Author Topic: Printing and binding all rules  (Read 2035 times)

Offline tiko013

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Printing and binding all rules
« on: March 10, 2021, 05:22:48 AM »
Good afternoon,

I'm fairly new to this forum, figured this place might be the best place to ask!

I'm nearing completion of my (new edition) Carcassonne collection (still missing the Spiel Promos, Crop Circles and Ferries). I'm often exploring and learning on my own (or with max 1 companion) and we still need to clarify/understand portions of the rules sometimes.

I'm struggling with about 20 loose booklets and it becomes a administrative mess sometimes. On this forum I found the complete annotated rules and I started to think it would be a nice idea to print the complete book and make it fit into a nice folder. That way every expansion can be divided with tabs and is easy to pick up and search for something quick.

Let me say this first: The Complete Annotated Rules is an amazing sum-up and has some great house rules and tips. But when owning the new version, the 7.4 version of the rule book is based the old edition and is (logically) missing Under The Big Top and more recent mini expansions.

I'm asking for your advice. The total printing costs are around 20/25eu so I want to do it right from the start. What will be the best option and am I missing something important to print out?

(I also found out that the Wikicarpedia has explanations of the new edition and printable versions of every expansions page. Maybe a combination of 7.4 and Wiki is an option?)

Thanks in advance!

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=5106.0

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
  • Merit: 48
    • View Profile
    • Divider cards for C1 & C2 / C3 both in French & English:
Re: Printing and binding all rules
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 05:33:19 AM »
Good afternoon,

I'm fairly new to this forum, figured this place might be the best place to ask!

I'm nearing completion of my (new edition) Carcassonne collection (still missing the Spiel Promos, Crop Circles and Ferries). I'm often exploring and learning on my own (or with max 1 companion) and we still need to clarify/understand portions of the rules sometimes.

I'm struggling with about 20 loose booklets and it becomes a administrative mess sometimes. On this forum I found the complete annotated rules and I started to think it would be a nice idea to print the complete book and make it fit into a nice folder. That way every expansion can be divided with tabs and is easy to pick up and search for something quick.

Let me say this first: The Complete Annotated Rules is an amazing sum-up and has some great house rules and tips. But when owning the new version, the 7.4 version of the rule book is based the old edition and is (logically) missing Under The Big Top and more recent mini expansions.

I'm asking for your advice. The total printing costs are around 20/25eu so I want to do it right from the start. What will be the best option and am I missing something important to print out?

(I also found out that the Wikicarpedia has explanations of the new edition and printable versions of every expansions page. Maybe a combination of 7.4 and Wiki is an option?)

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

Nice to meet you !  :yellow-meeple:

The CAR 7.4 hasn't been updated since may 2015 and so it is outdated. It misses a lot of mini expansions, the 10th expansion, and some rules are outdated as Hans im Gluek provided some new clarifications about interraction between expansions.
WICA (Wikicarpedia) is based on the CAR 7.4, but it is still updated.

Try using those pages on WICA that are helpful to provide a summary of rules when combining expansions:

Hope this helps  :yellow-meeple:

Edit: Note that WICA has to be updated for messages, watchtowers, double tiles and halflings rules, clarifications from HiG are on the way  ;)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 05:38:10 AM by corinthiens13 »

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 05:35:42 AM »
Oh, and if you speak French, here's an order of play in french with every major expansions, minis and promos, printable as one single booklet:
http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=346

(this file exists only in French, sorry  :yellow-meeple: )
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 06:16:10 AM by corinthiens13 »

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 07:21:02 AM »
I wish we had those pending clarifications faster so we could update all the exapnsions involved in WICA. HiG has been silent for more than a month now. They must be pretty bust with the 20th Anniversary edition.  :'(
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 07:27:31 AM »
As corinthiens13 says, The C1 pages in WICA are based on the CAR v7.4 plus additional clarifications that happened later. The C2 pages are based on the new rules but adding those applicable clarifications from C1.

There are only a few changes in rules between C1 and C2, as you can see here (wagons, halflings and a few odds and ends not taking into consideration the mistranslations by ZMG):
https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Summary_of_Rule_Sets_%26_Changes

The information on WICA is not as optimized for printing as the CAR v7.4 since, HTML (and the MediaWiki engine) has looser layout rules... One of our initial goals was to create nice PDF printable pages, but this requires to tweak the current layout and bend some rules. I hope to get there soon.

