Author Topic: A Carcassonne League?  (Read 83975 times)

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
Re: A Carcassonne League?
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2014, 01:56:13 AM »
Hi all,
I don't really have time for a full review but a  quick one is in order.

Game 1.
The first game started with a cloister for me and quickly followed with me getting almost all of them.  the scores were pretty much even throughout the game however a battle ensued for ownership of an enormous city which Rfielder won. I thought all was lost as he also had control of the main farm but I managed to get in on it, however in the last few tiled my esteemed opponent connected another farmer and blocked all possibilities of a win for me. Robert played well!

Game 2
Our second game started in almost exactly the same manor as the first but in reverse. Some lucky tile draws and fighting placements got me an early lead. I kept the lead, blocking Robert's cities, and dominated the farm from start to finish although Robert fought well.

Just lay the damn tile!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2014, 02:37:17 AM »
Well done everyone!

Round 1 is now complete so here are the current standings (as I see them) going into Round 2 (please let me know if you think I've made any mistakes):

I don't think these mean very much at the moment as we're at such an early stage, and I'm expecting things to change dramatically over the next couple of rounds (certainly in my case anyway)! Congratulations to everyone involved for enabling the league to get off the ground. I'm already enjoying it immensely and I've only played one match! I hope you are too...

So without further ado, here are the fixtures for Round 2:

Carcking vs jungleboy
danisthirty vs jvnoledawg
MrNumbers vs rfielder
quevy vs Rosco

As before, please arrange your matches by email ensuring that both players get to start in one game each (start player determined by order of connection rather than colour - sorry for any confusion). Let me know your scores (via screenshots if possible) so that I can update the overall scores, and feel free to post a write-up of your match in the "Reviews & Session Reports" section if you're able to, linking to it from this thread.

If neither you nor your opponent is able to host a game please let me know when you've arranged to play and I'll happily host it for you.

Let's go!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 04:02:24 PM by danisthirty »

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2014, 04:44:49 AM »
Great stuff Dan, thanks again for all your work.

I definitely need to pick up all three points this round to catch up with the leaders!

Offline evmillan

• Duke
  • Merit: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2014, 04:47:32 AM »
Great report danisthirty!

Some Sports Channels are looking for people to manage the stats in the World Cup.  :))

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2014, 05:28:55 AM »
@jungleboy - I think Carcking may have something to say about that! I'm sure it will be an excellent match...

@evmillan - if it was a Carcassonne World Cup I'd be only too happy to! I love the idea of lots of experts sitting round a table commentating on tile placements, general tactics and blocking opportunities etc:

"Now this is an interesting tile placement as he's leaving Joe with an opportunity to finish his city here in favour of getting a second farmer of his own onto the main farm! How do you think that's likely to play out Nick?"

"Well, it could go either way. Technically the odds are in his favour but he could be playing a dangerous game here if Joe draws the tile he needs before he does. Both players will be only too well aware that with just 15 tiles left in the bag it's certainly risky at this stage..."

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2014, 10:01:11 AM »
I definitely need to pick up all three points this round to catch up with the leaders!

haha - not if I have anything to say about it! ;)
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2014, 10:31:18 AM »
I'd like to join the next tournament when the current one will be over. Let me know! (In the meantime, if you play on iOS, feel free to challenge me! Just send me a private msg.)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2014, 02:06:11 AM »
Hi Jere, it would be great to have you on board!

Since we're only on the 2nd of 7 rounds at present it's difficult to say when the current league will finish. All being well, I think it will either have finished or be near completion towards the end of next month. Based on how much fun it's already been I'm hoping there will be enough interest to kick off another league very soon after that, and will be sure to contact you about it at the time.

Until then, I recommend downloading JCloisterZone (http://jcloisterzone.com/en/) and getting used to it. The AI opponents aren't bad, but if you wanted to get some practise in against some real opponents I'm sure that most of the people taking part in the current league (myself included) would be more than happy to play against you.

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2014, 06:08:34 AM »
For better communication between League participants regarding playing games through different time zones, question arises how to know exact time difference between two players (time zones, DST, etc.). There are many websites that show time in other cities and countries, I just chose one: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/
Hope this helps someone to easier manage their matches.
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2014, 09:13:42 AM »
We had good match with Robert (rfielder) today. After persistent struggle I won both games: 113-77 and 117-72. Later I will try to write a small review (if rfielder won't do it faster).

Offline rfielder

• Marquis
  • Merit: 10
  • Carcassonne Beginner
    • View Profile
    • Cool Country Nights
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2014, 06:18:57 AM »
MrNumbers vs rfielder:

We played.

He won, very convincingly.

Good games!

Amazing technology.  We are almost 7,000km apart, Brampton to Riga, and 7 hours apart.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 06:20:33 AM by rfielder »
Robert Fielder
Brampton, Ontario, Canada  EST

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2014, 04:09:44 AM »
So it looks like Mr Numbers has emerged as the big star in this competition so far. The Martins Dukurs of Carcassonne :)

(For those who don't know, Martins Dukurs is a star Latvian skeleton athlete and I believe Mr Numbers is also Latvian.)

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2014, 06:52:50 AM »
I believe Mr Numbers is also Latvian.

Technically I am Latvian: I was born in Riga (when it was in USSR) and live here all the time, I have Latvian citizenship and I perfectly know Latvian language. But my native language is Russian and I have nationality "Russian" in my passport.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 06:54:25 AM by MrNumbers »

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2014, 07:20:03 AM »
Technically I am Latvian: I was born in Riga (when it was in USSR) and live here all the time, I have Latvian citizenship and I perfectly know Latvian language. But my native language is Russian and I have nationality "Russian" in my passport.

Thanks for letting us know! In this case you can be the Alex Ovechkin or Alexander Tretiakov of Carcassonne :)

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2014, 11:27:47 AM »
jungleboy, thank you for the compliment! ^-^
But our League just started and everything can happen :D
See you on our match! ;)

By the way, I have written a report for our match with rfielder.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
clip
Carcassonne League Round 1: jungleboy v jvnoledawg

Started by jungleboy

5 Replies
Last post May 08, 2014, 07:05:45 PM
by Carcking
clip
Carcassonne League Round 2: MrNumbers vs. Rfielder

Started by MrNumbers

1 Replies
Last post May 20, 2014, 01:46:42 PM