Author Topic: How do you shuffle your tiles?  (Read 2352 times)

Offline Challa007

• Viscount
  • Merit: 34
  • Fight, Flight, Freeze ..... or Play :)
    • View Profile
How do you shuffle your tiles?
« on: December 04, 2022, 01:23:03 AM »
This dialogue from the " I love the postman" thread had me thinking...

My big existential question of the moment related to carcassonne is to know if I invest in sleeves to protect my tiles.  ???

If you use a bag to draw the tiles is a must...

It really is. I was playing a copy of Hunters and gathers 2nd edition out of a bag and you could tell a few pieces has already taken a beating

We do not use a bag but the tower for the tiles. But we need to shuffle them and I can clearly see that they get rubbed from that!

We put them face down on the table and shuffle and I think, clearly, that is not a good idea....

My BB5 tiles got a little damaged so I just had to buy a new BB5 box (for a good price ;) ) but would like to avoid that in the future.
Also, I don't want to use sleeves.

Any ideas how to shuffle without damaging the tiles?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=6186.0

Offline Snearone

• Duke
  • Merit: 126
    • View Profile
Re: How do you shuffle your tiles?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2022, 01:42:54 AM »
Since I never play exclusively with the base game, my method for shuffling the tiles looks like this: scattering a single or two on top of each other tiles from the base game face down on the table, as many as will be handy, for me it's usually about 20, then placing tiles from expansions on top of them and covering them with the remaining ones from the base game, sometimes alternately forming more layers, the final step is to gather the tiny stacks into larger ones, sometimes cutting them in the middle.
The tiles land in a tower, or form the usual four free-standing stacks from which they are drawn.
Completed: Robber's Son | Gambler's Luck | Vistas Revisited | First Wells | The Flying Machines 2
WIP: The Occult Tower | Binding Deed | Wandering Preachers | City Gates Rebuilt | New King's Orders

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
  • Merit: 48
    • View Profile
    • Divider cards for C1 & C2 / C3 both in French & English:
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2022, 01:59:28 AM »
My tiles are sleeved, so I shuffle them on the table, then place them in piles (for small games), or in a bag or in one/two towers for bigger games  :yellow-meeple:

Offline Maiday

• Freeman
  • Merit: 2
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2022, 03:41:19 AM »
I have sleeved tiles. They all get placed on the table and scattered around then they get placed I'm a bag.

The player whose turn it is keeps hold of the bag until they are happy with their turn and then passes the bag onwards.

The amount of times we have had "oh can I do something else jnsted" once the bag is passed the answer is "no"

Edit: just to note I prefer the tiles unsleaved but I would never play with some of my rarer tiles if they wasn't so I guess I have to deal with that.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 03:49:56 AM by Maiday »

Offline PapaGeek

• Count
  • Merit: 18
  • The box needs a highly addictive warning label
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2022, 04:31:44 AM »
Our basic game of four players starts with 71 Basic Game tiles plus 18 Inns and Cathedrals plus 24 Traders and Builders, that is 113 tiles before we start talking about what other standard and fan expansions we want for the next game!

We start by gently mixing the tiles in the middle of the table, then making about 8 or 10 small stacks, then take each stack one at a time to randomly remake 8 or 10 new stacks.  We do this a couple of times before our first game of the night, then make a final set of 2 stacks per player. The stacks are placed in the center of the table and the player who did most of the restacking is the last player to select their 2 stacks for the game.

Because the sides of each tile are visible in each stack, we are very careful on how we create the tiles for each fan expansion, we want all of the tiles to be invisible in the stacks!

Near the end of the game, the last 15 or 20 tiles are all combined into a single stack that is passed to the next player after your turn.

https://www.papageek.com/car/Tiles.htm

As a last step, each turn, each player, picks up about half of one of their stacks, then drops the bottom tile onto the table face down as their tile for that turn.

After each game that night, the first thing we do is make a new stack of the river tiles, then, if we decide that the next game will be played with a different set of expansions, we either remove the old expansion from all of the face up tiles on the table or randomly add the new expansion to the face up tiles.

The tiles are already mixed on the table based on how they were played in the previous game, so premixing before making 2 stacks for each player is a lot quicker before the next game.

