Author Topic: Mini Expansion "German Castles" for Carcassonne-on-Tour 2015  (Read 72471 times)

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Re: Mini Expansion "German Castles" for Carcassonne-on-Tour 2015
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2015, 08:49:37 AM »
Thanks for keeping us posted Kettlefish :)

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2015, 09:17:56 AM »
I've quickly translated the rules below:

Castles in Germany

This mini-expansion with 6-known castles from Germany allows each player to become Lords or Ladies naturally.

Setting Up
Each player takes a Castle of choice (with 2 or 3 players, each player can take 2 castles tiles). Alternatively, a player mixes the castles and assigns 1 or 2 castles to each player. The players then place their Castles in front of them. This expansion is designed for the basic game Carcassonne whose rules remain in place! The changes and exceptions, we will show you now:

1. Landscape tiles
Instead of drawing and placing a landscape tile the player may choose one of his castles. It should be noted that a castle tile may NOT touch another castle tile directly or corner to corner (diagonal). The usual rules for placement of landscape tiles apply.

2. Placing a Meeple
After the player has placed their castle, this player may place one of their Meeple (like usual) onto this tile. The player may place their Meeple onto a road, a city, a field, or as a lord / lady of the castle when placed onto the Castle.

3. Triggering a Score
Evaluation of a finished castle
A castle is evaluated in the same manner as a Cloister. Once it is completely surrounded by tiles, the Lord of the Castle will get 12 points and the player takes their Meeple, as usual, back into their reserve.
At the end of the game, all tiles in the vicinity of an unfinished castle score 1 point. The Castle Tile itself, scores 2 points.

Ratings of Roads and cities around the castle.
If a road or a complete city that ends (or starts) on the Castle tile, those players get a bonus to their usual points. Each participating player scores 3 bonus points per participating Castle.
It does not matter whether the castles are occupied or not.

The Castles in Detail

Fortress Königstein (Saxony)
... is one of the biggest mountain fortresses in Europe. It is located in the Saxon Switzerland amid the Elbe Sandstone Mountains not far from Desden. It was built on a plateau 200 meters above the Elbe. About 750 years history have made an impressive ensemble of buildings of the late Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque and 19th century military construction. Since 2008 there is a Carcassonne fan meeting at the Fortress annually in February.

Burg Konradsheim (NRW)
The water castle is located between Cologne and Bonn and is one of the few surviving late medieval castles in the Rhineland. It was first mentioned in documents in 1337. Knight Arnold of the Bush field is regarded as the builder. Today the castle is privately owned and can be rented for events. Since 2012 Carcassonne fan meeting place here annually in November.

Rieneck (Bavaria)
... Built around 1150 Castle Rieneck is located in Frankish Sinntal in Bavaria. Today, it is the Youth Castle of the Association of Christian Scouts and Guides. Particularly well known is the heart piece of the castle, known as the "Thick Tower", built in the 12th century with its historically unique Romanesque chapel wall, it is completely enclosed by the wall of the keep.

Burg Eltz (Eifel / Rhineland-Palatinate State)
... is considered the epitome of German knights castle. It is located in Elz Valley on the edge of the Eifel. She was never destroyed over time built at the beginning of the 12th century. Its history is rich in myths and events, important personalities and great art.

Wartburg (Thuringia)
The Wartburg is above Eisenach in Thuringia. It was founded in 1067 by Louis Springer, and is since 1999 a UNESCO World Heritage Site. From May 1521 to March 1522, it rendered the controversial reformer Martin Luther, who had found refuge at Wartburg while translating the New Testament into German.

Burg Bentheim (Lower Saxony)
..is an early medieval castle surrounded by the city of Bad Bentheim in Lower Saxony. She is considered one of the largest and most beautiful castles in northwest Germany. First notices go back to documents from the 11th century. Today, the castle houses a museum and can be visited all year.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 01:40:17 PM by Decar »

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Merit: 25
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2015, 09:23:46 AM »
Thanks Kettle as always.
Merit for you Decar.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me, Shall be my brother;

Offline loki

• Duke
  • Merit: 7
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2015, 09:37:59 AM »
Just wondering, since the castles are to be played and scored like Cloisters would it not have made more sense to place the German/ Dutch monasteries on double tiles?

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2015, 11:00:21 AM »
Quote from: 'Decar'
Instead of a Landshaftsplattchen to draw and create, the player may make one of his castles. It should be noted that a Burgplattchen may NOT rest against, directly or corner to corner another Burgplattchen . The usual rules when creating Landshaftplattchen apply.

