Author Topic: UK Mini Teams Championship - Format & Rules  (Read 2174 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
UK Mini Teams Championship - Format & Rules
« on: February 08, 2022, 04:25:49 AM »
Overview

This competition is intended mostly to be a fun and friendly introduction to the format used more widely by Carcassonne.cat for the World/ European Online Teams Championships since 2020. It also serves to celebrate how widely Carcassonne is played with the UK, and to broaden the horizons of the existing UK team in the event that any new players would like to join us.

Teams

The “UK Mini Teams Championship” will consist of 6 teams. Each team will be captained by an existing member of the UK Carcassonne team and will include 4 other players.

Format

The competition will operate as a Round Robin between the teams, such that every team will play one match against every other team. Therefore, every team will get to play a total of 5 matches according to the following schedule (this has been updated to double the length of the first round):

• Mon 14/02/22 – Sun 27/02/22:   First Match
  • Mon 28/02/22 – Sun 06/03/22:   Second Match
  • Mon 07/03/22 – Sun 13/03/22:   Third Match
  • Mon 14/03/22 – Sun 20/03/22:   Fourth Match
  • Mon 21/03/22 – Sun 27/03/22:   Fifth Match

As it’s an online competition, we will be using www.boardgamearena.com (BGA) to play all matches. All players are expected to have their own account there (premium if possible, though not mandatory) and should preferably be familiar with BGA’s implementation of Carcassonne.

Matches

Each week, team captains will liaise between their teams and the captain of their opposing team for that week in order to establish a mutually convenient date/ time for the match. There are no restrictions on this beyond that the match should take place before the end of the week in order that the next week’s matches can begin on time. Once a date and time has been agreed upon, both captains will submit a lineup of 3 players (numbered from 1 to 3) to take part in that week’s match. The players featured on the lineup are expected to change from week to week and will likely depend on availability within the team. It also means that no single player is expected to take part in all 6 of their teams matches, but should take part in at least 1.

Duels

A match is won or lost based on the outcome of the 3 “duels” of which it consists. Each of the 3 numbered players on the lineup for each team will play a single duel against their opposite number on the other team. A duel is determined by the player that wins the best 2 out of 3 games of basic Carcassonne with no expansions. This means that a duel could consist of either 2 games if the same player wins the first two games, or 3 games if both players win one game each from the first 2 and go to a deciding game to settle the duel. In the case of a tied game, the player that went first is deemed to have lost given that they had an extra turn compared to their opponent (regardless of whether this was useful). The match isn’t considered complete until all 3 duels have been completed.

Leaderboard

Teams will be ranked on the leaderboard primarily according to big points (match wins) and then small points (duel wins) and finally by total number of games won minus total number of games lost. Once all teams have played their 5 matches and results have been updated, the team at the top of the leaderboard will be declared the winner!

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=5745.0
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 03:10:19 AM by danisthirty »

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
Re: UK Mini Teams Championship - Format & Rules
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2022, 07:02:27 AM »
Any penalty if a time clock goes negative?
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2022, 03:03:26 AM »
Any penalty if a time clock goes negative?

No, as that's a territory of unfriendliness that I'd prefer to stay away from. But do please try to stay positive, and encourage the rest of your team to do the same...

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2022, 03:32:10 AM »
Happy Valentine's day :-* ::)

This can mean only one thing: the UK Mini Teams Championship is finally underway! :(y)

Firstly, please allow me to introduce our six awesome teams:

...along with our schedule of fixtures for the next few weeks:

By and large we will be sticking with carcassonne.cat's rules unless I've otherwise specified. So for example, home teams should make sure that they have a premium member in slots 1 and 3, and the away team should have a premium player in slot 2. The players in these slots (1 and 3 for home, 2 for away) should also be the players that invite their opponents to the match. Please explain this to your teams captains, or check with me if it still isn't clear ;)

Please also note that players are requested to stick within their allocated time and not to let it go negative. A gentle nudge on the chat may be appropriate if this happens, or is drawing near, but I'm hoping that we can avoid any situations where players lose by default on account of time. We'll judge it on a case by case basis if it becomes a problem though.

Also, players are reminded that while this is a friendly, online competition, matches are expected to be played under the same conditions as a real-life game. This means there is to be no assistance from anyone else during your matches, and all tile-counting is expected to be done in your head rather than on paper or using any kind of app or plugin; these are strictly forbidden.

Please post here if there are any other questions or anything I haven't been clear about. Otherwise, let the games commence! :blue-meeple: :green-meeple: :red-meeple: :yellow-meeple: :black1-meeple: :(y)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 09:02:21 AM by danisthirty »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2022, 09:10:28 AM »
We begin Round 3 this week with three more action-packed matches.

I didn't publish the league table at the end of the first round, but here's how things are looking at the end of Round 2:

It's looking pretty sad for my superawesomeherocooldudes who are yet to win a single duel, but I remain confident that it's never too late to make a difference! There's not much separating Jackface's "Meeple Just Do Nothing" (a team name that's {probably} so cool even I don't understand it) and wallaceprime's "Medieval Town Planners" so this will surely be an important week/ round to separate the meeples and the... also, meeples. :red-meeple: ???

Good luck to all teams! (especially the superawesomeherocooldude ones)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 09:20:35 AM by danisthirty »

Offline dronedrone

• Vassal
  • Merit: 6
  • Updated my profile have I.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2022, 01:32:26 AM »
Jackface's "Meeple Just Do Nothing" (a team name that's {probably} so cool even I don't understand it)

Treat yourself by watching the whole series Dan...   https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b062r9t5/people-just-do-nothing
The owls are not what they seem

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
UK Carcassonne: Mini Teams Tournament... places available!

Started by danisthirty

1 Replies
Last post February 04, 2022, 07:21:06 AM
by danisthirty
xx
Tournament format

Started by Scott

1 Replies
Last post March 04, 2013, 01:42:44 PM
by kettlefish
xx
Carcassonne Big Box with new tile format?

Started by JohannesD

68 Replies
Last post August 25, 2022, 03:59:31 AM
by Bumsakalaka
xx
Carcassonne Dream Teams

Started by danisthirty

129 Replies
Last post June 10, 2016, 09:17:51 AM
by Hounk
xx
Carcassonne with Teams of 2 (or more players)

Started by Halfling

6 Replies
Last post November 05, 2017, 05:07:00 AM
by SamoolSamosa