Author Topic: Carcassonne - new Edition - Is that true?  (Read 134250 times)

Offline cidervampire

• Vassal
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Carcassonne - new Edition - Is that true?
« Reply #210 on: October 20, 2014, 03:41:51 PM »
I can't read German but I couldn't see any diagrams showing farmers in the rules. Are they getting rid of farmers?

Gerry

« Reply #211 on: October 20, 2014, 05:48:34 PM »
I've come to the conclusion that I'm glad that there is a new addition that is different.  That means that the end is in sight and I can stop when the first edition is done.

Maybe I have not been paying attention but has anything official been stated in the past few days regarding  HiG going forward with the old or new tile designs for expansions?

Offline Fritz_Spinne

• Authors
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 20, 2014, 09:38:17 PM »
I can't read German but I couldn't see any diagrams showing farmers in the rules. Are they getting rid of farmers?
They have the farmers in the final scoring, pointing to the next pages. On the "Beiblatt" there are the farmer rules, the river and the new abbot mini expansion. Feels like the farmers are an expansion ...

Offline mas9dj

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 7
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 22, 2014, 05:05:19 AM »
They have the farmers in the final scoring, pointing to the next pages. On the "Beiblatt" there are the farmer rules, the river and the new abbot mini expansion. Feels like the farmers are an expansion ...

I recall someone mentioning that they'd make like a basic set of rules where farms are not included and then making an advanced version with farms. This way people new to the game would have it easier to get the handle of it, and once they know how to play, they add farms into the mix. Though I'm not 100% sure where I read this.
Gotta catch 'em all

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 22, 2014, 05:34:07 AM »
A "No Fields" mode already exists in Carcassonne iOS. Just score cities, roads & monasteries and farmer placement is disabled. Indeed good for children or people discovering the game for the first time.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 22, 2014, 05:34:33 AM »
I recall someone mentioning that they'd make like a basic set of rules where farms are not included and then making an advanced version with farms. This way people new to the game would have it easier to get the handle of it, and once they know how to play, they add farms into the mix. Though I'm not 100% sure where I read this.

Seems like a good idea. Whenever I'm playing Carcassonne with anyone who hasn't already played it it's often a lot easier to leave them out at first, then introduce them after a couple of games.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #216 on: October 22, 2014, 05:47:16 AM »

Seems like a good idea. Whenever I'm playing Carcassonne with anyone who hasn't already played it it's often a lot easier to leave them out at first, then introduce them after a couple of games.

I can verify this exist in Big Box 5. Every section of the rulebook where farmers are mentioned has this info with a yellow (  :meeple: ) background where it's written that you recommend playing without farmers when playing with beginners.
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline Tacita

• La folia!
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 18
  • The last cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 02, 2014, 04:11:17 PM »
Moritz Brunnhofer from HiG will answer himself here at CarcC.

But he need some time to translate it in the correct form.

Please wait.
Six weeks and counting.
"We do not want to make someone buy a whole set just to get a few new cards. We like our fans!" - Donald X Vaccarino

Link

Offline Deonza

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 1
    • View Profile
Carcassonne 2.0
« Reply #218 on: November 17, 2014, 11:32:39 PM »
Carcassonne 2.0 releases in December, so my question is...

Do you buy the new edition and add it to your game or do you buy and play as standalone..?

Lets discuss...

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 40
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
Re: Carcassonne 2.0
« Reply #219 on: November 17, 2014, 11:37:39 PM »
Most of us see it as a standalone with the abbot expansion and the spiel 14 tile.
Ofc you can add phatom too..

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Re: Carcassonne 2.0
« Reply #220 on: November 18, 2014, 02:20:27 AM »
Hi Deonza!

The question of how the new version of the Carcassonne base game is going to be treated has been discussed fairly extensively here: Carcassonne - new Edition - Is that true?

My personal opinion is that whilst I do quite like it, I will probably treat it as a stand alone game in the same way as I do the Winter edition. It doesn't look too bad if you mix the different art styles (see here for examples: First game with new artwork) so I guess you could still play it combined with expansions in the old artwork if you wanted to.

Dan

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 03, 2014, 11:04:41 AM »
Finally we have the statement.

HiG and Zman games decided to make one at the homepage from zman games.

The text has the same basis like the German text from Moritz Brunnhofer (HiG) at the Carcassonne-Forum (CarcF).

Here is the link to the statement:
Carcassonne New Edition FAQ

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #222 on: December 03, 2014, 11:38:34 AM »
My biggest problem with the new edition has always been the incompatibility of the new and old tiles and the fact that the publishers didn't seem to recognise this or realise that it would be an issue for many people. And that has continued with this statement:

The front of the tiles has a different style, but as you can see on these pictures, the mix of “old” and “new” is 100% playable.

I would say it is far less than 100% playable. Of course, this is just my opinion and others may see it differently. I remember Yellow saying he wouldn't mind mixing the tiles, so maybe it's just me :)

Anyway, for now I am happy with the old edition.

Gerry

« Reply #223 on: December 03, 2014, 12:03:51 PM »
When working on the artwork for a user expansion, I keep trying to get a closer match on the shade of green I use for the fields while still trying to keep the city colours in sync as well – I guess this is not an issue for the new edition.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #224 on: December 03, 2014, 01:05:06 PM »
They are compatible, to some degree.

What strikes me odd is people never had trouble with the various releases before. Some examples:

The Plague. Tiles are WAY thicker than the tiles from the base game and stands out easily. Sure, shuffle bag, but some of us don't use them.

Big Box 4 and 5. These tiles have a very different shade of green. It's a clear difference and stands out when looking at the big board.

From the image posted somewhere by danisthirty where you can see V1 and V2 of Carcassonne base game, these seems to fit better than Big Box 4 or 5 with the old base game.

In the end, though, it's a matter of choice. I for one will not buy the new version same reason I am not getting Half's, GQ11 etc. I got enough for a variety game options, far more than able to implement with friends in the long run!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
6th expansion Count, King and Robber (German edition) for new edition is on sale

Started by ozgurceylan

24 Replies
Last post July 17, 2017, 08:27:58 AM
by Just a Bill
xx
Carcassonne first edition?? Is it first edition?

Started by JoeSesquipedalian

10 Replies
Last post May 28, 2016, 01:07:24 PM
by Halfling
xx
WTB: Carcassonne Limited Edition and Limited Edition Die Märkte zu Leipzig

Started by Frans0

0 Replies
Last post February 12, 2022, 09:13:14 AM
by Frans0
xx
Images of box fronts of new Carcassonne edition