Author Topic: Where to find decent resolution images of original tilesets? (Base game and exp)  (Read 1780 times)

Offline GPWR

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Greetings.

I'd like to know whether anyone has ever taken the time to scan all the Carcassonne tiles from the base set and expansions and publish the images on the open web. I would prefer the original artwork, but the new version would certainly also do if that's all that is available.

Thank you in advance, and God bless.

P.S. Feel free to reply in English, French, Spanish or German.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=6291.0

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 114
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
Many of us have done scans of the tiles, and you would need to do your own too because copyright law prohibits us from sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline GPWR

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
Many of us have done scans of the tiles, and you would need to do your own too because copyright law prohibits us from sharing.

Thank you for your response, I appreciate it. That makes sense.

On a side note, since you seem to be familiar with Carcassonne's copyright, to a certain extent, would creating a virtual board game of Carcassonne and making it available on the internet infringe copyright laws? That's what I needed the scans for.

Obviously, using the original images in my game is not allowed, given the information you provided me with, but how about using drastically modified images (e.g. pixel art style and different colours)?

Thanks again, and God bless you.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 07:03:53 PM by GPWR, Reason: clarification »

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
Using original artwork would be best.

There are already several implementations of Carcassonne, so reinventing the wheel isn’t necessary unless you’re doing it for the experience. BoardGameArena is the most popular, followed by TableTopSimulator and JCloisterZone. There are others as well.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 01:00:44 AM by Scott »

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
The links at the bottom of the following page let you download a basic game tile list with a good quality:

https://deviramericas.com/guia-de-losetas-de-carcassonne/

Let me know if this helps.
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline GPWR

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
Let me know if this helps.

Of course it does! Thank you so much for this. Those are very decent quality images.

Do you know of a similar resource for extensions as well? The reason I can't really scan them all is that I don't own them all, simply. However, I would like to include the most extensions possible in my virtual game, in order to provide an improvement to engines which already exist, but have limited extension selections.

Additionally, scanning my own extension tiles would clash with the new design you provided me with, which is a lot slicker.

Thank you again for your time. I appreciate it.

Offline GPWR

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
BoardGameArena is the most popular, followed by TableTopSimulator and JCloisterZone. There are others as well.

Yeah, I was assuming those big boys had special permission from the publisher, that is, Hans im Glück. Perhaps I was mistaken(?)

Thanks for your answer. I appreciate your time.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 01:01:04 AM by Scott »

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
BGA and TTS are licensed. JCZ is not.

Offline GPWR

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
BGA and TTS are licensed. JCZ is not.

OK, I see. So the free ones aren't licensed. Interesting.

My final product will be free of cost as well, so I guess I'm somewhat safe there.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
Not really true. BGA is also free but you have limitations to create a game. But when you will wait for a short time you still find a open game for you.

Odoslané z SM-A202F pomocou Tapatalku

Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Offline GPWR

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
Not really true. BGA is also free but you have limitations to create a game.

True fact, thank you for bringing that up.

My point, or should I say my "observation", was essentially that anyone generating profit from the product, which includes BGA, should make sure to have authorisation from HiG before proceeding with their business. That was what I was implicating.

My future product will be free, so I feel like licensing it would be unnecessary.

Offline GPWR

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
By the way, I've found an excellent resource, which includes most of the expansion tiles as images: Carcassonne – The Complete Annotated Rules. I was happy about this, because most of the links that promise complete scans on the web are dead. Plus it's the original artwork, which is my favourite, but I know not everyone is fond of it as I am.

Cheers, and thanks to all for your help.

Offline wolnic

• Authors
  • Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 207
  • Ummm and Ahhh! Can't decide!
    • View Profile
Your link was to : https://www.goblins.net/files/downloads/S-CAR_v6.4.pdf

You'll find the 7.4 version of the S-CAR here, at

https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=292

but that has been superseded by WikiCarpedia, which started out as an online version of that version of S-CAR, and has been updated extensively since.

AutumnForest (C2), Catch Of The Day (C1/2/WD), Cliffs&W'falls (C1/2), Coast (C1/2), FishHuts (C2), Fluvium (C2), NewForest (C2), Harvest (C1/2), Stone Circles (C1/2), Wells (C2), Jordan River 2 (AotC), River I/II (GR)
Devt: Sakura (C2), WinterEdge (C1), WinterCoast (WD/WE) and others

Offline GPWR

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
Your link was to : https://www.goblins.net/files/downloads/S-CAR_v6.4.pdf

You'll find the 7.4 version of the S-CAR here, at

https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=292

Thanks, I appreciate that! I didn't know there was a more recent version.

but that has been superseded by WikiCarpedia, which started out as an online version of that version of S-CAR, and has been updated extensively since.

I looked over WikiCarpedia, but they don't seem to provide images of the complete tile sets, or even provide lists of included pieces. That is, unless I am missing on something.

Thanks again for the link. God bless you.

Offline wolnic

• Authors
  • Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 207
  • Ummm and Ahhh! Can't decide!
    • View Profile
All the tiles are included on WikiCarpedia, but we took the decision at the start to only include smallish-sized images (around 100px) that were large enough for illustrative purposes only.

There's a tool that allows you to show all the tiles by selecting expansion(s) and features - from the Home Page, see Reference Guides / Tile Reference - for First Edition it's at ...

https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Tile_Reference_(1st_edition)

but there are also some "quick" selectors available such as "Select all C1".

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
EPIC: Castles (Exp. 8) and cemeteries (Exp. 11)

Started by NGC 54

13 Replies
Last post December 17, 2022, 08:49:26 AM
by NGC 54
xx
Swap - river 1 unpunched, original base game

Started by Rosco

0 Replies
Last post November 05, 2014, 02:25:47 PM
by Rosco
xx
Original art - full set of 72 base game tiles for sale