Author Topic: prisoner ransom interactions  (Read 7529 times)

Offline asparagus

• Count
  • Merit: 11
  • I am a meeple not a sheeple.
    • View Profile
    • Fan Expansion Wiki
prisoner ransom interactions
« on: July 22, 2014, 02:11:06 PM »
Suppose a blue robber is sitting next to a green scoring figure. Green redeems a prisoner from red. Thus green moves back 3 spaces.   Am I right the blue robber is obliged to move back three spaces to remain on the same square as the green figure?

Suppose a blue robber is sitting next to a green scoring figure and a yellow scoring figure. Green redeems a prisoner from red. Thus green moves back 3 spaces.   Am I right the blue robber can choose whether  to move back three spaces to remain on the same square as the green figure or to stay put with yellow?

Suppose a blue robber is sitting next to a green scoring figure and a blue scoring figure. Blue redeems a prisoner from Green. Thus green moves forward 3 spaces and blue back 3.   Am I right the blue robber scores 2 and so this is a way of redeeming prisoners cheaply?

Suppose green redeems a prisoner and moves a scoring figure back from 38 to 35. Does this trigger a dispatch again providing a way of redeeming prisoners cheaply?

Do the answers apply to all  negative scores such as bazaar auctions?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=898.0

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
Re: prisoner ransom interactions
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 10:37:26 PM »
From what I can interpret by reading the CAR, the conclusion would be that 'moving forward" in the rule section would also be applied when moving  backwards.
  This would render all your example outcome to be true. I.e. the answer is yes.

My answer is based on other games whereas 'forwards' has been expanded to 'moves anywhere', both official and unofficial, which seems logical.

:meeple:
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline asparagus

• Count
  • Merit: 11
  • I am a meeple not a sheeple.
    • View Profile
    • Fan Expansion Wiki
Re: prisoner ransom interactions
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 10:42:48 PM »
I guess I had the dispatches question the wrong way round.

To trigger a dispatch you need to get either of your two scoring figures onto a multiple of 5. Once someone has taken one of your meeples prisoner you have a away of triggering a dispatch at the cost of 3 points (I claim!). A dispatch is only guaranteed to score 2 points so HiG missed an opportunity to really mess up there and they avoided creating a small milking exploit. However this is well worth it so long as you have a good chance of getting more than 3 points or an extra tile. And the order of the dispatch cards is in principle memorizable.

From what I can interpret by reading the CAR, the conclusion would be that 'moving forward" in the rule section would also be applied when moving  backwards.
  This would render all your example outcome to be true. I.e. the answer is yes.

My answer is based on other games whereas 'forwards' has been expanded to 'moves anywhere', both official and unofficial, which seems logical.

:meeple:

I think, but I am not going to double-check until later, that the logic breaks down in some places. My reading of the robber rules is that they are intended to make sure that robbers are never stranded which is why I think robbers can be forced to move back However they are not obliged to accept negative scores and just saying "forward" can be expanded to "in both directions" might imply that.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 10:44:20 PM by asparagus »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
The Tower - Prisoner's Ransom

Started by MeisterAbababa

3 Replies
Last post November 09, 2020, 06:07:40 AM
by MeisterAbababa
xx
Tower: 3 way prisoner exchange

Started by PapaGeek

3 Replies
Last post May 25, 2022, 06:23:47 AM