Author Topic: Getting back into Carcassonne / H&G buying question  (Read 7394 times)

Offline Evert

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Getting back into Carcassonne / H&G buying question
« on: April 08, 2018, 03:51:23 AM »
Good day,

I used to play Carcassonne fairly regularly back in the day, and I've recently gotten back in to playing it now that my son is old enough to play the game (although he seems to prefer Catan for the time being). I owned the base game (999 Games first edition) as well as the Inns&Cathedrals, Traders&Builders, Princess&Dragon, River, River II, King&Scout, Count and Cathars expansions - although Princess & Dragon saw more play in providing tokens for D&D and I didn't play Cathars until recently either. Several years ago I got Bridges & Bazaars as a gift and I picked up the Goldmine mini-expansion, but that was about it. Getting back into it, tracked down Abbey & Mayor and Hills & Sheep in the original art style (I don't actively hate the new art style, it has a colourful and crisp quality that works well, though I prefer the whimsical quality of the original art and have absolutely no intention of mixing the two art styles, ever. My son, funnily enough, took one look at the new art style and declared it to be hideous). I think that means I'm mostly sorted for expansions I'm interested in, although I'm sorry I missed out on Ferries and Witch & Wizard (the first seems like fun, the second seems like it would go well thematically with the fairy and the dragon). Maybe Crop Circles too.
Anyway, while I was browsing for expansions in the old art style, I came across the "author package" on CundCo (I love that they call it a päckchen) and picked that up on a whim. To my surprise, it came with twelve mint Hunter & Gatherer tiles, a Hunters & Gatherers score board, and a package of five Meeples + 2 houses in five colours (they're not the right style to be actual Hunters & Gatherers Meeple though).

Now, I never got Hunters & Gatherers back in the day, because it seemed like a themed version of Carcassonne, and why would I fork out cash to buy that if I already had the normal game (I'm in general not a fan of themed versions of games). Since then, I've read through the rules and realised that it actually has some neat changes from vanilla Carcassonne, and would probably find it neat to have as an alternative.
So here I am, with a decent bunch of Hunter & Gatherer tiles (plus the ones from Scout, which are still mint) and enough Meeples to play the game (which would have been true even without the ones from the authorpack), but not actually enough of them to play the game. What I would really like is to pick up the missing tiles so the game becomes playable. I don't need the box, my Carcassonne box is large enough to hold the H&G tiles in addition to everything else (especially if I get over myself and finally take out the cardboard insert). I could actually do without the score board too.

Obviously I could try to pick up the game second hand, but it seems to be quite expensive/hard to find. Ordering individual tiles through CundCo is possible (and would be the cheapest option before postage), but this isn't what their replacement service is for. I suppose I could contact them and explain the situation, hoping that they'd be willing to sell me the tiles I want, but I was wondering if anyone here has alternative suggestions? Thanks!

EDIT: Sorry, this was meant to go in the general forum... must have not been paying attention while posting... :-\

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3915.0
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 05:04:18 AM by Evert, Reason: spelling »

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 40
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
Re: Getting back into Carcassonne / H&G buying question
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 04:37:42 AM »
At this time, its pretty hard to even find someone who's still selling the old art carcassonne. The hunt for old art expensions was hard before but almost impossible these days. The 999-games editions are almost nowhere to be seen. You could try some local gameshops. Or the dutch Marktplaats voor possible editions still in plastic or almost never been used (I see some H&G editions there..).

hope you will find some!

Offline Evert

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 05:14:45 AM »
The website dedeobbelsteen.com has a bunch of original 999 Games Carcassonne expansions listed as available - at a hefty price though.
There are indeed some H&G games up on Marktplaats, for prices that don't seem too shabby. I guess I'll go with that if I can't figure out a decent way to get just the tiles I want (it just feels wasteful to get the full game if all I want are the tiles).

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 08:20:04 AM »
I have a spare copy of Hunters & Gatherers that I can let go for £20.00 plus shipping. I also have a spare copy of the GQ Mini expansion if you are interested?

