Author Topic: Carcassonne Hunters and Gatherers (2020) - moaning about new artwork... the story continues  (Read 2161 times)

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
The illustrations are beautiful althought not confortable to play.

Same situation was with Carcassonne C2 version. But when you for example start with C2, there is no difference for playing. Just for me, C1 of Carcassonne is no so nice as C2.

So, it's need time and I hope there will me some big and multiple small expansions for this spin-off

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=4841.0
Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Offline DrMeeple

• Baron
  • Merit: 33
  • I mix expansions at my own risk.
    • View Profile

Same situation was with Carcassonne C2 version. But when you for example start with C2, there is no difference for playing. Just for me, C1 of Carcassonne is no so nice as C2.

So, it's need time and I hope there will me some big and multiple small expansions for this spin-off

I respect your opinion but I’m not agree with you. C2 are not good to play... Your eyes could bleed with the colours. Hunters and gatheres new edition is better than C2 but not enough for me.
I mix expansions at my own risk.

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk

I respect your opinion but I’m not agree with you. C2 are not good to play... Your eyes could bleed with the colours. Hunters and gatheres new edition is better than C2 but not enough for me.

I understand. I talked witl multiple C1 players and they have same feeling, that for them is better to play C1 version.
But I talked also with multiple players of C2 and they have zero problems with new version.

I thing it's about habit.

Offline Drodo

• Duke
  • Merit: 1
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
I started playing on C2, that's how I met the game. Then I learned C1 existed and it was so much better.

I think they did the same mistake with the new H&G. Radioactive green and too many unecesary features. Visual contamination is a thing.

Offline DrMeeple

• Baron
  • Merit: 33
  • I mix expansions at my own risk.
    • View Profile
I started playing on C2, that's how I met the game. Then I learned C1 existed and it was so much better.

I think they did the same mistake with the new H&G. Radioactive green and too many unecesary features. Visual contamination is a thing.

Oh man! So true!!

Online DIN0

• Viscount
  • Merit: 37
  • Carcassonne is only complete with 11th expansion:)
    • View Profile
CII really is too visually noisy. That is a price to pay for more detailed graphics.
I believe certain design choices were made to make the game more readable, but I think it backfired.
Best example are pennants - they made them bigger and even highlighted them, but they get lost in the crowded cities. Whats more, when viewed from a distance, the new pennants are easily mistaken for the new "watertowers" - an addition to CII graphic that will be, no doubt, one day utilized by some expansion.

Original Hunters and gatherers had that relaxing autumn feel. This new one is too cartoony.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 01:36:40 PM by tp10053 »

Offline TheDoctor_13

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 1
  • I'll Claim This Farm
    • View Profile
For base Carcassonne, I prefer C2 myself. Partly because its what I entered the game with and I enjoyed it's design more.
- I love the Blue Roofs, which is closer to real Carcassonne
- The cities are more populated. They can feel a little busy but don't think it distracts from play-ability at all.
- Roads feel a bit more rutted in
- The extra graphical detail (Gardens and the like)

Now the new app, is too much in its design. I do think they maybe De-saturate C2 a little bit, like they started to change the cities from this really dark mud brown to a brighter dryer brown starting in Traders & Builders I think? I need to replace my copy of Base and Inns.

For Hunters & Gatherers, if you asked me before I played it I would've said I disliked C1's art. I have grown to appreciate it, its charming. I don't mind the new art, but it is too saturated like the app is. Forest and Meadows are fine, but those rivers need to be toned down, and overall feels a bit less readable. I'm likely still buying the new version for myself since it comes with extras built in and is easier to grab.

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
For base Carcassonne, I prefer C2 myself. Partly because its what I entered the game with and I enjoyed it's design more.
- I love the Blue Roofs, which is closer to real Carcassonne
- The cities are more populated. They can feel a little busy but don't think it distracts from play-ability at all.
- Roads feel a bit more rutted in
- The extra graphical detail (Gardens and the like)

Now the new app, is too much in its design. I do think they maybe De-saturate C2 a little bit, like they started to change the cities from this really dark mud brown to a brighter dryer brown starting in Traders & Builders I think? I need to replace my copy of Base and Inns.

For Hunters & Gatherers, if you asked me before I played it I would've said I disliked C1's art. I have grown to appreciate it, its charming. I don't mind the new art, but it is too saturated like the app is. Forest and Meadows are fine, but those rivers need to be toned down, and overall feels a bit less readable. I'm likely still buying the new version for myself since it comes with extras built in and is easier to grab.

absollute agree with your opition.
Only thing is to call C1 of H&G somehown different, maybe H&G1 but this can be misspeled with HiG.
Hmm any suggestions?

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
H&G1 sounds fine...  ;D
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
New official Carcassonne Hunters and Gatherers (2020)

Started by LaPorxada (aka BigBoss)

54 Replies
Last post October 24, 2020, 12:04:03 AM
by DrMeeple
clip
New edition of Hunters and Gatherers

Started by jungleboy

33 Replies
Last post July 13, 2015, 05:26:13 AM
by jungleboy
xx
New: Carcassonne: Hunters & Gatherers