Also, at any time during the game, a player can ask another player to switch stacks with them! Every stack is random, so switching doesn't matter!

Near the end of the game, the last 15 or 20 tiles are all combined into one stack that is passed to the next player after your turn.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 04:38:02 AM by PapaGeek »
Totally addicted to this game

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 114
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2022, 08:07:10 AM »
We put the unsleeved tiles in a bag and mix them inside the bag. We used to play every week for several years, and none of my tiles are showing any signs of wear.

When the previous player passes the bag to you, his turn ends and your turn begins. When you pass the bag to the next player, your turn ends. We allow people to waffle on their decisions as much as they want until they pass the bag to the next player. After that, what’s done is done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Maiday

• Freeman
  • Merit: 2
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2022, 09:20:44 AM »
We put the unsleeved tiles in a bag and mix them inside the bag. We used to play every week for several years, and none of my tiles are showing any signs of wear.

When the previous player passes the bag to you, his turn ends and your turn begins. When you pass the bag to the next player, your turn ends. We allow people to waffle on their decisions as much as they want until they pass the bag to the next player. After that, what’s done is done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like I've put in my edit. That last bit is very important.

Once the bag has passed on there is no more changes only regrets.

Offline Challa007

• Viscount
  • Merit: 34
  • Fight, Flight, Freeze ..... or Play :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2022, 12:13:40 PM »
Thank you all for your answers!!  :(y)

I also discovered that there have been similar threads in the past.  :)

A lot of ideas to get inspired from... I think we will go with the 20 stacks... :)

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2022, 12:20:11 PM »
Thank you all for your answers!!  :(y)

I also discovered that there have been similar threads in the past.  :)

A lot of ideas to get inspired from... I think we will go with the 20 stacks... :)

Haha, we are usually playing with 12.

Most of expansions are has 6 times 1, 2, 3.

So we created 6 stacks with tiles from basic game.

Then we place before stacks in a row tiles from expansions we want to play.

Then we place tiles randomly into stack in same column.

Then we mix tiles in each stack and every one divide into two.

Usually we are playing games with +-200 tiles.

Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2022, 03:22:31 AM »
Need me one of those! Amazing!

That's a Majong table, right? But modified for Carcassonne? How does it get the tiles all facing down when it comes up?!  :o
Join me on the journey through the history and oddities of Carcassonne, on My Instagram
1 0 days since i've bought more Carcassonne

Offline Snearone

• Duke
  • Merit: 126
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2022, 06:23:01 AM »
@Decar, @Willem are you sure you wan't your tiles to be slowly minced?  I'm not sure how many cycles cardboard tiles could witstand.
It is indeed modified mahyong table.
This video shows how such tables work: https://youtu.be/hpbjH_eHc6A?t=155

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2022, 06:56:03 AM »
I think you were taking my suggestion a little too seriously  ;D  ;D  ;D

I think there's a few convenient edits in the videos Willem.  We can dream though.  Maybe with some nice wooden, and durable, tiles it would work wonders :D

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2022, 07:10:53 AM »
Or, we just get one of the Mahjong tables, with the 2 magnetic mahjong sets.
And then we get rid of all our carcassonne, and we play mahjong instead?

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
  • Merit: 48
    • View Profile
    • Divider cards for C1 & C2 / C3 both in French & English:
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2022, 07:12:13 AM »
Ok, but you first have to make THE mahjong museum!  :yellow-meeple:

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
How do you shuffle your tiles without damaging them?

Started by Kirk Sellman

17 Replies
Last post February 24, 2021, 08:11:30 AM
by cicerunner
xx
What would you consider the best expansion tiles? Specifically the tiles.

Started by Clarky

9 Replies
Last post February 15, 2018, 06:12:22 AM
by danisthirty
sad
Do you own expansions you never play yet still rush out to buy new ones?

Started by Gerry

27 Replies
Last post October 15, 2014, 10:47:05 PM
by henrysunset
xx
Are You Italian? Why didn't you tell me!

Started by aenima

5 Replies
Last post September 07, 2018, 10:57:12 PM
by aenima
xx
Can you get Message when you get negative points?

Started by Bumsakalaka

8 Replies
Last post August 14, 2022, 10:49:21 PM
by Scott