Regards Halfling
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline cletus81

• Freeman
  • Merit: 1
  • updated profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 02:23:59 AM »
Anyway, while I was browsing for expansions in the old art style, I came across the "author package" on CundCo (I love that they call it a päckchen) and picked that up on a whim. To my surprise, it came with twelve mint Hunter & Gatherer tiles, a Hunters & Gatherers score board, and a package of five Meeples + 2 houses in five colours (they're not the right style to be actual Hunters & Gatherers Meeple though).

Now, I never got Hunters & Gatherers back in the day, because it seemed like a themed version of Carcassonne, and why would I fork out cash to buy that if I already had the normal game (I'm in general not a fan of themed versions of games). Since then, I've read through the rules and realised that it actually has some neat changes from vanilla Carcassonne, and would probably find it neat to have as an alternative.

Hello, me too I have recently bought the Autorenpäckchen on CundCo website and I am pretty disappointed about the content of the box. While the wood pieces are pretty much the same of the pictures, the banknotes are really bad assorted (I have only 1, 200 and 500 values, missing all the intermediate ones!); also it came with only one label A4 sheet (instead of the two promised on their website) and I didn't get blank sheets of tiles but only a 12 sheet tiles from H&G me too. Since I already have this game, if you are interested in this sheet maybe we can do a swap or, if you don't have nothing interesting for me, I can sell you for 2 € plus shipping. Of course, you need to be sure that it is not the same sheet, since it seems that this Autorenpäckchen is simply a bunch of spare parts they produced or printed in excess (the bag of 5 meeples + 2 houses, which I also found on my box, belongs to "Over Hill and Dale").

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 04:20:19 AM »
I have a spare copy of Hunters & Gatherers that I can let go for £20.00 plus shipping. I also have a spare copy of the GQ Mini expansion if you are interested?

Did anyone bite on this (not literally)? If not, I might still be interested... O:-)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 04:23:12 AM by danisthirty »

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 04:39:40 AM »
Hi Evert and Dan. I am happy to sell H&G, to either of you and indeed the GQ mini too. I pm'ed Evert yesterday and established he is in NL. Happy to post overseas as I have for many other forum members. If I have not heard back by midday tomorrow I will Pm you Dan.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 05:00:07 AM »
Hi Evert and Dan. I am happy to sell H&G, to either of you and indeed the GQ mini too. I pm'ed Evert yesterday and established he is in NL. Happy to post overseas as I have for many other forum members. If I have not heard back by midday tomorrow I will Pm you Dan.

:(y)

Offline Evert

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 12:54:41 PM »
Hello, me too I have recently bought the Autorenpäckchen on CundCo website and I am pretty disappointed about the content of the box. While the wood pieces are pretty much the same of the pictures, the banknotes are really bad assorted (I have only 1, 200 and 500 values, missing all the intermediate ones!); also it came with only one label A4 sheet (instead of the two promised on their website) and I didn't get blank sheets of tiles but only a 12 sheet tiles from H&G me too. Since I already have this game, if you are interested in this sheet maybe we can do a swap or, if you don't have nothing interesting for me, I can sell you for 2 € plus shipping. Of course, you need to be sure that it is not the same sheet, since it seems that this Autorenpäckchen is simply a bunch of spare parts they produced or printed in excess (the bag of 5 meeples + 2 houses, which I also found on my box, belongs to "Over Hill and Dale").
The H&G tiles I have appear to be js25-js36 from the CundCo tile list. If I can't collect the game tile by tile, I reckon it wouldn't break the game to add them to a complete game (although... there's the thing with bonus tiles to consider).
The authorpack appears to be a collection of whatever leftover stock/misprints they happen to have lying around. Mine didn't come with any banknotes, but there is a complete cardgame in there that I haven't taken the trouble to use the instructions for, a stack of resource cards, about six or seven mis-printed dice (missing 1 and 6 but having extra 2 and 5; I'll probably sand those down for custom dice) and a ton of pawns and other tokens. Oh, and a random game board. It did include blank hexagonal tiles.
I'm not entirely convinced it's good value for money either, but it's pretty cheap, and I mainly got it for my kids so they don't need to borrow tokens from my game collection when they're inventing their own board game.

