Author Topic: TableTop day 2016  (Read 3338 times)

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
TableTop day 2016
« on: April 30, 2016, 04:52:05 PM »
After a late evening, I managed to get to the local board game club (where we did our world record game tests) to celebrate TableTop day. I arrived at 9:30 pm, 30 mins before closing but there were still many people there.

I recognized a few faces, 2 of them were at the convention where we held the record.

Also, 4 people were starting a game of Dominion and I was asked to jump in, so naturally I did! Never played it so this was a good opportunity.
  The rules aren't that difficult and we did not play with any expansions (I think :) ). Game lasted longer than anticipated ending at almost half hour past Midnight (from starting roughly a quarter to 10 pm).

I don't remember the final scoring but It's safe to say I came last, with a mere 11 points (after 5 Curse cards calculation x_x). Definately hope to play this again but not something I am going to buy.

The people there are just amazing and cheerful and so easy to talk to. We bonded and I got to know those 6 people that stayed. Afterwards, we closed up the club and took a stroll further down town until it was time to say goodbye.
  We are celebrating Vahlborg here in Sweden, basically our "demonstration day" where most of us get drunk the night before and have demonstration marches the day after (May 1st). :D I didn't drink though, got to be up in a few hours for the football game "today", Sunday morning.

I also became a member at the club and will try to visit more often to play games with them, and hopefully give you guys some more game reviews and session reports (on top of everything else that I am falling behind on. ;) ).

A really great ending for this day. Hope you guys had as great on the England meetup and elsewhere around the globe. Cheers!

Paul

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2689.0
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 04:53:59 PM by Paul »
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
Re: TableTop day 2016
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 07:34:46 PM »
Paul, good report.  We own Dominion, but haven't played it.

Our game store had drawings and winners were receiving copies of Tokaido and SmallWorld.  They also had a big Small World tournament.   We didn't win anything, but tried a few of the games they were demonstrating (Evolution, Crab Stack, and Cappuchino.  Fortunately none of them were to our liking, so my wallet wasn't drained.

Offline CKorfmann

• Authors
  • Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 39
  • Pigs are meeple too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 07:22:52 PM »
My tabletop day was very brief.  I had hoped to log my first play of Twilight Struggle, but my friend had never played and I quickly realized that I was unprepared to explain it, so sadly, it went back in the box.  We ended up playing Alien Frontiers, and I was beaten soundly and without mercy, 6-1.  Fortune was not on my side. 
Flee the fleas.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 01:49:16 AM »
Glad to see others observing International Tabletop Day. I don't know if it was deliberate, but Decar managed to coincide our meetup at Thirsty Meeples with this so it certainly felt like we celebrated it in style too.

I've only played Dominion a couple of times and I didn't really get it. I feel a bit better prepared for it now though so would certainly be prepared to give it another try. I also liked that there were some Ikea bags in your photo Paul; how very Swedish of you! :D

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 11:01:45 AM »
Never thought about until now and now that you've mentioned it many photos does have an Ikea bag somewhere. LOL.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
International Tabletop Day 2017

Started by Decar

4 Replies
Last post May 05, 2017, 01:40:49 PM
by Decar
xx
International TableTop Day

Started by Scott

4 Replies
Last post March 28, 2013, 08:05:18 PM