Author Topic: The Barbarian Report: Polar Opposites (Carcassonne: Windroses)  (Read 6186 times)

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
The Barbarian Report: Polar Opposites (Carcassonne: Windroses)
« on: November 18, 2013, 07:44:53 AM »
Last year, Hans im Glueck decided to release an expansion as a special giveaway with their Carcassonne-on-Tour traveling tournament. Then this year, Spielbox released a slightly altered version of the same expansion with their 2013/5 issue. Let's just see how well this/these expansion(s) work by mixing them together, breaking some rules, and going with it.

Up Is Down, Down is West, East is O?
* Mixed Relations - I've always been a fan of the expansion watermark, something that was introduced with the Big Box and has been retained ever since. Even all Spielbox expansions included one. For some reason, this expansion doesn't. No watermark on the Hans im Glueck tiles. No "Spielbox pentagon" on the Spielbox tiles. And for those of you saying "Well, does it really need an icon? The tiles are pretty obvious," remember that ever Mini expansion included one as do the Corn Circles. It is an oversight that I find annoying, especially when playing with the tiles together. Which brings me to...
* Shades of Green - Can't these companies just agree on a color? They've been modifying Doris Matthaus' tiles for a decade now, yet every promo expansion that Hans im Glueck or Spielbox release includes a new shade of green. Seriously, people! Just stick to a color...preferably the one that comes with the boxed expansions. HiG's tiles are dark green...ugly dark, while Spielbox's are yellowish green. I know why we don't need watermarks on these tiles: they are differentiable because of their off colors!
* What's the Point? - But regarding the actual rules, let's just say that gaining 3-points for putting a tile in the correct quadrant isn't going to do much for me if putting it elsewhere will get me more points. Some would argue this is the entire purpose of the expansion, a cost/benefit analysis. But then others could remind that person that the entire game is about that once you start getting good enough at it. Then one realizes that 3 points is not going to win you the game, usually, especially when every other player has an equal chance of pulling the next compass tile.

Double Trouble
* Expansion Wars - A benefit of this/these expansion(s) is that there are two of them. One really isn't enough, but you double those tiles by picking up both copies (or two of the same) and you can start having fun. Granted one start tile should be set aside as well as one of the blue tiles, but why bother? As long as the players remember which tile was placed first, just toss them in the bag. Use a tower? Well, you're out of luck. Having 11(+start) tiles to draw makes the came exponentially more fun than only using 5(+start).
* Redirected - You've got to give it to Hans im Glueck for coming up with this strange idea. I mean, there are probably a hundred or more expansions that have been created by CarcassonneCentral and Carcassonne-Forum yet nobody thought up this expansion. Is that a good sign or a bad sign? Who knows, but the expansion definitely adds a bit of visual logic to the map. Because that is exactly what you are making: a map. And what do all maps need? A compass rose. It probably could have been implemented better, but still, I think this expansion fits overall with the theme of the game, even if the compass is rather confused in which direction it is pointing.
* Simplicity is Bliss - Another thing that is great about this expansion is that it is easy. It is only 6 tiles officially. The rules are simple and logical. And it plays well with other expansions. All of this is good for a game prone to terrible and complicated ideas (I'm looking at you, Catapult).

Inconclusion
This expansion is not ideal nor is it even remotely necessary. Most people won't even remember it when thinking of expansions, and I would any day play with another expansion before this. But if you enjoy adding a few tiles without much complexity, this may be an expansion for you. In fact, I'd go so far to say that this with the River I would be a great combo. Throw in The School and Corn Circles I and you have yourself enough tiles for a boxed expansion of its own. Seriously, 26 tiles, a meeple, and some new rules that don't conflict with each other. Sell it, Hans im Glueck! In the end, it shows that HiG hasn't given up on new ideas and that while they keep making new spin-offs, they are still putting at least a little time into expanding their flag-ship series. And this, I feel, is a good thing.

SCORES
Playability: A
Affordability: B
Compatibility (with other expansions): A
Aethetics: B-
Learning Curve: A
FINAL GRADE: B

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=523.0

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
Re: The Barbarian Report: Polar Opposites (Carcassonne: Windroses)
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 03:34:28 PM »
whaleyland,
again there is one of your great reviews.

Really no one of the community was ever thinking about this variation of game play like the Windroses...

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Bug Report--- JCloisterZone 3.4.2 - WindRoses

Started by JoeSesquipedalian

1 Replies
Last post November 04, 2016, 02:45:27 PM
by farin
xx
The Barbarian Report: Carcassonne The Discovery

Started by Whaleyland

6 Replies
Last post December 02, 2017, 11:23:49 AM
by Halfling
cheesy
The Barbarian Report: The Cathars' Revenge (Mists Over Carcassonne)

Started by Whaleyland

5 Replies
Last post January 31, 2023, 03:30:38 PM
by Whaleyland
thumbdown
The Barbarian Report: Darmstadt: An Expansion Too Far

Started by Whaleyland

3 Replies
Last post October 03, 2015, 08:51:45 AM
by Halfling
xx
The Barbarian Report: The Labyrinth – Getting Dizzier