Author Topic: 2017 Basegame League - Round 1  (Read 16989 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 Basegame League - Round 1
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2017, 04:03:58 AM »
Good point Jéré :(y)

Perhaps it would be worth taking this opportunity to point out what Elo is to those who might not be as familiar with it? You could link back to our most recent rankings too?

Really impressed to see that 6 of 8 matches took place in the first week of round 1, and it sounds like another is scheduled for a couple of days time. I will send PMs about the final match just to make sure everything it still going according to plan for the others involved... C:-)

Offline Leven

• Viscount
  • Merit: 49
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2017, 08:15:42 AM »
I didn't want to give Merlin extra motivation but, due to Leven winning his 2 games, he had to also win both games to keep the first rank of the Elo ratings: They were tie at 1437! After our games, Merlin lost 7 pts and is now at 1430.
Wow, I wasn't aware that it can happen so early in this league. If I'm not mistaken Merlin_89 was in the 1st position for the whole 2016, but by missing the World Cup at the end of the year he gave others (especially the winner) the chance to narrow the gap.
And Jéré, did you and khalid also swap positions on 3rd-4th place?

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2017, 09:11:28 AM »
Good point Jéré :(y)

Perhaps it would be worth taking this opportunity to point out what Elo is to those who might not be as familiar with it? You could link back to our most recent rankings too?

I wanted to create a dedicated thread a long time ago. Here it is, finally!  <-- Click here.

I didn't want to give Merlin extra motivation but, due to Leven winning his 2 games, he had to also win both games to keep the first rank of the Elo ratings: They were tie at 1437! After our games, Merlin lost 7 pts and is now at 1430.
Wow, I wasn't aware that it can happen so early in this league. If I'm not mistaken Merlin_89 was in the 1st position for the whole 2016, but by missing the World Cup at the end of the year he gave others (especially the winner) the chance to narrow the gap.

Yeah, there is a bit of action going on in the background.  For a reason that I explain here, it is not possible to keep track of all the variations of Elo scores. But when there is something that appears to be interesting enough (like a new leader), I try to mention it!

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2017, 12:43:31 PM »

Yes, I just checked! I'm now 3rd. I will post the ratings after each round so it's coming soon.

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2017, 02:05:13 PM »
MrNumbers vs. Marcos (maedac)
Game 1 - 138:65
Game 2 - 119:70

Thanks for the games, Marcos! My opponent has interesting style of game: I could not guess his next move most of the times, he has different thinking (in a good way). If the first game was mostly peaceful, except farm battle, the second game was all about follower trapping. Golden rule of Carcassonne - if you are short in followers - you score less - you have smaller probability to win.
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2017, 03:08:47 PM »
Thanks for the update MrNumbers, and welcome to the tournament Marcos (maedac); now that you've played MrNumbers you can pretty much relax for the rest of the league! ;) :(y)

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2017, 12:53:50 PM »
Rich_The_Fish v Halfling
Game 1: 117 :red-meeple: v  111 :yellow-meeple:

A very close game, which was nip and tuck the whole time. For the first game, we randomised the start order and Halfling ended up going first. Within a few tiles, he had 2 meeples in cloisters, a farmer and a thief, whilst I managed to grab a quick city using the start tile and small circular road. I gambled and started farming rather heavily to combat Halflings first farmer but got a little carried away and had 5 farmers despite there being about 25 tiles left! Halfling managed to glom into a virtually complete city in the centre of the game, which earned us both 18 points. I was unsuccessful in muscling in to share his road which ran east and then turned north starting and ending at 2 cloisters, as this was terminated with a T junction. I was fortunate to trap a couple of his meeples (the thief was purely by accident as I was focused on completing the city). The battle for overall control of the farm intensified, with Halfling carefully placing farmers to the west which he was able to merge into the main field. In what turned out to be a futile attempt so late in the game, I tried to get a sixth farmer in to get the majority but was unable to do so leaving 5 farmers each. Thanks for the enjoyable game and agreeing to write up the second match.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 01:17:01 PM by Rich_The_Fish, Reason: Added write up »

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2017, 12:56:10 PM »
Halfling vs Rich_The_Fish - Game 2

:yellow-meeple: Halfling 111
 :red-meeple: Rich_The_Fish 75

Pleased to gain a draw after losing the first match.  Trapping 5 meeples at the top was the key to the win.  Pinching the farm gave the win gloss that was perhaps undeserved.

Round 1 finished with 4 days to spare.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 12:59:21 PM by Halfling »
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline Marcos

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2017, 01:07:28 PM »
Thanks for the update MrNumbers, and welcome to the tournament Marcos (maedac); now that you've played MrNumbers you can pretty much relax for the rest of the league! ;) :(y)

Good to hear that!, although too much relaxing will not quite help during the upcoming games.
May the best men win!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2017, 04:56:21 PM »
Wow. Congratulations everyone, and thanks for getting all these games played so quickly! 8)

Here's a recap of how the league table is looking at the end of Round 1:

Without further ado, it's on to Round 2...
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 03:15:33 PM by danisthirty »

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2017, 11:30:30 PM »
I published the new Elo ratings here. We have a new leader!  :(y)

Interesting thing to note: As usual, points one gets are taken from the other player but the format of this league forces the player that has higher Elo to win both games to increase his score! This spices things up in my opinion.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 11:43:55 PM by Jéré »

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Merit: 25
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2017, 01:44:41 AM »
Not sure if it's right and I'm seeing wrong, but please report the games result with the player starting the game first, even if he is the one losing.

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me, Shall be my brother;

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2017, 01:54:31 AM »
Interesting thing to note: As usual, points one gets are taken from the other player but the format of this league forces the player that has higher Elo to win both games to increase his score! This spices things up in my opinion.

I sense an unofficial nickname coming on: The Vindaloo League! ;) :(y)

Not sure if it's right and I'm seeing wrong, but please report the games result with the player starting the game first, even if he is the one losing.

Yes, this would be helpful, although if I get the order of the games played the wrong way round in the database it doesn't matter too much for the score calculation. The most important thing is that the start player for each game is mentioned in the write-up. Although, as long as game screenshots include the status bar on the right side of the screen (where it shows scores and meeples/ wood in hand) then I can see for myself as the starting player is always the player at the top here...

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2017, 02:06:50 AM »

Yes, this would be helpful, although if I get the order of the games played the wrong way round in the database it doesn't matter too much for the score calculation. The most important thing is that the start player for each game is mentioned in the write-up. Although, as long as game screenshots include the status bar on the right side of the screen (where it shows scores and meeples/ wood in hand) then I can see for myself as the starting player is always the player at the top here...

Yes, the info is there. Either in the write-up or the order of the players in the screen capture (right-hand side).

Starting player has won 62,5% of the games (10 out of 16). Let's see if this trend continues in the next rounds.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2017, 02:18:59 AM »
Starting player has won 62,5% of the games (10 out of 16). Let's see if this trend continues in the next rounds.

Shhh! :-X You're stealing my thunder!

Ahem.

62.5% of games were won by the starting player (37.5% of games were won by the player who went 2nd).

A total of 3148 total points were scored across all 16 games.

Also, see attached (it's purple! :violet-meeple:)...

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
2017 Basegame League - Round 9

Started by danisthirty

14 Replies
Last post May 30, 2017, 02:51:06 PM
by danisthirty
xx
2017 Basegame League - Round 11

Started by danisthirty

18 Replies
Last post June 27, 2017, 03:55:08 AM