Author Topic: 9 Strange Uses for Beer  (Read 5534 times)

Offline rfielder

• Marquis
  • Merit: 10
  • Carcassonne Beginner
    • View Profile
    • Cool Country Nights
9 Strange Uses for Beer
« on: June 07, 2015, 03:27:38 PM »
List removed due to objections.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1844.0
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 07:39:50 AM by rfielder »
Robert Fielder
Brampton, Ontario, Canada  EST

Offline asparagus

• Count
  • Merit: 11
  • I am a meeple not a sheeple.
    • View Profile
    • Fan Expansion Wiki
Re: 9 Strange Uses for Beer
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 11:43:55 PM »
And you really couldn;t find any way to relate this to Carcassonne? Could you not have invented a drinking game that only makes sense when combined with tile-laying game or something like that?

I have heard about the beer being used to kill slugs many times before. That sounds quite plausible.

The beer polishing gold sounds plausible but I would really like to see a scientific explanation for that one as it sounds like fairly basic chemistry. I'm guessing it's like the alcohol will dissolve most dirt but nit react with gold.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 12:21:00 AM by asparagus »

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 01:28:00 AM »
I'll definitely give number 5 a go.

I'm also wondering if in Carcassonne - like pool - my scoring ability goes up proportionally to the amount I've drunk.

Offline asparagus

• Count
    • View Profile
    • Fan Expansion Wiki
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 01:45:31 AM »
The more I look at this list the more suspicious I am of them. I trued to find the reference - found the main site but not your page. Please could you vomit up the original URL please.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 02:02:52 AM »
The Number 3 - Kill slugs & snails - works - I have tested it some years ago.

We have a number 10:
Drink hot beer if you have a cold.

Offline rfielder

• Marquis
  • Carcassonne Beginner
    • View Profile
    • Cool Country Nights
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 03:36:33 AM »
The more I look at this list the more suspicious I am of them. I trued to find the reference - found the main site but not your page. Please could you vomit up the original URL please.
Asparagus - I receive a biweekly email from the site.  This was from Volume 1432 - June 7, 2015.

You may wish to review the definition of "vomit"....  :)

Offline asparagus

• Count
    • View Profile
    • Fan Expansion Wiki
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 05:56:48 AM »
Asparagus - I receive a biweekly email from the site.  This was from Volume 1432 - June 7, 2015.

You may wish to review the definition of "vomit"....  :)

I've got the URL: http://strangecosmos.com/content/item/141635.html
I think "vomit" is quit accurate seeing as I still had to hunt it down although I meant it as a pun on well known effects of alcohol.

The mice one is already looking  pretty dubious or at least the death bit: http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=35369

I hate these sort of websites because people pass them around without actually checking if they are true. This one is probably pretty harmless but when you get to cures for cancer etc you're playing with peoples' lives.

Offline rfielder

• Marquis
  • Carcassonne Beginner
    • View Profile
    • Cool Country Nights
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 07:40:59 AM »
I hate these sort of websites because people pass them around without actually checking if they are true. This one is probably pretty harmless but when you get to cures for cancer etc you're playing with peoples' lives.
My apologies.

This was posted as a bit of humour.  It was not my intent to insult anyone, or to make any outrageous claims.

The list has been removed, and I will keep this in mind for the future.

Offline asparagus

• Count
    • View Profile
    • Fan Expansion Wiki
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 07:54:17 AM »
My apologies.

This was posted as a bit of humour.  It was not my intent to insult anyone, or to make any outrageous claims.

The list has been removed, and I will keep this in mind for the future.

Apologies accepted and not actually necessary anyway. It wasn't exactly unfunny and you had every right to post it. It is the phenomenon of misinformation in society and the internet in particular that upsets me not you.

If everybody had to censor their views, so as to not contradict my opinions, my life would be very boring because everyone would agree with me, at least publically.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 09:09:51 AM by asparagus »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 09:41:30 AM »
Seeing what has happened here I just wanted to chime in with my two cents pence worth...

As I see it, rfielder’s message was simply a bit of fun and for what it’s worth, I thought it was quite interesting regardless of whether it could be seen as sound advice or otherwise!  :) I'm not on anybody's "side" but I do think it was a shame that he felt inclined to take it down and I’m giving him a merit for the action he took purely because he was so willing to take someone else’s point of view on board.  :(y)

Whilst it stands to reason that the majority of this forum is dedicated to our shared love of Carcassonne, the “Anything Else” forum is just that, and as long as we don’t contravene any of the rules that we’re all required to agree to when we first sign-up for our accounts here, I think it pays to be mindful of the fact that some people may appreciate posts that others don’t. This is fine; we’re all different.

If something bothers you for personal reasons, whatever they may be, feel free to ignore that post unless you feel that it may be considered offensive by others too, in which case you should flag it up with an Admin or a Global Moderator.  C:-)

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 12:28:48 PM »
Well, I must at least say, the snopes.com site, asparagus listed, is really great. I had a lot of interesting reads there today. My favourite is, how this stupidity (which was featured some years ago in an Austrian TV quiz show as "true fact") is taken down.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 12:31:22 PM by Hounk »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
grin
Non-standard uses for gaming material

Started by DIN0

2 Replies
Last post March 02, 2022, 01:04:18 PM
by DIN0
clip
New uses of the Travel Edition

Started by SxN

3 Replies
Last post March 03, 2022, 08:26:12 AM