Author Topic: Christmas Present (2013) print-and-play expansion  (Read 3914 times)

Offline LaPorxada (aka BigBoss)

• Count
  • Merit: 28
  • updated 2022
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas Present (2013) print-and-play expansion
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2022, 04:59:00 PM »
@aenima

JEM have said they will upload the PDF to their website,
Hi BigBoss, have you seen the pdf added to the JEM website?  My language skills (lack of) are hindering my searching.

I have my own version - but I am aware of the file from Jems website.
I'm looking for:
● Carcassonne shopdisplays (esp.dicegame.+ Minis ger.)
● Carcassonne Στα Κάστρα του Μυστρά (2002) Greek first edition
● Carcassonne - chinese Sur knight kings editions
● ETCOC / WTCOC 2020 commemorative tiles
& more -> https://ibb.co/cCcm4SB

Offline Leven

• Viscount
  • Merit: 49
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2022, 04:05:44 AM »
Thanks and merits to both LaPorxada (aka Big Boss) for finding this and Scott for printing and translating.  Just looked at the rules.  Wow, the one gift grants double points for the rest of the game.  If gotten early that would be a HUGE advantage.  Anyone else think that card might be a little too powerful??  Anyway, great little find.  Thanks again!

This is wrong translation. The original Hungarian rules say that with this card you get 2 points for each meeple in your supply AT THE END OF THE GAME.

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 114
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2022, 05:59:11 AM »
This is wrong translation. The original Hungarian rules say that with this card you get 2 points for each meeple in your supply AT THE END OF THE GAME.

Thanks, I've made the correction!

Offline Leven

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2022, 06:06:28 AM »
Hi,
After reading the original Hungarian rules I suggest some corrections to the translation:

:red-meeple: : current English translation at the WICA
 :green-meeple: : suggested correction by me
 :violet-meeple: : my comments

Score an unfinished cloister for +1 points per tile.
Score an unfinished cloister for +1 points per tile (except for the closter tile itself).

Score double points for the remainder of the game.
Score 2 points for each of your meeples left in your supply.

When occupied fields are joined, score +1 point for each completed city.
When scoring a field with shared majority, score +1 point for each completed city.

Rotate an opponent's meeple onto its side to prevent it from being returned when the feature is completed.
Rotate (lay down) all meeples on a corresponding feature to prevent it from being returned when the feature is completed. If, later in the game, another meeple is deployed to this feature* it must be laid down as well. Points for the feature are awarded only at the end of the game.
* Might be a case when playing with The flier or Crop circles?
+ It needs to be clarified what happens when this feature joins another where meeples aren’t laid down. I suppose they should be affected, too.

When scoring a feature where two players share majority, the player who activates this card gains +1 influence.
I think this is a card where a clarfication would be necessary. The wording of original rules seems to indicate that the card can be activated on incomplete features, too: it mentions that if another player activates a similar card on the same feature, the two cards cancel each other. (BTW: do they cancel each other when three or more players share majority and two of those players activate such a card?)

Exchange an opponent's meeple on the corresponding feature type for one from your supply.
Exchange an opponent's meeple on the corresponding feature type for one of your own meeples on a feature of the same type.

Force an opponent to place their tile in the location of your choosing.
Force the next player to place their tile in the location of your choosing.

Offline Leven

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2022, 06:19:36 AM »
Also, there are some mistranslations in the introduction.

It happens once every year, it's cold, everything is covered in snow and the whole world is decorated with pine trees. The Farmer is free of work. Christmas. In this case, millions of gifts find their owners. They are very happy with some of them, but sometimes the feeling "they shouldn't have opened the package" overwhelms the person. In this add-on players will receive gifts and not all of them will be happy ones (at least for the other players)

What is it? It happens once every year, it's cold, everything is covered in snow and the whole world is decorating pine trees. Shall I tell you the answer? Of course, it is Christmas.
This is when millions of gifts find their owners. They are very happy with some of them, but sometimes the feeling "they shouldn't have opened the package" overwhelms the person. In this add-on players will receive gifts and not all of them will be happy ones (at least for the other players)

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2022, 06:27:01 AM »
I have implemented all corrections and made a post on Facebook (and tagged Rachel Anthony-Rowlands who made the English PDF) to let people know that changes have been made in case they printed something out (this is why online rules are better than printed).

Might be a case when playing with The flier or Crop circles?

Yes, those are certainly ways for meeples to be deployed to a feature. I think the rules allow for it as they are written. I don't know how to do the expansion interaction thing, so if someone else wants to add it that would be much appreciated.

It needs to be clarified what happens when this feature joins another where meeples aren’t laid down. I suppose they should be affected, too.

I've added a footenote stating that when features are joined and one has meeples laid down, the other should too.

I think this is a card where a clarfication would be necessary. The wording of original rules seems to indicate that the card can be activated on incomplete features, too: it mentions that if another player activates a similar card on the same feature, the two cards cancel each other. (BTW: do they cancel each other when three or more players share majority and two of those players activate such a card?)

I've added the cancellation thing to the main text, and added a footnote for the situation where three or more players share majority. I've taken the position that the two players who play tiebreaker cards will both have +1 influence over the other players and share the majority between the two of them, to the exclusion of the other players. I think this makes the most sense.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2022, 06:28:41 AM by Scott »

Offline Leven

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2022, 07:12:02 AM »
I have implemented all corrections and made a post on Facebook (and tagged Rachel Anthony-Rowlands who made the English PDF) to let people know that changes have been made in case they printed something out (this is why online rules are better than printed).
:(y)

I've added the cancellation thing to the main text, and added a footnote for the situation where three or more players share majority. I've taken the position that the two players who play tiebreaker cards will both have +1 influence over the other players and share the majority between the two of them, to the exclusion of the other players. I think this makes the most sense.
I agree. What I don't really like is that if this card can be activated on an incomplete feature then the players need to memorize who activated the card and which incomplete feature is affected.

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2022, 07:27:18 AM »
Great work @Leven ! Thank you for helping with the translation!

I'm looking forward to trying these out in a game :)
Join me on the journey through the history and oddities of Carcassonne, on My Instagram
1 0 days since i've bought more Carcassonne

Offline Challa007

• Viscount
  • Merit: 34
  • Fight, Flight, Freeze ..... or Play :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2022, 07:50:34 AM »
Thanks for your help with the translation @Leven !!!

With the current hype, it was so important to have it quickly  >:D

+1 merit

Offline Singing Dwarf

• Villein
  • Merit: 1
  • Keep Calm and Carcassonne!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2022, 04:18:56 PM »
It took me longer to create the tuckbox. My first attempt was slightly undersized in two dimensions, but once I fixed that it was easy. Cut out the box, use the metal ruler near the edge of the table to make nice clean folds, trim a few pieces deliberately leftover, put a little glue on the flap, and assemble.

Where did you get the English version of the tuckbox from? The PDF file on the JEM website linked above is in Hungarian?

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2022, 10:37:34 PM »
I made the tuckbox myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Clarification of rules (Christmas Present) - with JEM Magazin - 02 01 2023

Started by Meepledrone

3 Replies
Last post January 09, 2023, 12:43:33 PM
by Meepledrone
exclamation
Carcassonne: Print and Play Demo - Official Version

Started by t2k

2 Replies
Last post January 24, 2021, 01:33:09 PM