Author Topic: Farmers, Pigs, and Barns  (Read 2474 times)

Offline PapaGeek

• Count
  • Merit: 18
  • The box needs a highly addictive warning label
    • View Profile
Farmers, Pigs, and Barns
« on: September 01, 2021, 12:44:26 PM »
Just want to verify if I understand the rules properly.

Case 1: If I place a farmer in a field, at the end of the game I will get 3 points for each completed city that touches that field.  If during the game someone places a barn in that field, the field is scored immediately, “just as it would be at the end of the game.”  In other words I immediately get my 3 points per city and I get my meeple back.  Then at the end of the game, the player who placed the barn will get 4 points per city.

Case 2: If another field is connected to the barn field during the game, the added field will also be scored immediately, but for only 1 point per city, not 3, and again at the end of the game the player with the barn will get 4 points per city.

OK, now for the questions that are not clear to me.  What happens when the fields that are taken over by the barn also have a pig on them?  Normally, if during the game I place my pig in the field with my farmer I will get 4 points for each completed city at the end of the game. In case 1, when the barn is placed in the field with my farmer and pig, do I immediately get 4 points instead of 3 per city (“just as it would be at the end of the game”) and get my meeple and pig back? And in case 2, when a field with a farmer and a pig is connected to a barn field during the game will I get 2 points instead of 1 per city and then get my meeple and pig back?

As I read the rules, Case 1 does give me 4 points per city, but Case 2 is questionable if I get 2 points instead of 1.

PS: edited after reading this, I do realize that it is the player(s) with the most meeples that get the points, my questions are about how many points do they get, not who gets them.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=5454.0
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 01:16:58 PM by PapaGeek »
Totally addicted to this game

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
  • Merit: 48
    • View Profile
    • Divider cards for C1 & C2 / C3 both in French & English:
Re: Farmers, Pigs, and Barns
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2021, 01:13:09 PM »
Your interpretation seems correct for every cases (1 and 2 plus 4 pts when placing a barn and 2 pts when connecting a field with a barn)  :yellow-meeple:

Did you verify on wikicarpedia.com? I'm pretty sure those cases are clarified there  :yellow-meeple:

Offline PapaGeek

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 01:18:07 PM »
Did not see them clarified in CAR, other than the quoted/highlighted prhase.

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2021, 01:51:11 PM »
Do not use CAR, it is outdated. Use wikicarpedia.com that is kept updated with the latest clarifications  :yellow-meeple:

It is all clarified on this page: https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Abbey_and_the_Mayor

In "Other expansions" section:
If you have the majority in a field where a barn is placed, you score 1 additional point per completed city (4 points total) if your pig is in that field. Furthermore, if you have the majority in a field that becomes connected to a field occupied by a barn, you score 1 additional point per completed city (2 points total) if your pig is in that field.

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2021, 03:40:04 PM »
You can find a scoring summary for barns here on WICA:

https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Abbey_and_the_Mayor#Scoring_summary

It covers different scenarios including:
* Cities (Base Game)
* Castles (Exp. 8)
* Pig (Exp. 2)
* Pig-Herd (featured in River II, part of Exp. 6)
* Besieged cities (Cathars / Siege / Besiegers) - classic edition only for the time being

Hope this helps.

Note: The CAR v7.4 (the PDF document from 5/2015) included this information on pages 65-67. The document is available here and mainly covers the classic edition:
https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=292
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 03:49:09 PM by Meepledrone »
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2021, 11:12:29 PM »
As I said. It will be good to publish some summary CAR 8.0 from WikiCarpedia and give there info that this WiCa is ancestor of CAR and check new rules on WiCa.

This is never ending issue for years.

But it is not in CAR. Of course not, it's from 2015.

Odoslané z SM-A202F pomocou Tapatalku
Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Offline PapaGeek

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2021, 03:53:06 AM »
Do not use CAR, it is outdated. Use wikicarpedia.com that is kept updated with the latest clarifications  :yellow-meeple:

It is all clarified on this page: https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Abbey_and_the_Mayor

In "Other expansions" section:
If you have the majority in a field where a barn is placed, you score 1 additional point per completed city (4 points total) if your pig is in that field. Furthermore, if you have the majority in a field that becomes connected to a field occupied by a barn, you score 1 additional point per completed city (2 points total) if your pig is in that field.
Corinthiens13, thank you for that Quote and link, but, I think the bullet point after that quote deserves some definite mention here:
“You can place your pig on a tile that connects your farmer to a barn. After scoring your pig, return it to your supply.”
Q&A:
Question: May the pig be placed in a field that was just connected to a field with a barn, i.e. on the newly placed tile (immediately before scoring)?
Answer: Yes, the pig may be placed in already occupied features [and phase 2. Placing a meeple still happens normally].

This seems to indicate that I could also have a second farm that is next to the farm where I already placed my barn.  If I can place a tile that will connect my second farm to my barn, I can place the tile, then place my pig on that tile, then score all of the cities as 2 points instead of 1 point, then return my pig to my supply. Then, ... find a way to do it again!

