Poll

How was your understanding of the ringmaster points?

I only receive ringmaster points only when scoring features in the base game
1 (9.1%)
I receive ringmaster points when scoring any feature (no limitation)
9 (81.8%)
I do something else
1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Clarification of rules (ringmasters) - with HiG - 27 01 2021  (Read 5221 times)

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
Re: Clarification of rules (ringmasters) - with HiG - 27 01 2021
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2021, 11:30:27 PM »
Rather to not search ;-)
Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Offline Vital Pluymers

• Duke
  • Merit: 3
  • The King
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2021, 11:44:18 PM »
Today we got the following clarification from Johannes (HiG) on the HiG Discord server.
[A2] No it's referring to everything. Otherwise you will run into problems (like the castle), because there are no 8 tiles surrounding it.  Same thing would apply to German monasteries.

Except for the castle and German Castle, there are no other cases for which it could lead to possible problems. The eight spaces around the tile are always easy to spot as circus tiles are always normal shaped rectangular tiles.

Regarding castles, there would be two options:
(i) Ringmasters on castles do not get any bonuses.
(ii) For ringmasters on bonuses, only circus tiles in the castles fief are triggering the bonus.
All problems would have been solved.

For German Castles, it is a little more complicated if you want to respect the eight spaces around the tile. Maybe an option would be to choose the left or right side from the double tile  :D

Now stating that you only get a bonus for a base game feature is really stupid. You get the bonus for a monastery, but not for an abbey, shrine, etc., features that work according to the exact same mechanics. Where is the logic behind this?

I will not play according to these rules. Ringmasters get bonuses for all completed features they are occupying. For castles I will apply option (ii).
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 03:32:06 AM by Vital Pluymers, Reason: Added German Castles »

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2021, 11:52:29 PM »
Now stating that you only get a bonus for a base game feature is really stupid. You get the bonus for a monastery, but not for an abbey, shrine, etc., features that work according to the exact same mechanics. Where is the logic behind this?

And what about German Monasteries/Dutach(Belgian) Monasteries/Japanese Buildings.

Direct in rules are, that you have to remove original Monasteries and replace them with new one.

Then Ringmaster not applies for German Monasteries, because it's expansion, event that replace basic game feature?

Offline Vital Pluymers

• Duke
  • The King
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2021, 12:02:28 AM »

And what about German Monasteries/Dutach(Belgian) Monasteries/Japanese Buildings.

Direct in rules are, that you have to remove original Monasteries and replace them with new one.

Then Ringmaster not applies for German Monasteries, because it's expansion, event that replace basic game feature?

True, no logic at all.
Anyhow, since we always play with a bag full of tiles, we never remove any monasteries anyway  ;D

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
  • Merit: 48
    • View Profile
    • Divider cards for C1 & C2 / C3 both in French & English:
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2021, 12:08:31 AM »

I'd suggest that, when we use german/dutch/japanese monasteries by replacing base game tiles, then they become part of base game features as long as they are played as a base game feature.

So a ringmaster placed as a monk on a German monastery replacing base game tiles still gets his ringmaster bonus  :yellow-meeple:

Offline Vital Pluymers

• Duke
  • The King
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2021, 12:14:36 AM »

I'd suggest that, when we use german/dutch/japanese monasteries by replacing base game tiles, then they become part of base game features as long as they are played as a base game feature.

So a ringmaster placed as a monk on a German monastery replacing base game tiles still gets his ringmaster bonus  :yellow-meeple:

But not when you place the ringmaster on a similar abbey of Darmstadt monastery?
And not when you don't replace the base game monasteries by German monasteries?

Come on, corinthiens13, you have to admit that this really is not making any sense.

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2021, 12:32:42 AM »

But not when you place the ringmaster on a similar abbey of Darmstadt monastery?
It is a shame, but no, according to those clarifications...

It's a shame too, but then they are an expansion not part of the base game, so...  :'(

But at least I think we can save something by considering the German monasteries are part of the base game if they replace base game monasteries, that's the least we can do  :yellow-meeple:

Offline Vital Pluymers

• Duke
  • The King
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2021, 12:44:05 AM »

It is a shame, but no, according to those clarifications...

It's a shame too, but then they are an expansion not part of the base game, so...  :'(

But at least I think we can save something by considering the German monasteries are part of the base game if they replace base game monasteries, that's the least we can do  :yellow-meeple:

We can also revolt, a word you always like to use, and tell HiG that they are wrong and should consider a better and more consequent solution. You already have my support. And Meepledrone's  8)

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2021, 12:46:02 AM »
We can also revolt, a word you always like to use, and tell HiG that they are wrong and should consider a better and more consequent solution. You already have my support. And Meepledrone's  8)

:)) :))

Offline NGC 54

• Marquis
  • Merit: 10
  • HiG must provide clarifications for all expansions
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia user page
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2021, 03:22:03 AM »
So it seems that the ringmaster only provides ringmaster points when placed on the following features:
- Roads
- Cities
- Monasteries
- Fields (even when scored due to a barn - only case admitted in the rules)

"- Monasteries" - even if they are placed on tiles from other expansions (without taking in consideration abbeys, shrines, Darmstadt churches, German monasteries)?

"There is a edge case mentioned for expansion 5 but not for 8." - "expansion 5"? The wagon uses similar rules?

