Author Topic: Avoiding Analysis Paralysis  (Read 1155 times)

Offline PapaGeek

• Count
  • Merit: 18
  • The box needs a highly addictive warning label
    • View Profile
Avoiding Analysis Paralysis
« on: January 21, 2022, 10:38:29 AM »
The third House Rule on the WikiCarPedia Base Game page says: "Take your next tile at the end of your turn, to give you time to think about placement and avoid analysis paralysis".

https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Base_game#House_rules

As our inclusion of additional expansions grows, we  suffer from analysis paralysis just about every game! 

A question for anyone who follows this house rule, how to you make this house rule interact with the rules for playing a Halfling or Abbey instead of drawing a tile?  The rules for those expansion say that you have to decide on playing the Halfling or Abbey BEFORE you draw your next tile!

Did you just say that playing the alternative tile comes AFTER drawing it, or do you do something else?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=5691.0
Totally addicted to this game

Offline Snearone

• Duke
  • Merit: 126
    • View Profile
Re: Avoiding Analysis Paralysis
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 10:53:55 AM »
When I play in person, there is no other way than drawing a tile right after a placement of previous one.
When there is builder in play, and stack of tiles is running low, we stop doing that, so there is no need of taking back the tile from whoever draw it in advance when it's the last possible tile.
For Abbeys or German Castles we put that tile on hold for next move.
I also recommend trying strategic variant with having 3 tiles on hand and choosing one.
Completed: Robber's Son | Gambler's Luck | Vistas Revisited | First Wells | The Flying Machines 2
WIP: The Occult Tower | Binding Deed | Wandering Preachers | City Gates Rebuilt | New King's Orders

Offline kothmann

• Viscount
  • Merit: 92
  • Oh! That’s interesting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 11:06:57 AM »
For Abbeys or German Castles we put that tile on hold for next move.
We put the tile back in the bag.  This makes the Abbey & GC more valuable because you can use them to get rid of a "bad" tile.

I also recommend trying strategic variant with having 3 tiles on hand and choosing one.
I like the idea of this, too, but we tried it one time and immediately abandoned, because it was paralysis on steroids.

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
  • Merit: 48
    • View Profile
    • Divider cards for C1 & C2 / C3 both in French & English:
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 01:31:58 PM »
You already know how I play this, for every game:  :yellow-meeple:

Here's how we rule it, with some adaptations to prevent conflicts and make it work with mega-carcassonne games :

At the beginning of your turn:
  • Reveal your tile(s) drawn at the end of last turn
  • If you have more than one tile (fortune tellers), choose the one you'll play
  • If the tile contains a dragon icon and no volcano has been placed yet, discard the tile and draw another one
  • If the tile contains a wheel of fortune, peasant revolt, hill or dragon icon, perform the corresponding action now (this is so you can't delay such actions by using special tiles)
  • Play the tile or keep it for the next turn (don't discard it) and use one of your special tiles (halflings, German castles, abbey). In that case, you do not draw a tile at the end of your turn

If the stack is empty at the beginning of your turn:
  • You are not allowed to use a special tile (halflings, German castles, abbeys)
  • If you have a tile drawn during a previous turn, you may play a turn with it, otherwise, you skip your turn
  • The game ends once every players used their tiles drawn from the stack

At the end of your turn:
Once you performed every of your turn's actions, including double and triple turn (message, 20 anniversary, builder, saint-Nicholas):
  • Draw a tile and do not show it to other players
  • Draw one additional tile for each fortune tellers you own
  • If you played one of your special tiles (halflings, German castles, abbeys) and so you already have a tile left in hand (or more if playing with fortune tellers), do not draw any tile, you already have one

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 114
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2022, 01:41:44 PM »
I'm going to preface my answer by saying that I don't use this variant in my games because it prevents the next player from having the opportunity to draw the tile in your hand, though I do understand that all players are equally disadvantaged in this way. One of the oldest variants in the game involved wooden tile holders which saw each player having a hand of three tiles to choose from on each turn. The person who came up with this variant made VERY nice tile holders in the shape of city walls. If I were to play with that variant, I would say that each player would have the choice of playing any of the three tiles in their "hand", OR they could play their Abbey tile. I could also see some people deciding that the Abbey tile takes one of three places in your hand until used.

My answer to your question, therefore, would be that the player could choose to play the tile they drew at the end of their previous turn, OR they could play their Abbey, but I would probably require them to play the tile they drew on their next turn.

Offline PapaGeek

• Count
  • Merit: 18
  • The box needs a highly addictive warning label
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2022, 03:46:49 AM »
Our normal game after 22 river 1 and 2 tiles includes expansions 1 and 2 for a total of 114 tiles.  As the game progresses, the Paralysis grows.  Because some of the backs of some of the non-US expansion are slightly different, we play with each player having a stack of tiles so they can cut their stack randomly in half and drop an unseen tile from the bottom of their cut.

I don’t want anyone to have the opportunity of getting rid of a bad tile, part of the game is the random draw of your next tile.

I like the idea that if they play an Abbey or Halfling, they have to play the drawn tile next turn, but I think I would modify that to say that if they don’t play the tile on the next move, it will cost them 3 points!

Also, if we are playing with 24 Halflings 1 and 2, each player gets 2 Halflings and can draw a replacement when they do play one.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter