Author Topic: Mists over Carcassonne  (Read 33564 times)

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
Re: Mists over Carcassonne
« Reply #195 on: September 18, 2022, 02:33:56 PM »

Again not well made distribution. There are two cards CRFF (CRFM) but none of CFFR
I think for coop it will have not fealeble impact

But when playing as an expansion it has.

Odoslané z SM-A202F pomocou Tapatalku

Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Offline OneEyedOwl

• Vassal
  • Merit: 2
  • Based in Germany, at the Swiss border
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 19, 2022, 12:49:53 AM »
Does Mist separate fields? ???
No interest in 1st edition, but glad to help anyone looking for them. If you see something on ebay-kleinanzeigen.de and need someone to ship to your country, hit me up ^^

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 19, 2022, 01:14:23 AM »
Yes, the mist separates fields and you cannot place farmers in field segments covered in mist.
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline Challa007

• Viscount
  • Merit: 34
  • Fight, Flight, Freeze ..... or Play :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 05, 2022, 07:04:15 AM »
I have not yet seen any reports of gameplay of Mists over Carcassonne (the standalone game).
On Discord, I learned that apart from me, also Willem, Maiday and Stepukiss have already played it.

We all agree that we really like it!!

I will not write a gameplay report but I would like to share some thoughts:

It's a game where you are in a continuous dilemma of chosing between scoring points or making sure you have enough ghosts.
It's a game where building cities with meeples of at least 2 different colors is compulsory to win.

I think it's really well suited for 1 or 2 players.
One player plays with 4 colors; 2 players play with 2 colors each (so again 4 colors).
In both cases I recommend to use some kind of trick to remember which color is the current turn. Each color has only 3 meeples and you are easily out of meeples quickly and therefore loose track.

In level 3 we initially misinterpreted the rules of the cemetary.
What we did:
When scoring and given the choice to eliminate ghosts from one tile, we excluded the possibility to eliminate ghosts from the cemetery….  So we had ghosts piling up there and needed to close cemeteries quickly…
—-
The correct rule is that you can eliminate max 3 ghosts from any tile, so including a cemetary tile. Realising that made level 3 suddenly accessible.  :)

In any case I recommend using the back of the rules sheet with the correct order of gameplay. It is REALLY important and we refer back to it frequently.

Currently we are stuck at level 4. We win only in 10 % of the cases, so we definitely have not yet completely understood the strategy needed...    (any help is welcome !!!)
But anyway, that's not a problem. If we want to win a game, we can just go back to level 3.  >:D
The different levels are really nice for that!

Luck is a big factor, I feel. But that''s ok for us.

All in all, we really like to play it. When we have time, we even take the time to play a "quick" solo game to try to crack that dammed level 4 ....
Sometimes its really quick to loose. Can take only 5 minutes LOL

I would love to read feedback from others  :)

Offline Maiday

• Freeman
  • Merit: 2
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 05, 2022, 09:23:39 AM »
I think we have been playing it wrong

We assumed that in 2player we could use either colour meeple we had on our turn. This was due to us "losing" meeple in total. (12 meeple total 6 each compared to a 4 player game, 20 meeple total 5 each). This somehow alongside with it not being explicitly stated made us assume we could.place either colour on our turn.

Offline Challa007

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 05, 2022, 09:59:08 AM »
I think we have been playing it wrong

We assumed that in 2player we could use either colour meeple we had on our turn. This was due to us "losing" meeple in total. (12 meeple total 6 each compared to a 4 player game, 20 meeple total 5 each). This somehow alongside with it not being explicitly stated made us assume we could.place either colour on our turn.

hey, you may have a point here. I just re-read the rules and you are right: the rules do not indicate what to do...
We just assumed that we have to follow a color sequence in the turns....

What a mess   :(   we need @Meepledrone to clarify this with HiG. It looks to me like a HUGE gap in the rules.

The question is:
Solo play: can I choose any of the 4 colors at each turn?
Play with 2 players: Can each player chose any of their 2 colors at their turn?
Or is there a sequence for the colors (like if you play with 4 players)?

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
  • Merit: 48
    • View Profile
    • Divider cards for C1 & C2 / C3 both in French & English:
« Reply #201 on: November 05, 2022, 11:57:43 AM »
The game setup says: "Give each player (including yourself) 5 meeples in their chosen colour".

This means each player has their set of meeples and play with their own meeples.

As I understand it, for two/one player, the fact that you use meeples of different colours is only because there aren't enough meeples of a single colour. But there's no distinction between two colours owned by a single player during the game.

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #202 on: November 05, 2022, 01:04:38 PM »
The English rules specify that you get the points for each colour involved, not each player involved. So on that base, it would matter which colour you use, and for 2 player games, you can utilise the different colours you have in order to score more (joint) points

As I understand it, for two/one player, the fact that you use meeples of different colours is only because there aren't enough meeples of a single colour.
There are enough meeple for each player. 5 meeple per colour are available. But to avoid the 2 players having too many, you only get 3 of each colour. I see it as a way to still use multiple colours, as that is what joint scoring is checked for
Join me on the journey through the history and oddities of Carcassonne, on My Instagram
1 0 days since i've bought more Carcassonne

Offline Challa007

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 05, 2022, 01:06:49 PM »
Thanks for replying to this corinthiens13  :(y)

in the absence of any indication in the rules, mixing the colours might be what was intended - but it is still just interpretation....

... sigh... (I would certainly like to have official confirmation)

Anyway, if it is true, then the game gets much easier for one or two players.

Level 4 might be a piece of cake then  >:D >:D

Offline Challa007

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 05, 2022, 01:15:08 PM »
The English rules specify that you get the points for each colour involved, not each player involved. So on that base, it would matter which colour you use, and for 2 player games, you can utilise the different colours you have in order to score more (joint) points

As I understand it, for two/one player, the fact that you use meeples of different colours is only because there aren't enough meeples of a single colour.
There are enough meeple for each player. 5 meeple per colour are available. But to avoid the 2 players having too many, you only get 3 of each colour. I see it as a way to still use multiple colours, as that is what joint scoring is checked for

I completely agree with you that the 4 colours for 1 or 2 players are to be able to use multiple colours.
My question here was more if 1 or 2 players also have to observe colours sequence during their turns...

I get the impression that you all seem to agree that the 2 colours for one of the two players or the 4 colours for the one player will just be mixed together and the player can choose...

As I said in my previous post: this would make the game much easier  :D

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 05, 2022, 02:24:47 PM »
You're right Willem, I didn't see the note in level 6 rules : "Note: In the solo and 2-player games, take 1 meeple in each colour out of the game box instead." So you get points for each colour separately  :yellow-meeple:

The rules are really incomplete about this... Without any clarification, I'd guess there's no colour sequence during turn (it's understandable that there's no clarification about this if there's no specific colour sequence rule to observe, but if there was a colour sequence to observe, it wouldn't be understandable to forget it in the rules...)

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 05, 2022, 02:25:23 PM »
Anyway, the rules aren't clear and a clarification is indeed needed  :yellow-meeple:

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 06, 2022, 02:16:02 AM »
Two questions about level 3 to 6. The rules states that when assigning a hound to a meeple, you cannot assign it to a burried meeple. What if there's no meeple on board? Or only burried meeples?

Then, once a hound has been assigned to a meeple, the rules states that "A hound stays with the meeple you added them to until that meeple is scored." What happens with the hound if the meeple it is assigned to has to be burried?

Offline Challa007

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 06, 2022, 03:56:22 AM »
Two questions about level 3 to 6. The rules states that when assigning a hound to a meeple, you cannot assign it to a burried meeple. What if there's no meeple on board? Or only burried meeples?

The rules do not specify what to do ... sigh .... I would say in that case you cannot place the hound. It is lost.

Then, once a hound has been assigned to a meeple, the rules states that "A hound stays with the meeple you added them to until that meeple is scored." What happens with the hound if the meeple it is assigned to has to be burried?

This is in the rules (section cemeteries): you take the hound off the game. Again, it is lost.

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 06, 2022, 04:14:01 AM »
Thanks for your answer.  :yellow-meeple:

Since the rules states that you take the hound off when you burry the meeple it is assigned to, then I'd agree that it is also lost if there no meeple to assign it to, but an official clarification would be welcome.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
cheesy
The Barbarian Report: The Cathars' Revenge (Mists Over Carcassonne)

Started by Whaleyland

5 Replies
Last post January 31, 2023, 03:30:38 PM
by Whaleyland
clip
Ideas for additional levels for Mists over Carcassonne

Started by Buselaar

6 Replies
Last post April 05, 2023, 11:28:54 PM
by Challa007
xx
Clarifications of rules (Mists over Carcassonne) - with HiG - 12 11 2022

Started by Meepledrone

0 Replies
Last post November 15, 2022, 10:31:20 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
Helpful checklists for Mists over Carcassonne (standalone game)

Started by Challa007

23 Replies
Last post September 22, 2023, 10:37:47 AM
by Challa007
xx
First Mists Over Carcassonne Session Reports

Started by Whaleyland

10 Replies
Last post January 10, 2023, 06:05:18 AM
by Challa007