I think that this clarification is how it is because this is the simplest way; no effort from HiG in explaining what happens with castles and German castles (the only 2 cases where there are less or more than 9 tiles).
I translate WikiCarpedia in Romanian (https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Main_Page/ro). I have 47,200+ edits at WICA. My WICA user page: https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/User:NGC_54. Romanian translation of WICA: https://wikicarpedia.com/car/Special:LanguageStats?language=ro&x=D#sortable:3=desc.

Offline Vital Pluymers

• Duke
  • The King
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2021, 03:27:29 AM »
So it seems that the ringmaster only provides ringmaster points when placed on the following features:
- Roads
- Cities
- Monasteries

"- Monasteries" - even if they are placed on tiles from other expansions (without taking in consideration abbeys, shrines, Darmstadt churches, German monasteries)?

"There is a edge case mentioned for expansion 5 but not for 8." - "expansion 5"? The wagon uses similar rules?

I think that this clarification is how it is because this is the simplest way; no effort from HiG in explaining what happens with castles and German castles (the only 2 cases where there are less or more than 9 tiles).

You're right. German Castles needs an extra clarification too.

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2021, 06:13:52 AM »
- Roads
- Cities
- Monasteries

You're right. German Castles needs an extra clarification too.

Current clarification is clear and today confirmed also for replacing monasteries with Japanese buildings bundled in Carcassonne J edition:

This question is already answered above. For every other expansion, the ringmaster is a normal meeple.
But again, this is a question regarding the combination of several expansions, including a mini.

So Discrosuler: ringmaster bonus can be only when standing on Road as Knight / City as Thieft / Field as Farmer and (Basic game) Monastery as Monk.

Nothing less, nothing more.

Clarification with Barn just solve issue, that Ringmaster is placed on Field as Farmer, which is allowed and Barn is placed or two fields when on one is Barn. Rules says, that when solve placement of Barn or join field with field with Barn, Ringmaster as Farmer gets his bonus points.

Well. Easy and clear.

Why this: For me, they avaid to solve issue, like Monastery / Shrine fight (Ringmaster placed on loosed Shrine) - anyway, what if stays in Monastery? - by basic rules, when monastery finished, Ringmaster get's bonus - doesn't matter if get's 9 or 0 points.

Castles - 6 tiles, German Castle - 10 adjacent tiles, Road to Leipzig - 7 adjacent tiles etc.

Why they what to Ringmaster to loose his bonus also from abbey, darmstadt church, German Cathedrals, German Monasteries? I don't know here.

With other features where adjacent tiles is different that 8 can be simplication that all of adjacent tiles depends on feature (Castle 6, Double tiles 10, etc) - simple.

But as you see. HiG are not so happy to solve issue with rules.

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2021, 10:23:08 AM »
Besides sweeping any possible problems under a carpet, the only reason I see for denying ringmaster points for features not in the base game is that these other features may provide special mechanics and scorings that HiG wouldn't like to overload with the addition of ringmaster points.

It is public that Exp. 10 can boost the players' scorings, but I think that this effect may be watered down when adding more expansions so building clusters of circus and acrobat tiles won't probably be that easy.

I wouldn't dare to think that HiG has a secret plan to create a walled garden around their major expansions and leave everything outside disconnected from them. They seem to be already doing this with the mini expansions...
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline DrMeeple

• Baron
  • Merit: 33
  • I mix expansions at my own risk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2021, 11:05:49 AM »
Thank you Meepledrone for your work! Finally we have official rules. HiG’s style of course hahaha I think it’s important to have all the official clarifications of the rules from HiG. After we can prefer some house rules but that’s another think. You can always play like you prefer.
I think it’s important to keep the feedback with HiG about clarifications. But If now we get angry with HiG because his answers... maybe they won’t give us more clarifications.
I agree that HiG don’t take care about the rules and the interaction of all the expansions that they created... And after the fans have a lot of doubts and we start to play by ourselves thinking this is correct or this not.. Be careful. I think HIG should take this issue about rules and make a big book or page on his website with all the clarifications and possible interactions...
I’m agree with Meepledrone about mini expansions. Clearly they make them for money and only take care about big expansions only...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I mix expansions at my own risk.

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2021, 04:02:47 AM »
Ringmaster and magic portal

[Q3] If a ringmaster is placed via a magic portal, does it become a normal meeple as per the rules of Exp. 10? (see clarification http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=5020.0)

[A3] For the part related to "placing" the meeple, it is a normal meeple. Once it is on the board, it is a ringmaster again. In this case with all its abilites if the feature is a road, a city, a monastery or a field, like in the previous case.
But if you would place the ringmaster in a German castle, for example, it is back to "normal" without its special abilites (ringmaster points).
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 04:11:23 AM by Meepledrone »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Clarification of rules (peasant revolts - part 2) - with HiG - 12 01 2021

Started by Meepledrone

17 Replies
Last post January 27, 2021, 04:31:35 PM
by Meepledrone
xx
Clarification of rules (Sending meeple to Carcassonne) - with HiG - 29 01 2021

Started by Meepledrone

15 Replies
Last post February 11, 2021, 06:19:00 AM
by Bumsakalaka
xx
Clarification of rules (acrobats & phantoms, Leipzig) - with HiG - 21-25 06 2021

Started by Meepledrone

9 Replies
Last post July 21, 2021, 01:59:05 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
Clarification of rules (Messages) - with HiG - 29 01 2021

Started by Meepledrone

40 Replies
Last post November 20, 2021, 07:21:11 AM
by NGC 54
xx
Clarification of rules (halflings & double-sized tiles) - with HiG - 21 01 2021