Author Topic: Gimmick Game - Only expansions that have no tiles  (Read 1398 times)

Offline Doom_Shark

• Vassal
  • Merit: 3
  • I swear I have a life...just not right now
    • View Profile
Gimmick Game - Only expansions that have no tiles
« on: November 17, 2022, 05:15:22 PM »
Today, my partner and I played a couple games using every expansion I have that does not add any landscape tiles! Well, the first game we both completely forgot about the Gifts until halfway through, so we decided that they just didn't exist for that game. The full list of expansions we used:
  • The Abbot
  • The Phantom
  • The Messengers
  • The Land Surveyors
  • The Gifts

Our first game was also our first experience with the land surveyors. We quickly figured out how to complete each others' features while a negative scoring tile was active. In general our first game was most impacted by the land surveyors - we never made it through the full stack of messages. I wonder if part of this was the fact that most of our energy was spent on learning the impact of the scoring tiles and how to manipulate them.

The second game was much more dynamic. Sabotaging each others' features using the scoring tiles was great already, but now that we actually remembered the gifts, it was an extra treat to force a completed city under the effect of the poverty tile, and then also draw a gift for our troubles. Messages were much more impactful now that we were more careful about the Land Surveyors scoring tiles. It's hard for me to estimate the impact of the abbot and the phantom, seeing as we include these figures in just about every game we play.

Overall, I really liked this combination, as it adds a lot of mechanical complexity (which I like) without really adding too much to the game time - each game took less than an hour, compared to 1.5+ hours with a handful of expansions that add more tiles. We had a lot of fun!

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=6164.0

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
Re: Gimmick Game - Only expansions that have no tiles
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2022, 06:11:54 PM »
You forgot the Little Buildings!

There are also several elements within expansions that can be used without tiles, such as most of the wooden figures (Big Meeples, Builders, Pigs, Mayors, Wagons, Shepherds) and the King and Robber Baron.

Offline Doom_Shark

• Vassal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2022, 10:06:00 PM »
For the sake of simplicity, we chose to not use any partial expansions. Also, for the most part, I only have C2/3 expansions, so I don't have little buildings.

Offline DIN0

• Viscount
  • Merit: 37
  • Carcassonne is only complete with 11th expansion:)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2022, 02:21:59 PM »
You should get little buildings - it's a must in a game like this. Also threre is one more C2 expasnion with no tiles to be potentially added - St. Nicholas scoring track.

Offline Doom_Shark

• Vassal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2022, 12:39:27 AM »
Also threre is one more C2 expasnion with no tiles to be potentially added - St. Nicholas scoring track.

Haha, I don't think I'll be able to aquire it officially! I did forget about that though, might see if my partner is willing to throw that minor addition into the mix

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2022, 05:33:52 AM »
You may find the magazine with this mini here both in German and in English  >:D:

https://nostheide.de/webshop3/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=2012/5

I sometimes play it using 18 1.5cm wooden cubes with 1, 2 or 3 pips drawn on top representing sheds, houses and towers respectivly... Much easier to place and spot on the board than the original tokens which tend to be too big for my taste. ;)
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline kothmann

• Viscount
  • Merit: 92
  • Oh! That’s interesting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2022, 08:14:04 AM »
Today, my partner and I played a couple games using every expansion I have that does not add any landscape tiles!

Overall, I really liked this combination, as it adds a lot of mechanical complexity (which I like) without really adding too much to the game time.
Thanks for sharing this.  Sounds like a lot of fun!   :D

Perhaps you would be interested in my Old City expansion, which was created with a similar motivation in mind.

Online Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2022, 07:51:05 AM »
As Abbot is part of Base game, maybe try also these partials of large expansion which works well in every game.
1. Large meeple
2. Builder
3. Wagon / Mayor / Barn
4. King / Robber Barron
5. Shepherd

Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Offline wolnic

• Authors
  • Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 207
  • Ummm and Ahhh! Can't decide!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2022, 01:39:36 PM »
Today, my partner and I played a couple games using every expansion I have that does not add any landscape tiles!

When I read this first I thought you were playing without any tiles, just the components from those expansions ... and wondered what sort of game that might be ...  :)
AutumnForest (C2), Catch Of The Day (C1/2/WD), Cliffs&W'falls (C1/2), Coast (C1/2), FishHuts (C2), Fluvium (C2), NewForest (C2), Harvest (C1/2), Stone Circles (C1/2), Wells (C2), Jordan River 2 (AotC), River I/II (GR)
Devt: Sakura (C2), WinterEdge (C1), WinterCoast (WD/WE) and others

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Play with expansions only - no base game

Started by cicerunner

5 Replies
Last post October 07, 2020, 03:35:17 AM
by Paul
xx
some expansions have tiles with different texture

Started by danielbrie

10 Replies
Last post February 21, 2013, 03:52:39 AM
by kettlefish
xx
[WTG] Carcassonne 2.0 + All Full Expansions - Boxes and Inserts ONLY

Started by Rhoobarb2005

5 Replies
Last post February 28, 2019, 03:25:34 AM
by supertopix
xx
WTB: ONLY the 3 Darmstadt tiles for Carcassonne

Started by BabyGamer

3 Replies
Last post March 06, 2015, 06:46:15 AM
by Chooselife
xx
WTB empty base game boxes C1/2/3 (uk only)

Started by Maiday

2 Replies
Last post October 15, 2023, 10:27:17 AM
by Maiday