Author Topic: Found thrift copy of Downfall of Pompeii by Klaus - Jurgen Wrede  (Read 4275 times)

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • Merit: 26
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
Found thrift copy of Downfall of Pompeii by Klaus - Jurgen Wrede
« on: February 10, 2016, 06:25:44 PM »
Hi Gang just wanted to share this sweet find.

It is the German edition and I have already found and printed English rules. Funny enough I was strongly looking at picking this reprinted title recently and am glad I held off. The copy is unplayed and unpunched. Has anyone played this and have opinion on it?

Today was an exceptional day I also Thifted a German copy of, The End of the Triumvirate. Another title with good ratings. Again I was able to sort out the rules and other translated bits, (also looks unplayed).

Someone must have unloaded their Euro collection because at this same location today was all of the following:

Catan 3rd Edition
Catan Cities and Knights 3rd Edition
Catan Seafareres 3rd Edition
Catan Fisherman (mini expansion in shrink in the Seafarers box.)
Catan The Great River (mini expansion in shrink in the Seafarers box.)
Catan Seafarers 3rd Edition 5/6 player
Catan 4th Edition
Catan Cities and Knights 4th Edition
Catan Cities and Knights 5/6 PLAYER 4th Edition

The price of this altogether was far less than what you would pay now for the New Catan.

Finding this all at once is a rare find - thankfully  ;)

I think I've asked this before but any thrifters out there? Any good finds lately?

If you do Thrift I hope your wife is as patient as mine. You might either be amazed or horrified by the collection in my basement  :o

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2436.0
Franks

Wanna play Carc? Can we add just one more expansion?

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Re: Found thrift copy of Downfall of Pompeii by Klaus - Jurgen Wrede
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 10:25:17 PM »
Congrats franks, it sounds as though that little lot should keep you busy for a while! :(y)

I don't really visit charity shops in the UK very often, not for boardgames anyway. We get kids toys every now and again, and I usually have a glance at what they've got but I've never encountered anything more interesting than a couple of obscurely themed versions of Monopoly and about 10 games based on TV quiz shows.

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 11:26:00 PM »
I found Stratego. It was supposed to have been checked and complete. It wasn't. Two of the plastic pieces missing. I applied the stickers to all the other plastic playing pieces and tried it out. Not a waste of £1.50 but annoying that it was mis-advertised.

The game itself seems to be a poor man's Tri tactics.
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 12:01:54 AM »
My copy of Pandemic is from a garage sale. One of the card packs wasn't even opened when I grabbed it. I imagine the person got it as a gift, started to unpack it but decided to read the instructions first, got confused, and packed it away. I think it was 15 USD; maybe less. Not shabby at all. Most other garage sale/thrift store finds have been pretty poor and I usually don't end up playing the games more than once or twice.

Offline Valheru

• Marquis
  • Merit: 19
  • More tiles, less rules!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 05:21:44 AM »

Blasphemy! Thou shalt not insult Stratego! ;)
"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming..."

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 05:36:58 AM »
I think I've asked this before but any thrifters out there? Any good finds lately?

Thrift shopping virtually doesn't exist where I live (Switzerland), or at the very least it's not very culturally ingrained here.

For games, I personally prefer new games even though they obviously cost more, because I like everything to be in mint condition at least at the time that I buy it, and then I can take care of it myself and hopefully keep it in good condition. I played Tsuro with Dan and Decar in London last weekend and the board was very beaten up and not in great shape. So while I enjoyed the game, I would rather pay a bit more for a new copy than have a copy in that condition. Obviously you can get second-hand games that are 'Like New' or in 'Very Good' condition too. But I guess with new, you know what you're getting while with second-hand, you may never know what happened before it reached you.

Speaking of which, this reminds me of the famous Gretzky T206 Honus Wagner baseball card. Here is a nice short film about it.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:8983686

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • Merit: 26
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 05:18:15 PM »
I found Stratego. It was supposed to have been checked and complete. It wasn't. Two of the plastic pieces missing. I applied the stickers to all the other plastic playing pieces and tried it out. Not a waste of £1.50 but annoying that it was mis-advertised.

Having missing pieces would be annoying in that situation.

Just found a copy of Stratego - 40th Anniversary edition earlier this week. It has nice towers pieces, in the photo below. This is a title I usually wouldn’t seek out but that is part of the allure of Thriting is finding out of print gems that are not readily available and to hopefully pay as little as possible.  :)

Jungleboy, that was an interesting video. At least I haven’t caught that collecting bug  :o

Offline Chuck

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 3
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 09:29:14 PM »
Guys!!!!! I haven't thought or played Stratego for ages!! ;-)
Now I know what to do on the weekend: search it and convince my wife to play against me! :-D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
If you could ask Klaus-Jürgen Wrede one question

Started by Decar

9 Replies
Last post August 31, 2020, 11:35:38 PM
by Drodo
xx
Klaus-Jürgen Wrede - Homepage

Started by kettlefish

8 Replies
Last post July 26, 2015, 05:16:26 PM