Author Topic: Do you dream of boardgames?  (Read 3743 times)

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Do you dream of boardgames?
« on: January 03, 2018, 01:51:50 AM »
Another great discussion topic:

Do you dream of boardgames?
Do you play boardgames in your dreams?
What happens when you do?
What do you think it all means?
Do you dream at all?

I'm in work at the moment, but had an interesting dream over New Years 2017 which I'll share later  :(y)

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3746.0

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
Re: Do you dream of boardgames?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 01:02:07 PM »
I do dream but not about board games, sorry.
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • Merit: 26
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 04:15:28 PM »
Decar this is absolutely the strangest happenstance, you might not believe  :o

I'm going to go into a little bit of detail because of the coincidence.

Not last night but the night before, (Monday), I dreamt that I had met up with you and Danisthirty and I was teaching you both how to play 42, (we have never met personally and I would be surprised if you've even heard of the game)! One thing that doesn't quite work but didn't interfere in the dream is that this is a team game, 2v2. That was just about the extent of the dream.

Funny enough I wondered if you should even post about it ... crazy you bring up the topic!

(Quickly just for background info, 42 is played with a standard double 6 dominoes set and has no familiarity whatsoever to the tile laying basic game. One can look it up on BGG but 42 is my favourite trick taking game. In the game you have a hand of seven dominoes and these are played like playing cards. I might do a mini highlight review for more details.)

It's not the first time I've dreamt of board games. I have certainly dreamt about playing Carcassonne more than once. I'm sure other games as well. I seem to have very regular and sometimes very vivid dreams.

I think for me it shows how much I think about board games in a given day, its not surprising it comes out at night.
Franks

Wanna play Carc? Can we add just one more expansion?

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 12:19:15 AM »
Wow that is pretty coincidental, I only started the thread because JungleBoy mentioned his surreal dream on another thread.  Perhaps he was the mystery 4th player (no doubt he was shuffling the cards for Medici to play with Dan, which explains why he wasn't there).  I'd not heard of 42, but it sounds like a fun trick-taking game.  Maybe one day we'll all get the chance to play it together - I don't suppose you fancy a trip to Germany in July?

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • Merit: 26
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 06:05:42 AM »
Wow that is pretty coincidental, I only started the thread because JungleBoy mentioned his surreal dream on another thread.  Perhaps he was the mystery 4th player (no doubt he was shuffling the cards for Medici to play with Dan, which explains why he wasn't there).  I'd not heard of 42, but it sounds like a fun trick-taking game.  Maybe one day we'll all get the chance to play it together - I don't suppose you fancy a trip to Germany in July?

July is doubtful but I'm still hopeful for Essen Fair next year. We have a wedding on the East Coast here so that might mess with those plans!

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 06:15:45 AM »
I do dream but not about board games, sorry.

Then you're not playing enough :)

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 07:13:26 AM »
I played carcassonne amazon, carcassonne star wars, king domino, qwirkle, tsuro of the seas, transamerica and talisman in one sitting last week. No dreams about board games. How many until I hit REM?

Offline Dragonlord

• Count
  • Merit: 15
  • More complex is, more I like it.
    • View Profile
    • Land of Dragons
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 07:43:16 AM »
Dream or think about boardgame, only the one I'm working on it since two months.  :black1-meeple:
It's the reason that I'm so quiet in fan-made expansion.  :)

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 11:09:08 AM »
I guess, it's likely I'm dreaming about board games, as it's gotten a prominent hobby of me in recent years and it would be odd, if I wouldn't, given the time I spent on them. However, I always instantly forget my dreams. I only know, when I did dream the moment I wake up, but never, what I dreamed.

Offline wolnic

• Authors
  • Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 207
  • Ummm and Ahhh! Can't decide!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2018, 01:16:06 PM »
I may not dream about them, but after playing several games of Carc of an evening, I have had trouble getting to sleep because all I see are square tiles ... maybe should try counting the sheep tokens?
AutumnForest (C2), Catch Of The Day (C1/2/WD), Cliffs&W'falls (C1/2), Coast (C1/2), FishHuts (C2), Fluvium (C2), NewForest (C2), Harvest (C1/2), Stone Circles (C1/2), Wells (C2), Jordan River 2 (AotC), River I/II (GR)
Devt: Sakura (C2), WinterEdge (C1), WinterCoast (WD/WE) and others

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2018, 07:01:04 AM »
I may not dream about them, but after playing several games of Carc of an evening, I have had trouble getting to sleep because all I see are square tiles ... maybe should try counting the sheep tokens?

This reminds me of my dad one telling me that he had played Populus so much, that while watching Countryfile on a Sunday morning, he was envisioning using the 'Raise and Lower Land' intervention to level the landscape for building  :(y)

I had to stop playing Point and Click adventures too, because I started getting compulsions (which I never acted on I should qualify) to steal useful looking items  :(y)

My dream however, was on New Year's morning 2017.  I rarely recall my dreams, but on this particular sleep, enough variables were aligned for me to remember specific details.  Namely: We were staying the night at a friends, at near zero temperatures, having consumed a quantity of artisan-beer the evening before & also discovered our bed was infested with bedbugs when we awoke :-\ :-[
Prior to waking, I was attending an unveiling of a brand new Carcassonne spin-off at a non-specific boardgame cafe.  From what I recall the box was vividly Red/Yellow/Purple (a bit like a creme-egg).  I have some specific details about the mechanics and theme which I may share as a fan-expansion one day.  But prior to the game rules being explicitly outlined, I managed to knock over a huge stand of plastic gemstones.  It all meant, that I was spending a huge amount of time picking up a near-endless pile of these stupid stones, causing me to miss the game's introduction.

It's interesting how the brain creates narative to avoid it providing information it clearly doesn't have  ;D
However, I had enough to go on to consider producing a Carcassonne-themed spin-off, currently it's just missing a core mechanical niche.  I hope one day to stumble upon a cognitive jolt I need to complete it, but hopefully via a different means!

Edit: Post 4444 - whoot

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Boardgames shops in Brugge Belgium

Started by Miso

10 Replies
Last post February 24, 2018, 04:42:33 PM
by Decar
xx
Boardgames ranked by BGG plays: 2004 - 2021

Started by danisthirty

3 Replies
Last post January 10, 2022, 02:33:25 PM
by Bumsakalaka
xx
Carcassonne Dream Teams

Started by danisthirty

129 Replies
Last post June 10, 2016, 09:17:51 AM
by Hounk
xx
My Impossible Dream...

Started by Reggie777

9 Replies
Last post February 11, 2015, 11:47:24 AM
by rfielder
xx
Just when you thought YOU were winning...

Started by danisthirty

9 Replies
Last post November 21, 2014, 05:54:18 AM
by BabyGamer