EDIT: completely forgot to ask: what sort of thing are you looking for to replace the H&G cards? I can't think of things I'd want to get rid of off the top of my head, but that doesn't mean I don't have anything lying around.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 12:57:55 PM by Evert »

Offline Evert

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2018, 01:00:11 PM »
Did anyone bite on this (not literally)? If not, I might still be interested... O:-)
Ow, now you've gone and made me feel guilty about being interested.  :-[

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 02:00:26 PM »
Ow, now you've gone and made me feel guilty about being interested.  :-[

No need to feel guilty. First come first served!

Offline cletus81

• Freeman
  • Merit: 1
  • updated profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2018, 10:09:11 AM »
The H&G tiles I have appear to be js25-js36 from the CundCo tile list. If I can't collect the game tile by tile, I reckon it wouldn't break the game to add them to a complete game (although... there's the thing with bonus tiles to consider).
The authorpack appears to be a collection of whatever leftover stock/misprints they happen to have lying around. Mine didn't come with any banknotes, but there is a complete cardgame in there that I haven't taken the trouble to use the instructions for, a stack of resource cards, about six or seven mis-printed dice (missing 1 and 6 but having extra 2 and 5; I'll probably sand those down for custom dice) and a ton of pawns and other tokens. Oh, and a random game board. It did include blank hexagonal tiles.
I'm not entirely convinced it's good value for money either, but it's pretty cheap, and I mainly got it for my kids so they don't need to borrow tokens from my game collection when they're inventing their own board game.

EDIT: completely forgot to ask: what sort of thing are you looking for to replace the H&G cards? I can't think of things I'd want to get rid of off the top of my head, but that doesn't mean I don't have anything lying around.
Hello, I checked on CundCo tile list, the 12 tiles are JS-01/JS-12.
To be honest, I don't know what to ask for to replace, I have pretty much everything concerning Carcassonne tiles (I only miss Cult Siege and Creativity  but it has definitely a higher value than this sheet). If you have something you don't need, try to make me an offer!!!
Actually also Sinscerly sent me a PM about this sheet, but I didn't understand if he was interested in a trade. If you want, I can also consider your offer!

Offline Sinscerly

• Viscount
  • Merit: 30
  • Loving to play.
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia - Wiki-CAR
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2018, 08:12:22 AM »
Hello, I checked on CundCo tile list, the 12 tiles are JS-01/JS-12.
To be honest, I don't know what to ask for to replace, I have pretty much everything concerning Carcassonne tiles (I only miss Cult Siege and Creativity  but it has definitely a higher value than this sheet). If you have something you don't need, try to make me an offer!!!
Actually also Sinscerly sent me a PM about this sheet, but I didn't understand if he was interested in a trade. If you want, I can also consider your offer!
Yeah I'm intrested, but don't know what to offer you for a trade :(

I heard you didn't had a H&G set yet, right?
"What things can you find? Things that are hidden?
Do you know The WikiCarpedia?

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2018, 08:44:54 AM »
I have one on offer with gq expansion but postage cost may be the problem.

Offline Sinscerly

• Viscount
  • Merit: 30
  • Loving to play.
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia - Wiki-CAR
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2018, 09:35:50 AM »
Shipping isn't bad from here I think 10 euro with DHL to europe

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
question
Convince me into getting Carcassonne Edition 2

Started by SRBO

17 Replies
Last post January 27, 2017, 02:19:26 PM
by Halfling
xx
I gave in to getting Carcassonne 2.0....

Started by Ry4Christ

10 Replies
Last post November 30, 2016, 01:10:46 PM
by Ry4Christ
xx
The Barbarian Report: The Labyrinth – Getting Dizzier

Started by Whaleyland

1 Replies
Last post April 21, 2016, 04:57:48 AM
by dirk2112
xx
Getting a response from Cundco after DHL lost my package