they were from the forum.   

A great day. 
Just lay the damn tile!

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2015, 01:59:55 PM »
Hi Rosco - I see the Windroses I - nice that Udo still had some pieces for the CarcC members at the UK expo. The "Spiel 14" tile and the "Castles in Germany"...
Rosco your profile needs an update.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 02:03:14 PM by kettlefish »

Offline Benny

• Freeman
  • Merit: 5
  • Hej!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2015, 02:40:49 PM »
Thanks to Decar and Rosco for their reports and the nice pics  :)
Seems that you had a lot of fun and Udo was generous as always  ;)

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2015, 02:44:20 PM »
the next update from Udo - this time he is in Germany but still not at home...

Udo forwarded a message to me - from Scott Moore - Halesowen Boardgamers:
Quote from: 'Scott More - Halesowen Boardgamers - by email to Udo'
Hello Udo,

I was glad to meet you during the UK Games Expo this weekend. Thank you for bringing copies of the game to use during the tournament - they really were needed! And thank you for bringing the prizes and gifts for the tournament participants - these were very much appreciated.

Lets keep in touch regarding planning for the UK Carcassonne Championship 2016.   

Here are the results of the Carcassonne Championship 2015 semi-finals and finals:

Semi Final 1
James Cook 115
Lim Ven Gee 113

Semi Final 2
John Stroud 141
Dan Chard 117

Final
James Cook 102
John Stroud 93

3rd Place Play-off
Lim Ven Gee 86
Dan Chard  60

So the overall positions are:
Winner: James Cook
2nd: John Stroud
3rd: Lim Ven Gee
4th: Dan Chard

Regards,
Scott Moore
Halesowen Boardgamers
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 02:46:23 PM by kettlefish »

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2015, 02:51:31 PM »
Lim was the winner of my first game. He played very well and monopolized his early double farming farm.... I wont forgive him for trapping my farmer though :( my last attempt at salvaging the game.

Dan did receive a great conciliation prize from me and Rosco though.  But unfortunately we forgot to make him wear it for the photo!

Edit:
Just realised Dan can take a new name of: DanWasFourthy!

Well done Dan!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 03:03:37 PM by Decar »

Offline cidervampire

• Vassal
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2015, 03:12:15 PM »
I had a great time and managed to play in games against all of the chaps from the forum. Looking forward to next year. Loved getting a Dan meeple!

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2015, 03:15:42 PM »
I had a great time and managed to play in games against all of the chaps from the forum. Looking forward to next year. Loved getting a Dan meeple!
The Danisthirty Meeple is very nice.

Cidervampire, did you also get some surprisings from Udo?

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2015, 03:22:04 PM »
Wow! What a day!

Firstly was the Carcassonne seminar with Udo. I met Tom (Decar) and his wife, Ross (Rosco) and Geoff (cidervampire) outside the room about 10 minutes before the talk began. I was in a bit of a daze at the time but fortunately they recognised me and we all had a good chat beforehand.

Udo's seminar was great, and I especially enjoyed seeing the new game prototypes afterwards. Even the Star Wars one.  :o There then followed a meeple-stacking competition which members of Carcassonne Central (or their wives) did especially well at with 3 of us winning our head-to-head races and winning cool prizes for our efforts.  :(y)

Next we had a short trip around one of the trade halls and met the couple behind Basically Wooden. They were even more awesome than their products and we chatted with them for a while and left them some of our Carcassonne Central business cards to give out to people before heading to the room next door for the Carcassonne tournament.

The first game of the tournament went very well for me. There were two reasonably big cities completed which three of us shared on both occasions but only two of us were in both cities. I drew more than my fair share of cloisters which I made the most of and ensured that one of the other players (my closest rival) didn't get a share in the main farm too. A few small cities and a couple of roads all helped to ensure my victory with a final score of over 100 which felt like pretty good going for a 4-player game.

(Blue for the win = me!)

My next game wasn't so good. It was a very scrappy game and even though I had an equal share in the big city, I never seemed to be able to do very much with what I drew. Black played outstandingly well and seemed to have a never-ending supply of meeples as she was able to claim everything! She also had a lot of farmers down, and their value grew rapidly throughout the game. I struggled to get into this one, and ended up coming third which put an end to my hopes of finishing in the top four.  :blue-meeple: :(n)

(someone else took Blue so I was on the back foot before this game had even begun by being Red)

Then I went with Tom and his wife (whose name I've forgotten, sorry  :(), and Rosco to get some lunch. We didn't have long, but just enough time to get a chilli dog from one of the food vans. Then, back to the hall for our final games.

My round 3 game ended up going much better for me than I expected. The main feature of interest from the start of the game was a city that seemed to grow as more people tried to glom into it and then contract as they were then cut out! I was quite late to the party but managed to get 2 knights poised on the outskirts of the city, ready to join it. The city was never completed as Geoff (cidervampire) had been a little ambitious in his plans to take all the points for himself and this required him drawing the cccc tile to get his 3rd knight in. Another player drew it and it didn't go where he wanted, but his placement of a cccf tile joined my 2 knights into the city winning us 14 points each in the final scoring. Elsewhere, another player was surprisingly generous when he completed a 12 or 14-point city for me purely so that he could get the extra 3 points for his farmers. I'm not sure I would have won the game if not for this, but he certainly looked like he knew what he was doing at the time and I certainly wasn't going to stop him!