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2021, 04:09:40 AM »
That's it, and other players may do the same by using your barn too.

Don't forget that you return your pig AND meeple from the farm when scoring it 2pts/city.
To do it again, you have to place a meeple to a new farm, then the pig and connect it to the barn's farm.

Anyway, this is why I never play with the barn, if well used, it is too powerful  :yellow-meeple:

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2021, 06:31:44 AM »
We Played in czech forum Carcassonne Liga (League) where every month we add to basic game one of expansions.
When we played Basic Game with Bars, it was always that fields of bards was connected in 90% of games. It totally change strategy of game, and you have to count other features if possible but not to create mutch towns, because when opponents will connect to your firld, you will loose a lot of points.
I can said that one issue with Barns is good, that when joined fields, then you know, that you get always the same points then opponents, because there is no such as majority counting for barns. So you have just to count with it.
Aaa, I checked results. We play borth Tower and Abbey expansions. And I won this month :D Maybe this is reason why I like them (barns) ? :D

Offline PapaGeek

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2021, 06:37:29 AM »
Yes, barns do seem very powerful, but even though my group is a bunch of relative newbies, we have all learned how to both join in on someone else’s feature, road, city, or farm, and also to overpower the other players using more meeples and/or their Mayor.

The barn and pig will make the farms more interesting because once a barn is there, you can join in on the end of game super bonus, but you can’t steal it or lose it!  If I connect my barn farm with your barn farm, we both own it equally, one barn each, and I don’t see any rules that allow anyone to overpower anyone else for barn ownership.

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2021, 11:53:43 AM »
Indeed. Expansion 5 is very powerfull at all and adding a lot of new meeples and figures can overwrite whole strategy before (or without for experienced players) this expansion.
It's pitty that thay add a lot of things to this one expansion. For this I like more expansions like 3 Princess and Dragon or 9 Sheep and Hills or 10 Big Top. Those expansions are more balanced.

Offline cicerunner

• Duke
  • Merit: 5
  • 2020 meeple vision
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2021, 10:24:05 PM »
Indeed. Expansion 5 is very powerful at all and adding a lot of new meeples and figures can overwrite whole strategy [...] It's pity that they add a lot of things to this one expansion. For this I like more expansions like 3 Princess and Dragon or 9 Sheep and Hills or 10 Big Top. Those expansions are more balanced.
I don't have experience with 3 or 9 but I agree that 5 and 10 add a lot of elements. And I agree that - those I have experience of at least - can lead to significant changes of strategy:
Barn - as has been described elevates the importance of farms even more
Ringmaster - is a high scoring meeple  and one that I try to cycle into play as often as possible; much like the Builder from 2

I'm guessing that the 'lead characters' from 3 and 9 don't have such a pronounced impact because they are tied to tiles with the appropriate symbols coming out? (This from memory, I think this is possibly why I chose not to include them in my collection; because there is more tile draw luck in scoring in these?)

In summary (of a point I probably haven't made yet!) I don't think that any of the expansions are more or less balanced, in that all change play style to make the best of what they offer. But some are definitely more significant in their effect. As to curating my games, in general I treat each expansion as a collection of modules and add those modules individually rather than considering each expansion as something that needs to be added whole. For example I have never played with the Wagon from 5 and earlier this week played a game of Base + River + Spiel 2020 + Abbey & Mayor landscape tiles + Mayor. (We also added 3 Abbeys; 2 for my youngest daughter, 1 for my eldest and 0 for me. :) )

Anyway, not sure I have added much but it is fun to talk Carcassonne with you all. :)

Offline kothmann

• Viscount
  • Merit: 92
  • Oh! That’s interesting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2021, 05:22:21 AM »
I treat each expansion as a collection of modules and add those modules individually rather than considering each expansion as something that needs to be added whole.
Great recipe.  Add house rules to taste!

We also added 3 Abbeys; 2 for my youngest daughter, 1 for my eldest and 0 for me.
Who won?!  I like “dynamic handicapping” for kids: in the next game, the previous winner gets one fewer Abbey and the previous loser gets one more.  Dad always gets none.

Anyway, not sure I have added much but it is fun to talk Carcassonne with you all. :)
Nice to see you back on the Forum.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Barns Farmers and Pigs

Started by RubyDoo

5 Replies
Last post June 27, 2022, 06:26:59 AM
by Meepledrone
question
The Pigs & The Barns – Element Match-Ups #19

Started by Whaleyland

3 Replies
Last post January 31, 2016, 02:32:43 AM
by Hounk
xx
Pigs and Pig herd tile

Started by cidervampire

4 Replies
Last post December 18, 2022, 06:05:05 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
Why can't you capture pigs and builders with a tower?

Started by joe_abbot

3 Replies
Last post January 06, 2023, 08:21:44 AM
by kothmann
xx
Messenger - Score a follower and remove it from the board - 2 farmers

Started by Allan in Brisbane

2 Replies
Last post January 31, 2017, 02:06:49 PM
by Allan in Brisbane