1. Placing land tiles
Instead of drawing and placing a landscape tile the player may choose one of his castles. It should be noted that a castle tile may NOT touch another castle tile directly or corner to corner (diagonal). The usual rules for placement of landscape tiles apply.

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2015, 11:04:21 AM »
Just wondering, since the castles are to be played and scored like Cloisters would it not have made more sense to place the German/ Dutch monasteries on double tiles?
But then you couldn't mix them with the standard tiles.  Also if the Dutch/Belgian/German monasteries were double tiles, the scoring would be immense!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 11:40:58 AM by MrNumbers, Reason: Formatting »
Just lay the damn tile!

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2015, 11:10:41 AM »
Instead of a Landshaftsplattchen to draw and create, the player may make one of his castles. It should be noted that a Burgplattchen may NOT rest against, directly or corner to corner another Burgplattchen . The usual rules when creating Landshaftplattchen apply.

1. Placing land tiles

Thanks Kettlefish - I rushed it a bit - I've gone through a tidied it up some more; Thanks :)

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2015, 11:16:05 AM »
I just noticed that the Castle Symbol on the tiles doesn't match those in the rules!

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2015, 11:59:01 AM »
After the player has placed his castle, he can (like usual) place one of his Meeple onto this tile. He may put them on a road, a city, or a field, or as a lord / lady of the castle.

2. Placing a Meeple
After the player has placed his castle, he may place one of his Meeple (like usual) on this tile. He may place it on a road, a city, a field, or as a lord / lady of the castle onto the castle.

----------------------------
follower (Gefolgsmann) = Meeple

landscape tile (Landschaftskarte) = landscape tile (Landschaftsplättchen)

HiG likes to use new wórds for Carcassonne. We German have to learn new Words for the world of Carcassonne.
I have to say - I am so much happy  >:(
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 12:04:38 PM by kettlefish »

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2015, 12:13:55 PM »
Thanks kettlefish - I made a mess of that sentence.

I've just included descriptions of the Castles too.  Very cool.  I have to say the artwork looks even better up close.

Should I change the text to read Follower rather than Meeple?

I have 2 rule questions:  Are Lords of Castles immune to being eaten by Dragons or captured by Towers?

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2015, 12:19:11 PM »
I just noticed that the Castle Symbol on the tiles doesn't match those in the rules!
Yes.

In the introduction text for this mini HiG used "Burgfräulein" - in Germany we still have a "Burgfräulein" (princess) in the world of Carcassonne.

During the rules HiG used for castle landscape tile a short version castle tile. But HiG don't uses anymore "Karte" they uses "Plättchen" for a tile - castle tile =  Burgplättchen

In German we still have a "Burgplättchen" - in the expansion Bridges, Castles & Bazaars.
The RGG BigBox uses for that castle token = castle tile.

In English we used for "Plättchen" the word "token"
example:
tunnel token, catapult token...

I am not sure how do I complete the dictionary German/English for the world of Carcassonne

I think it is time that Carcassonne goes to the sky...  ;D
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 12:24:12 PM by kettlefish »

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2015, 12:41:17 PM »
2. Placing a Meeple
After the player has placed his castle, they may place one of their Meeple (like usual) onto this tile. They may place it on a road, a city, or a field, or as a lord / lady of the castle onto the castle.

Please be careful with the use of words in plural like "they" may...

Only the player who place the castle tile may place one of his/her Meeple...
And only this player may place it on a road....

Offline DLloyd09

• Vassal
  • Merit: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2015, 12:49:51 PM »
Please be careful with the use of words in plural like "they" may...

It's actually quite common in English to use the singular "they" as a substitute for "he or she", when the gender of the subject is not obvious (such as here, with "the player").

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2015, 01:01:19 PM »
Thay might be right, but many of our users are not native speaking English.
I read it in plural, and at Carcassonne it should come a time with an expansion when all players can place a meeple at the same time on the same landscape tile...

I think we still have some examples - I remember one example:
- The Count of Carcassonne...
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 01:03:48 PM by kettlefish »

Offline JT Atomico

• Marquis
  • Merit: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2015, 01:14:39 PM »
Interesting, my main question is whether the castles count as cloisters in all other sense of the rules. For example can you deploy an abbot, challenge with a cult or use it to escape from a besieged city?

The tiles look fantastic, I've ordered from Cundco today :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Mini-Expansion "German Kathedrals" for Carcassonne-on-Tour 2016

Started by kettlefish

160 Replies
Last post June 19, 2016, 12:18:12 AM
by stalcupojoy
question
Wagons, ringmasters, german castles and castles

Started by NGC 54

3 Replies
Last post May 31, 2020, 07:21:23 AM