Author Topic: Moving the dragon  (Read 3265 times)

Offline coldhands

• Freeman
  • Merit: 1
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Moving the dragon
« on: April 28, 2020, 09:57:13 PM »
Are we (the group with I play) the only one who move the dragon before MTW?

I think it make more sense

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=4620.0
Working on fan expansion: Dark Tower of city defence, the Dictator, the Rocker

Offline DrMeeple

• Baron
  • Merit: 33
  • I mix expansions at my own risk.
    • View Profile
Re: Moving the dragon
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 11:25:11 PM »
Do you know wikicarpedia? You can find the answer about your question. :)

Enviado desde St. Meeple Hospital

I mix expansions at my own risk.

Offline coldhands

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 11:53:49 PM »
Acording to both the first and second edition of the rules, you move the wood before the dragon. But i play the other way around. So my question was: is there other people who play that way or are we the only group?

Offline DrMeeple

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 12:07:05 AM »
Ok I understand the question now, sorry. In my opinion I prefer the official rules. This variant has no sense for me. Maybe some groups doing this too but I don't.

Offline Sinscerly

• Viscount
  • Merit: 30
  • Loving to play.
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia - Wiki-CAR
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 12:39:22 AM »
Well, we play with. So place the tile, move the wood, move the dragon and score.

Okay question for you: so if I move first the dragon, can I place a meeple still? It is my right to place a meeple on that tile if possible or move a fairy?

After that I'm still aloud to have something scored. So it makes it even more difficult and in my opion unbalanced.

That's my thoughts about it. Official rules give the player the opportunity of placing a meeple,before the move.
"What things can you find? Things that are hidden?
Do you know The WikiCarpedia?

Offline DrMeeple

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 12:45:47 AM »
Well, we play with. So place the tile, move the wood, move the dragon and score.

Okay question for you: so if I move first the dragon, can I place a meeple still? It is my right to place a meeple on that tile if possible or move a fairy?

After that I'm still aloud to have something scored. So it makes it even more difficult and in my opion unbalanced.

That's my thoughts about it. Official rules give the player the opportunity of placing a meeple,before the move.
So true!! I don't know if he choose this way because he confused the order of play on the rules or becasue he wants to change the order of play by his own...

Offline coldhands

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2020, 12:55:36 AM »
There the way we play

Place the tile
Move the dragon
Move the wood
Scoring

I found that moving the wood before the dragon give more power to the player who play the dragon tile, and thus, making absolute the strategic placement of the faery (by the player playing before the active one)

Is that make sense?

Offline DrMeeple

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2020, 01:00:56 AM »
There the way we play

Place the tile
Move the dragon
Move the wood
Scoring

I found that moving the wood before the dragon give more power to the player who play the dragon tile, and thus, making absolute the strategic placement of the faery (by the player playing before the active one)

Is that make sense?
The player who plays the dragon shares the movement with the rest of the players.

Offline coldhands

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2020, 01:40:27 AM »
I know

But lets say that the dragon is on a tile just beside one of my meeple. During my turn, I move the faery to protect that meeple from the dragon (a defensive move indeed) just in case that the next player will draw a dragon tile.

According to the official rule, my move will be in vein if the active player (who draw a dragon tile) move the faery during his moving the wood phase.

That the principal reason we play that way. And I think that the dragon should be more like a "unpredictable" even, thus not allowing the active player to have the opportunity to move the faery before the dragon.

Offline DrMeeple

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2020, 02:08:39 AM »
I know

But lets say that the dragon is on a tile just beside one of my meeple. During my turn, I move the faery to protect that meeple from the dragon (a defensive move indeed) just in case that the next player will draw a dragon tile.

According to the official rule, my move will be in vein if the active player (who draw a dragon tile) move the faery during his moving the wood phase.

That the principal reason we play that way. And I think that the dragon should be more like a "unpredictable" even, thus not allowing the active player to have the opportunity to move the faery before the dragon.
I see but in my opinion this change the expansion an irregular game.

Offline Sinscerly

• Viscount
  • Merit: 30
  • Loving to play.
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia - Wiki-CAR
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2020, 04:21:05 AM »
I know

I can understand that choice, but see it like this:

I can only give the starting direction, the rest of the players decide the rest (till it's my turn again to move) so I have the power because I pulled that tile. Otherwise I put the tile on a very long road where my opponent have a meeple on. I move the dragon kill his meeple place my meeple on his road and perhaps score it. This makes the game totally different then all the other expansions and very unreal for playing.

Offline DrMeeple

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2020, 04:42:32 AM »
I know

I can only give the starting direction, the rest of the players decide the rest (till it's my turn again to move) so I have the power because I pulled that tile. Otherwise I put the tile on a very long road where my opponent have a meeple on. I move the dragon kill his meeple place my meeple on his road and perhaps score it. This makes the game totally different then all the other expansions and very unreal for playing.
Exacly!!! Bravo!!

Enviado desde mi XT1700 mediante Tapatalk

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2020, 06:12:27 AM »
I played it once moving the dragon after 1. Placing a tile and it was even more frustrating than the normal rules. You could not prepare yourself for what's to come when the dragon starts to move.

When moving the dragon after 2. Placing the meeple, this allows you to move the fairy or score something (an abbot or a shepherd in danger) and say a little prayer for your other figures.  ;)
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline coldhands

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2020, 08:32:47 PM »
I know

Hum, I see your point.

I will give a thought and ask the other players about this

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Keeping the game moving...

Started by rfielder

13 Replies
Last post April 16, 2014, 12:55:18 PM
by quevy
xx
Moving the fairy (castles and wagons)

Started by NGC 54

12 Replies
Last post February 19, 2024, 12:58:40 PM