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2021, 07:29:28 AM »
I wish we had those pending clarifications faster so we could update all the exapnsions involved in WICA. HiG has been silent for more than a month now. They must be pretty bust with the 20th Anniversary edition.  :'(

I'm waiting on those clarifications to update my French order of play too  ::)

Counting on you Meepledrone  :yellow-meeple:

Offline totec55

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2021, 08:42:26 AM »
Hi tiko013.

While it does not encompass all of the expansions, I would recommend a copy of the newest "Big Box" rules. It includes the rules and basic play sequence for the following all in one pamphlet.

Base Game
Farmers
The River
The Abbot
Inns & Cathedrals
Traders & Builders
The Flying Machines
The Messengers
The Ferries
The Gold Mines
Mage & Witch
The Robbers
The Crop Circles

https://images.zmangames.com/filer_public/a3/a8/a3a8701b-dc6e-4e1d-9e26-277d45eb93c8/carcbb6_rule_eng_final.pdf

Offline Allograft

• Marquis
  • Merit: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2021, 09:52:58 AM »
Why would anyone want a consolidated resource? It's so much more convoluted to do what I do and play a combo of 7.4, instruction manuals, and WICA. That way, I try new rules until someone in my family catches an inconsistency and then I come here and people direct me to the correct current rule. Then my family calls me a cheater. It's a barrel of laughs! Maybe, it's just me. Merit to corinthiens13 for wisdom -  :pink-meeple:

« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 09:55:53 AM by Allograft »

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2021, 10:29:29 AM »
Why would anyone want a consolidated resource? It's so much more convoluted to do what I do and play a combo of 7.4, instruction manuals, and WICA. That way, I try new rules until someone in my family catches an inconsistency and then I come here and people direct me to the correct current rule. Then my family calls me a cheater. It's a barrel of laughs! Maybe, it's just me. Merit to corinthiens13 for wisdom -  :pink-meeple:

Ha ha  ;D

I had the same problem of false rule - > new rule - > beeing called a cheater  :yellow-meeple:

And CAR do not exists in French, so I decided to create my own french order of play, scoring during turn and scoring after turn booklet, for my personal use, and then I uploaded it here.
With time, corrections and suggestions from Meepledrone, Gagoune and Black Bear the booklet grew bigger, better looking, and more precise about every interaction.

But my family still calls me a cheater when I open the rulebook to explain a rule, as I'm its author  ;D ;D ;D

Thanks for the merit  ;)

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2021, 12:18:34 PM »
Everybody arround @Meepledrone are making very good job.
Currently there are three basic pages which you can open, and store to PDF or print.
https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Order_of_Play
https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Scoring_During_Turn_Sequence
https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Scoring_After_the_Game

You can select all your expansions if you prefer C1 or C2 rules.

It's pitty that Orter of Play and Scoring During Turn Sequence is not combined, due some of scoring issues are shared in Order of Play because it makes part of turn.

But we will see hat HiG brings with redefinition of turn sequence. We are still waiting... and waiting... and I don't want be a postman of bad news, but 20 Anniversary will be published maybe before we got answer :(
Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Offline Allograft

• Marquis
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2021, 01:10:24 PM »

But my family still calls me a cheater when I open the rulebook to explain a rule, as I'm its author  ;D ;D ;D

That is beyond awesome -  :pink-meeple:

Offline Allograft

• Marquis
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2021, 01:11:50 PM »
and I don't want be a postman of bad news, but 20 Anniversary will be published maybe before we got answer :(

At least you're not the person delivering the court papers for a divorce -  :pink-meeple:

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2021, 02:06:44 PM »
and I don't want be a postman of bad news, but 20 Anniversary will be published maybe before we got answer :(

At least you're not the person delivering the court papers for a divorce -  :pink-meeple:

I hope so :D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Have: NIB all minis,GQ11 Catap,+stuff Want: Tunnel/besiegers/cathars (as all do)

Started by What If?

2 Replies
Last post January 17, 2018, 01:59:23 AM
by danisthirty
xx
Complete Annotated Rules v. 7.0, 2nd printing

Started by obervet

65 Replies
Last post November 08, 2014, 11:06:22 PM
by danisthirty
xx
Printing and trimming Carcassonne fan-expansion tiles

Started by PapaGeek

0 Replies
Last post August 02, 2023, 07:11:00 AM
by PapaGeek
xx
Need advice for printing fan made expansions, and which are the best?

Started by Poron90

14 Replies
Last post June 29, 2015, 12:36:40 PM
by lomdr
xx
Why aren’t the rule verified before printing?

Started by PapaGeek

4 Replies
Last post February 27, 2022, 02:17:29 PM
by kettlefish