(my Dan meeples beat the Star Wars guys, the monkeys and the ducklings)

I'd already convinced myself that I'd need 3 wins to qualify for a seat at the top table so I wasn't even listening as the names were being called out and was amazed and delighted in equal measure when Tom and Ross excitedly called me away from a conversation I was having with one of the other players! I hadn't been expecting this at all...  8)

So, I was now just 2 head-to-head games away from winning the overall competition. I was quietly confident that I could at least win a place in the final but unfortunately things didn't go my way. I don't think I played an especially bad game at all, but it felt like one of those games where I just couldn't do anything right. For one thing, my opponent drew all but one of the cloisters (which he claimed and in most cases completed). And for another, he drew exactly what he needed to escape every time I tried to trap him somewhere!  >:( Since I couldn't use any of my normal tricks to slow him down, and since he continued to complete his own features all the time, I gradually slipped behind and when my last ditch attempt to win the main farm outright failed (he drew the tile I needed to join it) I knew that I had no chance of catching up and lost by something like 25 points (and forgot to take a photo):(

I played my next game out of respect for my opponent, but neither of us were especially fussed about it as we were playing for third/ fourth overall (i.e. we'd both already lost). This game didn't go very well for me either, although I felt that my opponent was a lot stronger than my previous opponent as he had a much better idea of what I was trying to do and blocked me very well. My biggest mistake in this game was ending up with 2 meeples trapped on the same road as I couldn't generate enough points to stay in the game with what I had left. At one point I had a good chance of getting back into the game if I could have drawn one of the two remaining cccr tiles but unfortunately my opponent drew both of them. Meanwhile, he continued to draw exactly what he needed to generate 4 - 8 points every 2 or 3 turns with his one remaining meeple while I sat there twiddling my thumbs. I won both farms outright for a total of 21 points but this wasn't enough to close the gap significantly and he won by around 25 - 30 points I think.

(2 farms and a long road not enough to make up for another bad game by me playing as Blue again)

However, regardless of the fact that I really messed up an outstanding opportunity to win the competition (something I doubt whether I'll ever be in the position to be able to do so again) it was still a fantastic day and I went home feeling satisfied with having come fourth. Maybe next year I can do better. Maybe not. We'll see.

Meeting Udo and receiving all the various gifts from him was awesome, and getting to spend time with Tom, Ross and Geoff was fantastic! It felt like we'd known each other for years and I loved being part of our little Carcassonne Central crew; there was a real sense of camaraderie between us as we made our way around the expo and chatted with other fans of Carcassonne, handing out our business cards and Dan meeples to anyone who showed a passing business. Guys, I really can't emphasis enough how much I enjoyed your company and support today, and I can't wait to do it again next year! You rock!  :(y) :(y) :(y)

(various wonderful goodies that I brought back from the expo with me, mostly gifts from Udo and Tom; thanks so much guys!)

(knowing how much I love Star Wars, Tom/ Ross/ Geoff [I'm not sure who's predominantly to blame] bought me this memento to help console me after losing both of my head-to-head games)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 11:05:01 AM by danisthirty »

Offline loki

• Duke
  • Merit: 7
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2015, 03:31:08 PM »
were there any announcements regarding expansions to the Carcassonne game?

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2015, 04:15:38 PM »
Thanks for your reports Decar and Rosco! Especially the photos; seems like it was just yesterday...  :)

Thanks also for my "lovely" t-shirt (will post pics tomorrow). I'm sure I'll wear it one day. Maybe.

Wow, well done Dan!

Thanks JB!

Well done Dan!

Thanks!  :)

Glad you liked it! Looking forward to next year already...

The Danisthirty Meeple is very nice.

Glad you liked yours too kettlefish!

were there any announcements regarding expansions to the Carcassonne game?

Yes, but I don't think Udo was 100% certain on anything. Unless I'm mistaken though, it seems that the existing major expansions (old artwork) will be re-released in the new artwork.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2015, 08:04:50 PM »
Thanks for all the great reports guys. I'll try to come next year if I can.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
question
What games did you enjoy at UK games expo (or other games convention)?

Started by asparagus

4 Replies
Last post June 09, 2016, 02:27:25 AM
by asparagus
xx
Patron Saint Tiles - UK Games Expo 2015

Started by Decar

2 Replies
Last post October 25, 2015, 11:40:10 AM
by Decar
xx
Carcassonne in UK Games Expo Magazine

Started by kettlefish

16 Replies
Last post October 25, 2015, 01:49:54 PM
by Decar
question
"Mega Carcassonne" at the 2016 UK Games Expo (maybe)

Started by danisthirty

101 Replies
Last post June 19, 2016, 11:07:45 AM
by Decar
thumbup
UK Games Expo 2016

Started by asparagus

0 Replies
Last post June 08, 2015, 12:20:06 PM
by asparagus