Author Topic: Robber Rules  (Read 1634 times)

Offline PapaGeek

• Count
  • Merit: 18
  • The box needs a highly addictive warning label
    • View Profile
Robber Rules
« on: March 30, 2022, 07:46:00 AM »
Let me see if I understand the Robber rules correctly.

Blue has created a Cathedral City with 3 goods tokens so when Red places the Robber Tile, the City  will be completed and Blue will score 21 points.  During the placing a tile phase, Red gets to place his robber next to Blue’s scoreboard meeple, and every other player also gets to move their robbers there also. Then, in the scoring phase, Blue will get 21 points and every player with their robber on Blue’s scoring meeple will also get 11 points.  Red will also get the 3 goods tokens for completing the feature.

Blue can’t get the extra 11 points because he can’t rob himself!

But, this is Carcassonne, so it can’t always be that simple. If the game is also being played with Messengers, Blue also has a messenger on the scoreboard and all of the other players will have to decide to either put their Robbers on Blue’s Scoring Meeple or Blue’s Messenger. Then Blue gets to make the decision for which group of players gets the robbed 11 points!

And of course, anyone who does score robbed points has to return their robber to their supply.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=5853.0
Totally addicted to this game

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
  • Merit: 48
    • View Profile
    • Divider cards for C1 & C2 / C3 both in French & English:
Re: Robber Rules
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2022, 08:13:34 AM »
True except for one thing:

Not every players gets to place their robbers, only red and 1 other player:
Whenever you draw a tile with a bag, place it normally. Then, you may place your robber on the scoreboard, choosing a space that is occupied by at least one other player's scoring figure. [1] Then, the next player to the left with no robber on the scoreboard is allowed to place it.

ZMG's rules have a mistranslation, see footnote 2 on WICA  :yellow-meeple:

Offline PapaGeek

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2022, 08:48:46 AM »
True except for one thing:

Not every players gets to place their robbers, only red and 1 other player:
Whenever you draw a tile with a bag, place it normally. Then, you may place your robber on the scoreboard, choosing a space that is occupied by at least one other player's scoring figure. [1] Then, the next player to the left with no robber on the scoreboard is allowed to place it.

ZMG's rules have a mistranslation, see footnote 2 on WICA  :yellow-meeple:

Oh Great, another ZMG rule inconsistency!

OK, let’s say that the order of play is Red, Yellow, Green, Blue: Red places the Robber Tile and places or moves the Red Robber onto the Blue Meeple on the scoreboard.  Then, Yellow, and Yellow only, gets to either place the Yellow Robber onto the Blue Meeple on move the Yellow Robber onto the Blue Meeple. (or any place else that Yellow wants)

OK, final clarification, if Yellow’s Robber is already on the board and Yellow does not want to move it, since Yellow (the next player) did not take any action, does the Robber opportunity move on to Green? Or was that opportunity only available to just the next player?

Sounds like the opportunity is only there for Yellow (the next player), I just want to be certain before our next game this weekend!

« Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 08:50:42 AM by PapaGeek »

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
  • Merit: 48
    • View Profile
    • Divider cards for C1 & C2 / C3 both in French & English:
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2022, 09:04:18 AM »
the next player to the left with no robber on the scoreboard is allowed to place it.

I think this answers the question.

If yellow robber is already on the scoreboard, then it's green that gets the opportunity to place his robber, yellow robber can not be moved  :yellow-meeple:

Offline PapaGeek

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2022, 10:26:30 AM »
Thank you that does make the rule clear.

I changed our copy of the WikiCarPedia rules from:

Whenever you draw a tile with a bag, place it normally. Then, you may place your robber on the scoreboard, choosing a space that is occupied by at least one other player's scoring figure. [1] Then, the next player to the left with no robber on the scoreboard is allowed to place it. [2] If your robber is already on the scoreboard, you may choose to move it to a different space.

To:

Whenever you draw a tile with a bag, place it normally. Then, you may place your robber on the scoreboard, choosing a space that is occupied by at least one other player's scoring figure. If your robber is already on the scoreboard, you may choose to move it to a different space.

Then, the first player to the left with no robber on the scoreboard is allowed to place it. If the next player's Robber is already on the scoreboard, they are not allowed to move it, the ability to place the Robber moves to the next player until one and only one additional player has placed their Robber.

. . .

We are a group of four that gets together to play Carcassonne every weekend, sometimes with another couple.  We have argued back and forth on how to play Robbers and Messengers for a while, then stumbled onto the C1 scoreboard center start tile and developed our own C2 version.  So far we have played one game with Messengers plus River 1 and 2.  The plans for this weekend will be for Messengers and Robbers without any Rivers. Hopefully this clarification will make things go smoothly.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 10:42:59 AM by PapaGeek »

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2022, 03:45:28 AM »
Oh Great, another ZMG rule inconsistency!

I warned you... More susrprises to come... For example, in Crop Circles... >:D
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2022, 03:48:14 AM »
Then, the first player to the left with no robber on the scoreboard is allowed to place it. If the next player's Robber is already on the scoreboard, they are not allowed to move it, the ability to place the Robber moves to the next player until one and only one additional player has placed their Robber.

If all the other players have already placed their robber on the scoreboard. You will skip this loop. No additional robber can be placed.

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2022, 03:59:00 AM »
When combining messengers and robbers, there is an important subtletly as explained in this example:

https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/The_Robbers#Example_#3

Let's assume you complete two features and both of your scoring figures are placed on the same space as an opponent's robber. If you score each feature with a different scoring figure (one with your scoring meeple and the other with your messenger), the robber can steal points from any of those scorings, that is, the robber has visibility of the first scoring performed with each scoring figure on the same space even if more than one belong to a player. This has plenty of implications as I have commented in some other occasions.

Therefore, one thing is the order of evaluation (influenced by dependencies between features, for example, when considering castles) an another is the order of scoring points on the scoreboard (influenced by robbers and messages in this case).

Offline PapaGeek

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2022, 06:48:49 AM »
You keep saying these things which are drawing me deeper and deeper into the game.  :o

Didn’t you read the last line on each of my forum posts? “Totally addicted to this game”  :-\

Now I have to ask another serious question, is there a group called “Carcassonne Anonymous”?  ^-^

LOL   ;)  :)

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2022, 09:27:16 AM »
You keep saying these things which are drawing me deeper and deeper into the game.  :o

I know. This is my sole mission in life: dragging people to the deepest corners of this vast world.

Didn’t you read the last line on each of my forum posts? “Totally addicted to this game”  :-\

Ha ha ha! I don't feel identified with your words. >:D

I re-entered the Carcassonne rabbit hole in May 2018 and haven't been able to break loose since...

Now I have to ask another serious question, is there a group called “Carcassonne Anonymous”?  ^-^

LOL   ;)  :)

“Carcassonne Anonymous”? No chance! :o

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Any suggested house rules for Ferry + Robber Baron?

Started by jvnoledawg

6 Replies
Last post April 15, 2013, 08:27:46 AM
by Carcking
xx
6th expansion Count, King and Robber (German edition) for new edition is on sale

Started by ozgurceylan

24 Replies
Last post July 17, 2017, 08:27:58 AM
by Just a Bill
xx
Robber's Son for JCloisterZone

Started by Snearone

1 Replies
Last post April 21, 2022, 03:57:32 AM
by Bumsakalaka
xx
The Robbers (mini #6). Robber tile and Deploying/Scoring